Topic: Natural Selection 2:

Offline =C=

• Devoted Member
  • =C= has no influence.
I haven't updated this in a while, but the beta builds are up to 177.

Loads of bug fixes between then and now.  But the game is much more playable then it was before.

Reply #50 Posted: May 12, 2011, 09:33:07 am
Intel i7 860 @ 4Ghz OC | ASUS P7P55D Pro | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | GTX 980 SLI | 860W PSU | Lian-Li DragonLord Case K62B | ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound h4x |

Offline =C=

• Devoted Member
  • =C= has no influence.
With the release of 179 this game is much more playable then previously.  You can now actually have a full game.  The netcode has been greatly improved along with server side tweaks.

NS2 Build 179
June 14, 2011

The latest patch for the Natural Selection 2 Beta is now available on Steam. If you have pre-ordered the game it should automatically update on Steam. If you would like to pre-order and get instant access to the beta, you can still do so here.

Build 179 changes This build is mostly bug and balance fixes.

Server optimizations - Server should use less CPU with more players, resulting in a smoother experience. We're still improving this, but you should see a noticeable improvement.
    ns2_summit updated - Visual changes to Crevice and Welcome Area, added clip brushes for railings, fixed Generator power node, removed a lot of geometry from commander view to reduce griefing possibilities
    Added faint version of parasite indicator when marines are on infestation
    Aliens can now evolve upgrades without changing lifeform
    Added basic bile bomb Gorge ability (balance identical to NS1)
    Bilebomb researchable at the Whip and purchased from the alien buy menu
    Bumped whip movement speed to make uprooting used more.
    Increased ARC range to NS1 levels
    Fixed an issue where PowerPacks when recycled would not power down the things they were powering
    Marines sprinting on infestation move much slower than regular sprint (walking is speed 5, sprinting is 6, sprinting on infestation is 5.2). Thanks Revenge!
    Shotgun cost reduced from 25 to 15 (it was inflated from previous versions and NS1 and should help address the feelings of poverty on the marine side)
    Reduced Fade armor from 100 to 50 (translates to 20% less total "health" and should compensate for the fact that the Fades are now invulnerable while blinking, which wasn't the case in NS1...but it NS2 was using the health and armor values from NS1.)
    Reduced ARC cost from 25 to 20 (ARCs seem a bit rare and much of their cost is in the Robotics Factory. Pathing-related deaths are another reason for this change. Also note, all damage-dealing capabilities must cost personal res, not team res.)
    Fixed bug where Gorges could help speed building of hives (should prevent Fades from showing up early)
    Lowered energy recuperation when on fire from 20% per second to 10% per second (improves its "crippling" effect on Fades and others)
    Fixed an issue with HotGroups not working properly
    Fixed an issue where the ARC would not damage targets that were close and had a wall between them.
    Added profile to the dedicated server (can be activated with the -console command line switch)
    Reworked spectating to fix various problems
    Added ARC death sound
    Fixed bug where player energy was replenished when exiting hive (abusable)
    Fixed bug where lights set to "Ignore Power grid" were affected
    Fixed pistol quick-reload exploit
    Fixed bug where ARCs going outside of the map bounds would cause the server to generate crippling errors messages
    New look for powered down rooms - oscillates between complete darkness and a light reddish tint (not RED like before)
    Mute Fade velocity when coming out of blink instead of zeroing it out
    Added air control for Blink (you can now blink in any direction!). Initial forward velocity when starting blink is only given if no direction held down.
    Fixed animation blending
    Players, Drifters, ARCs, and MACs are now shown with the correct minimap icon
    Minimap icons are now rotated based on the rotation of the Player, Structure, MAC, etc
    Slowed down the backing up animation to be more in sync with the movement
    Fixed bug where add on upgrades for specific aliens wouldn't show up on the buy menu
    Purchased alien upgrades are now given after evolution is complete, not before
    Each alien upgrade takes 2 seconds extra time to evolve
    Added idle variants to the phase gate
    Fixed bug where "C" is bound to both voice menu and minimap (Z should be sayings 1, X sayings 2, C minimap, V votemenu)
    Whip shouldn't hit targets that then move out of range (and start rooted)
    Whips now attack proper "engagement" points (ie, base of Command Station)
    When a power node gets destroyed, light_ambients keep their original color (thanks Mendasp!)
    When on the spectator team show spectator on the scoreboard
    Delayed showing the crosshair until we know which crosshair to display, prevents the entire texture being shown as the crosshair when the player is loading into the game
    Fixed an issue where the gorge would not place a hydra or infestation down right away but would wait for the animation to complete. We now place it right away after starting the effect(it doesn't look that bad :P)
    Fixed an issue where when researching other tabs and tech became unusable.
    Fixed an issue where if you were a commander and the game ended it was possible to cause a script error
    Fixed bug where Drifter wouldn't build if commander left hive
    Refactored some code related to command button availability
    Fixed some issues with buttons being available for the commander when building.Added tooltip error message when too many entities in an area
    Fixed bug where aliens could fall through vents or the world while evolving
    Revised muzzle flash
    Fixed an error when selecting doors
    Draw text for hive sight blips for "needs healing", "under attack", "follow me" and "chuckles"
    Fixed ARC still playing sounds and effects after death
    Fix to ARC pointing wrong direction
    Added sound feedback for Frenzy and Swarm
    Fixed bug where "ghost" players could get left on the server if a client crashed during connection
    Fixed memory leak when shutting down a Network Host
    Fixed bug where spectating on alien team at end of game would keep you spectating in the ready room

You can always keep up to date with what we're working on for the next patch with our real-time progress tracker and don't forget to follow our Twitter account.

