Topic: Print folk

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I have an A0 sized poster (I did 150 ppi cause they said they don't care about res) to submit for uni.

They want it in pdf format less than 6MB

What settings should I make/do?

I have no idea what it's being printed on.

Posted: April 29, 2013, 10:54:45 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
What are you exporting from?

This is typical of uni-heads. "they don't care about resolution".

No, but you'll all care when your poster comes out looking like spaghetti.

If you send me a working file, I can run it through distiller and make sure it's at a decent res with minimal file size.

Reply #1 Posted: April 29, 2013, 11:00:52 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1524291
What are you exporting from?

This is typical of uni-heads. "they don't care about resolution".

No, but you'll all care when your poster comes out looking like spaghetti.

If you send me a working file, I can run it through distiller and make sure it's at a decent res with minimal file size.

Photoshop.

I fully know what will happen if it doesn't have a high enough res.

So it's a 150Mb .psd file, what's the best way of getting it to you?

Reply #2 Posted: April 29, 2013, 11:13:54 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Jesus balls.

PM me your email address and I've give you access to my Dropbox to which you can upload it to.

Or, if you have a Dropbox, you can upload it to your own and give me access to it.

Reply #3 Posted: April 29, 2013, 11:24:12 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Ah, if you've designed the whole thing half res in photoshop, then maybe it can be re put together better in illustrator.
If you keep the text (assuming there is some) as vector and isolate the images you should be OK. Epmty areas won't cost you in file size and you can control the compression on the images until you have the file size as small as 6mb or lower. I'm sure Rii will hook you up :)

Reply #4 Posted: April 29, 2013, 01:15:36 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I was just going to dump the PSD into an indesign document, push it out as a postscript and then distill it.

Usually keeps good quality in friendly file sizes when the original artwork has been done in Photoshop.

Reply #5 Posted: April 29, 2013, 01:40:20 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Distiller will just compress the huge image.

Which is fine if the poster requires the whole space as an image but it might only require small image areas in which case you could get a full quality file at 6mb maybe.
It all depends on the design of the poster really.
Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:08:05 pm by Emrico1

Reply #6 Posted: April 29, 2013, 01:55:47 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Emrico1;1524305
Distiller will just compress the huge image.

Which is fine if the poster requires the whole space as an image but it might only require small image areas in which case you could get a full quality file at 6mb maybe.
It all depends on the design of the poster really.

Yep. However, if I choose to distill it at "press quality" the compression shouldn't be an issue.

Reply #7 Posted: April 29, 2013, 02:17:00 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
submitted.

Thanks for the help though guys

Reply #8 Posted: April 29, 2013, 03:24:55 pm