Topic: WTB Laptop for uni work

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
Hey guys, any of you in Christchurch want to sell a laptop suitable for general use doing uni work, watching videos and stuff, no gaming. My girlfriend has started uni and wants me to pick her laptop.
Or should I advise her to go new?
How much she be expecting to spend?

Posted: November 28, 2014, 08:04:42 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Id just buy new. You never know with second hand laptops if they've been dropped or what the battery is like.

I don't really know price, but I think for 1k she should be able to get something decent. I guess it depends what size she wants. As far as brands I think ASUS and Dell are pretty good. Stay away from HP. If you can, have a look at one in a store, a lot of them are really cheap and flimsy, especially where the screen hinges are.

Reply #1 Posted: November 30, 2014, 09:20:03 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
At the start of the year, best value for money was the Macbook Pro with a 256GB SSD. I think I paid about $2000 for it with a student discount.

I don't want to sell it yet, I need to find a job first, then find out what my needs are.

As for buying new, I'd highly recommend the MBP.

Reply #2 Posted: December 01, 2014, 10:48:04 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I guess it depends what size she wants.

Hehehe

Reply #3 Posted: December 01, 2014, 01:59:13 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
In all honesty if its just for internet etc pretty much anything will suffice..

I don't game much on my laptop so my now somewhat aging highish end Core 2 Duo suffice, it's damn near 6 years old, battery only lasts ~2 hours now, but it still does the job fine for internet/office stuff.

Reply #4 Posted: December 01, 2014, 02:10:42 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
Also depends if she wants a netbook or laptop. Whatever you do I'd try go for something light weight, carrying a laptop + textbooks can get heavy. I had an HP and while the wireless sometimes had issues (wireless in the library sucks to connect to - although I noticed macbooks never had issues) it's lasted me 3 years and still has a 4-5 hour battery life which was great if I had back to back lectures and no power sockets (often the case).

Reply #5 Posted: December 01, 2014, 04:20:00 pm
snprkd

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
Thanks for the advice, I'll just tell her to go new. Will try and catch a good sale.

Reply #6 Posted: December 02, 2014, 03:19:26 pm

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
She has bought one now, can someone lock this thread.

Reply #7 Posted: December 03, 2014, 09:48:47 pm