Topic: change is a good thing

Offline Mellcor

• Just settled in
  • Mellcor is looked down upon.
not quite sure if there is a format im supposed to follow for this but i would like to propose the GetSome TF2 trade (and aparently idle) server
have its the config concerning idlers and how long they remain on the server changed from 999999999 (were they can idle) to 30 (witch is half an hour i think)

i would like this change because idlers bring nothing to the server, all they do is take up slots that could be used by active players to trade, witch isnt the entire point of a
trade server, and when people know a server were they can find a large varity of traders they come back, they bring their friends and so on increasing
the popularity of the server and isnt that what we want? a popular server that everyone wants to be on

should this be reason enough, what if i got a number people from the server to sign up and voice their support would that convince you to make said change

(oh btw this is mostly directed at osiris but feel free to voice your support/opposition to my suggested change)

Posted: May 30, 2013, 10:30:36 pm
<============]\\\\[============>
                              M E L L C O R

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
It probably should have changed when I renamed it anyway.

Reply #1 Posted: May 30, 2013, 10:35:00 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
The server would probably end up empty
Whereas at the moment its popularity seems to be spreading to the other servers (which do have reasonable kick times) and filling them up with players

Perhaps leave it how it is imo, I can't think of once when I have tried to connect to the trade server and not been able to get a slot in a reasonable amount of time anyway

Reply #2 Posted: May 30, 2013, 10:54:33 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline JoyfulSorrowZ

• I Posted!
  • JoyfulSorrowZ has no influence.
I really think that changing the idling system would be great. Almost everytime i try to come on to the server, it is full. So i decide to check the server status and i see many people on the server that are most likely to be idle as they have been on the server for more than 6 hours. I really think that the idlers only take up space on the server and this is my usual server where i can make *profits*, as most of my trading are done there and sometimes, it is also irritating that when i'm on the server and people are spawn camping, at least more than half the team is idling and they aren't really helping. Therefore i agree that there should be a change in the new idle system. After all, change is for the better.

Reply #3 Posted: May 30, 2013, 11:13:23 pm

Offline Ethanor

• Just settled in
  • Ethanor has no influence.
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1526135
The server would probably end up empty
Whereas at the moment its popularity seems to be spreading to the other servers (which do have reasonable kick times) and filling them up with players

Perhaps leave it how it is imo, I can't think of once when I have tried to connect to the trade server and not been able to get a slot in a reasonable amount of time anyway

^ This

Spawn camping doesn't matter on this server so much as it is for trade and the thing that draws people to our server is because of the idle.

Reply #4 Posted: May 30, 2013, 11:27:36 pm

Offline Mellcor

• Just settled in
how dose idleing draw people to this server? i mean in witch way do we provide a better idling experience compared to other server?

why try to have a selling point such as "good server to idle on" when there are hundreds of other dedicated idle servers out there,
why not try to excel at a different aspect of trade servers that most seem to miss, the trading part

Reply #5 Posted: May 31, 2013, 07:25:39 pm
                              M E L L C O R

Offline Dumpy

• Game Server Admin
  • Dumpy has no influence.
Quote from: Mellcor;1526132
not quite sure if there is a format im supposed to follow for this but i would like to propose the GetSome TF2 trade (and aparently idle) server
have its the config concerning idlers and how long they remain on the server changed from 999999999 (were they can idle) to 30 (witch is half an hour i think)

i would like this change because idlers bring nothing to the server, all they do is take up slots that could be used by active players to trade, witch isnt the entire point of a
trade server, and when people know a server were they can find a large varity of traders they come back, they bring their friends and so on increasing
the popularity of the server and isnt that what we want? a popular server that everyone wants to be on

should this be reason enough, what if i got a number people from the server to sign up and voice their support would that convince you to make said change

(oh btw this is mostly directed at osiris but feel free to voice your supportt/opposition to my suggested change)

Nop not happening very sorry to disappoint.  yes  this is a trade servr but it is also an idle server.  Always has been.  might I suggest you stop staring the pot  or the next time you lose your admin you may not get it back

Reply #6 Posted: June 01, 2013, 03:16:04 pm

Offline kruz

• Game Server Admin
  • kruz has no influence.
My experience from the outset of trading has been that there is no way to run a trade-idle server. The two practices are completely different, one is actively swapping wares, the other doesn't even have the account owner at his keyboard.

The GetSome server was officially changed from Trade-Idle to Trade only about a year ago at my request, and we have been actively pushing idlers off the server ever since then. If the server allows idlers, you may as well change the name of it to GetSome Idle server, as that is what it will become very quickly. Trading on a server full of idlers is pointless, as the idlers always outnumber the traders, and nothing changes hands.

I don't see Mellcors post as stirring, it is a polite, and genuine attempt to get the server running to its full potential, and he is 100% right when he says there are hundreds of idle friendly servers out there. This is all comes down to what GetSome want from the whole deal I guess.

Reply #7 Posted: June 01, 2013, 05:23:38 pm

Offline Dumpy

• Game Server Admin
  • Dumpy has no influence.
I wonder if it might be time for a second idle /trade server?

Reply #8 Posted: June 02, 2013, 08:14:10 am

Offline Mellcor

• Just settled in
possibly get rid of some of the servers that are rarely used?

Reply #9 Posted: June 02, 2013, 01:51:11 pm
                              M E L L C O R

Offline Mellcor

• Just settled in
-sigh-

well i tryed

please lock this thread as it looks like its gone as far as its gona go

Reply #10 Posted: June 16, 2013, 12:49:54 pm