Reply #51 Posted: July 03, 2011, 04:36:48 pm
Intel i7 860 @ 4Ghz OC | ASUS P7P55D Pro | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | GTX 980 SLI | 860W PSU | Lian-Li DragonLord Case K62B | ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound h4x |

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
So game goes live tomorrow, I think I have a copy gifted to me by =C= . Will have a look and play if it is and perhaps setup an GetSome server.

I remember the old school NS games we use to play, I wonder if it will carry on or like most squeals , crash and burn.

Reply #52 Posted: October 30, 2012, 06:37:15 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
I've been gifted a copy so... Keen for servers

Some Screenies make it look good http://imgur.com/a/ZP9QV

Reply #53 Posted: October 31, 2012, 10:09:06 am

Offline hoodieblanket

• Addicted
  • hoodieblanket has no influence.
anyone want to team up when it comes out? i am a ns noob so ill most likely drag you down

Reply #54 Posted: October 31, 2012, 11:21:37 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Shit yeah. Maybe we can get a TS chanell for this.

Reply #55 Posted: October 31, 2012, 11:25:53 am

Offline hoodieblanket

• Addicted
i am so keen. Hopefully some good aussie servers are up on release

Reply #56 Posted: October 31, 2012, 11:29:59 am

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Got a local 20 slot server up. Going to need to relearn this game !_!

Reply #57 Posted: October 31, 2012, 02:55:08 pm

Offline hoodieblanket

• Addicted
hold me a slot ! its taking steam too damn long to download the last 20%

Reply #58 Posted: October 31, 2012, 02:56:32 pm

Offline Emrico1

Quote from: .osiRiS;1507137
Got a local 20 slot server up. Going to need to relearn this game !_!

Wholly shit man. Mega high five*

Reply #59 Posted: October 31, 2012, 04:55:35 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Where are you guys getting all these gifted copies form?

I bloody want one.

Reply #60 Posted: October 31, 2012, 06:47:55 pm

Offline Emrico1

Just played for maybe 2 hours... Not that great so far.

Reply #61 Posted: October 31, 2012, 10:33:42 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: .osiRiS;1506990
I remember the old school NS games we use to play, I wonder if it will carry on or like most squeals , crash and burn.

I feel the decision to move away from the asymmetric play style between aliens and marines (with the addition of alien commander) wasn't a great start.

Reply #62 Posted: October 31, 2012, 11:38:48 pm

Offline Emrico1

From what I have been told it gets better with playtime.
I think it is more a blat for people who loved NS1 than a good game to get into.

Reply #63 Posted: November 01, 2012, 10:01:11 am

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Quote from: toofast;1507223
I feel the decision to move away from the asymmetric play style between aliens and marines (with the addition of alien commander) wasn't a great start.

I understand what they are trying to do but it just means you need to have a competent Commander for each side or you get steam rolled. I think I might just take up the position - Commander .osiRiS has a ring to it ;)

I'm going to jump into training today and work myself up to more live games.

Reply #64 Posted: November 01, 2012, 10:26:35 am

Offline hoodieblanket

• Addicted
yea i thought 'meh', then as I put in more hours it really becomes good. I had to wake up early today because I was eager to jump back in there

Reply #65 Posted: November 01, 2012, 11:57:18 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
is it worth the money for somebody who loves rts and fps but never played the original

Reply #66 Posted: November 01, 2012, 09:33:20 pm

Codex

Yes

Reply #67 Posted: November 01, 2012, 10:10:07 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Quote from: Xsannz;1507359
is it worth the money for somebody who loves rts and fps but never played the original

For $25 to eat hoodies face off is worth it.

Reply #68 Posted: November 01, 2012, 10:27:09 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Can think of a few forum newbies I'd like to maul as an alien.

Reply #69 Posted: November 01, 2012, 10:37:46 pm

Codex

They probably all want to maul your mother

Reply #70 Posted: November 02, 2012, 08:48:23 am

Offline =C=

• Devoted Member
  • =C= has no influence.
I haven't updated this thread in a long while but I'm really enjoying the fresh meat especially as a skulk :D

Hope you're enjoying the gift osiRiS

PS I love the low ping server.  :)
Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:42:34 pm by =C=

Reply #71 Posted: November 02, 2012, 03:03:51 pm

Offline hoodieblanket

• Addicted
I think I am too good at this game. They should nerf me and my big gorgie plays

Reply #72 Posted: November 02, 2012, 09:08:49 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Quote from: =C=;1507464
I haven't updated this thread in a long while but I'm really enjoying the fresh meat especially as a skulk :D

Hope you're enjoying the gift osiRiS

PS I love the low ping server.  :)

Very much so mate, thanks again ( thought you had shafted me as I couldn't play the beta ;) )

Need an GetSome stack one game I had a good battle with you hoodie the night before think we ended up at 1:1 in personal scores.

Reply #73 Posted: November 02, 2012, 09:17:40 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Watched some vids on this last night. Looks really fun. Might look into it after exams.

Reply #74 Posted: November 03, 2012, 08:36:02 am