Topic: Gig guide - up and coming gigs.

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
Quote from: bigROBOTbill;1015635
I'm going to Ry Cooder next Monday!
At the Civic!

Ry Cooder in Christchurch? How did I not know about this :(

One of the great understated legends of music. Have to get tickets somehow. Seems there is still tickets left for his show at the Town Hall. $60. Worth it and then some.

Reply #25 Posted: November 07, 2009, 08:58:00 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
  • Chilli has no influence.
Quote from: St!g;1015711
Ry Cooder in Christchurch? How did I not know about this :(

One of the great understated legends of music. Have to get tickets somehow. Seems there is still tickets left for his show at the Town Hall. $60. Worth it and then some.
Damn, thought most would know.

For you Stig :bounce:

Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe - Christchurch

Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe will showcase their celebrated careers and repertoires with a concert at the James Hay Theatre in Christchurch, Wednesday November 18th 2009.

Touring New Zealand for the first time in nearly 30 years the master slide guitarist will share the stage with his long-time friend and musical brother-in-arms, as well as his son, Joachim Cooder on drums, and vocalist Juliette Commagere.

Throughout his extensive career Cooder has enjoyed a wide ranging solo career, as well as playing and recording with such luminaries as Captain Beefheart, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Taj Mahal & Randy Newman. Last year saw the release of ‘I, Flathead’, the final part of his acclaimed Californian trilogy, inclusive of Chavez Ravine & My Name Is Buddy.

However to some Cooder is best known for his championing of everything from Hawaiian slack key guitar to Tex-Mes/Norteno, as well as for the world wide success of the Buena Vista Social Club, to his numerous film scores particularly Wim Wenders’ Paris, Texas.

Rolling Stone lists Cooder as one of the ten best guitarists of all time, rightly placing him amongst an elite group whose guitar style is instantly identifiable by a single note, in Cooder’s case, a haunting, heart-rendering slide tone.

Lowe’s career began a decade earlier with band Brinsley Schwarz, & later markedly influencing punk rock as producer for Stiff Records recording acts such as The Damned, Elvis Costello & The Pretenders. However, his own musical styling graduated through new wave, roots rock, country rhythm, blues & rock ‘n’ roll - most notable hit singles include Cruel To Be Kind and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding.

Performing the opening set and joining Cooder and Lowe on stage is special guest Juliette Commagere. The charismatic lead of indie-rock band Hello Stranger has stepped out on her own releasing solo debut album ‘Queens Die Proudly’.

Tickets on sale Monday 28th September from Ticketek.

cost:
Adults $99 - $139.90 plus booking fees.

featuring:
ry cooder, nick lowe, juliette commagere

dates:
Wed 18 Nov 09, 8:00pm

venue:
James Hay Theatre, 87 Kilmore St, Christchurch

region:
Canterbury, New Zealand

ticket outlets:
Book Tickets Online

Book direct here

Reply #26 Posted: November 07, 2009, 10:44:13 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Zig

• Just settled in
  • Zig has no influence.
I'm sure most do know. I seem to have an amazing to ability to miss every important bit of information that comes my way

Excellent, thanks man.

Reply #27 Posted: November 07, 2009, 10:51:06 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Shapeshifter - The System Is A Vampire Album Release.

When: Sat, 14 Nov 2009
Doors open: 9:00 pm

Town Hall, Christchurch
Entry: R18

In celebration of their highly anticipated new album The System Is A Vampire, Shapeshifter are offering their Christchurch fans the first chance to see their new album live.

Due to the later release date of Shapeshifter’s The System Is A Vampire, Shapeshifter have delayed their Christchurch Town Hall show to the new date of Saturday 14 November.

Shapeshifter will be performing exclusive debut performances of their brand new tracks alongside the hits they are known and loved for. Shapeshifter’s mind blowing performance will be complemented by a complete lighting and visual spectacular.

Shapeshifter at the Christchurch Town Hall is legendary - this will be the first time they have performed in the Christchurch Town Hall since the unforgettable release party of their third studio album, Soulstice which was recorded and released as Shapeshifter Live.

For those with already purchased tickets, these will be valid for the new date. Shapeshifter sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

The System Is A Vampire will be released on 16 November 2009.

:rnr:

Reply #28 Posted: November 13, 2009, 11:37:20 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Switchfoot confirmed to play at Mystery Creek.

The complete lineup for the 2010 Christian music festival Parachute has now been confirmed, and rockers Switchfoot are heading to Mystery Creek to join in the celebrations of the festival's 20th year.

Parachute spans four days, encompassing dozens of local and international Christian acts, plus guest speakers and entertainment.

Parachute 2010 will be held from January 29 - February 1 at Hamilton’s Mystery Creek.

Tickets are on sale now at iTicket.co.nz.

Reply #29 Posted: November 20, 2009, 10:02:54 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
:rnr: GREEN  DAY !! :rnr:

21st Century Breakdown Tour – December 2009
Tickets on sale Wednesday 1 July
Pre-sale commences June 25 via frontiertouring.com
visit http://www.frontiertouring.com for the most up to date information.

Friday 18 December, Vector Arena - All Ages

Saturday 19 December
, Vector Arena, Auckland - All Ages

Ticketmaster 0800 111 999 or http://www.ticketmaster.co.nz
*300 GA standing tickets available from Vector Arena Box Office, Mahuhu Cresent, Parnell, Auckland.

Reply #30 Posted: November 20, 2009, 10:06:47 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Advent

• Just settled in
  • Advent has no influence.
Parachute
Mystery Creek, Hamilton  
29Jan - 1Feb 2010
Get your tickets right now at http://www.iTicket.co.nz

-till December 16     -from December 17
Full Weekend Pass
-Adult    $152.00    -$172.00
-Child    $72.00    -$84.00
-Family    $364.00    -$412.00
Day Pass
-Adult    $80.00    -$80.00
-Child    $36.00    -$36.00
-Family    $180.00    -$180.00
Evening Pass
-Adult    $60.00    -$60.00
-Child    $28.00    -$28.00
-Family    $136.00    -$136.00

Reply #31 Posted: November 22, 2009, 12:32:19 pm

Offline Bobyoby

• Devoted Member
  • Bobyoby has no influence.
Paramore

Thursday March 4th
TelstraClear Pacific Events Centre, Auckland

and

Friday March 5th
Westpac Arena, Christchurch

Reply #32 Posted: November 26, 2009, 10:39:33 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Crocodiles

When: Wed, 02 Dec 2009
Doors open: 8:00 pm
Where:
The San Francisco Bath House, 171 Cuba Street, Wellington.

DEC 3rd at DUX DE LUX, CHRISTCHURCH
R18 FREE SHOW, strictly limited capcity

DEC 4th at MUM club, CASSETTE NO.9, AUCKLAND
R18 Late show, strictly limited capacity

DEC 5th at BACCO ROOM, AUCKLAND
All Ages and R18 show Doors Open 9pm + guests

The dark side of the California sun to shine on NZ as San Diego duo Crocodiles announce tour for December

Following their recent buzzed-about European and British jaunts, and forthcoming US excursion with The Horrors, San Diego’s Crocodiles are to bring their barbed-wire kisses to New Zealand for a series of shows – including an all ages matinee at Auckland’s Bacco Room.

For the uninitiated, Crocodiles songs began slinging across the Interweb after their friends in No Age named the band’s song “Neon Jesus” as one of their Top Ten shredders of 2008. Unprompted, the forward-thinking Fader Blog posted two more stunner tracks, ’I Wanna Kill’ and ’Summer of Hate’. The influential Stereogum site recently named them “Band to Watch” and described them as “The Velvet Underground swinging Jesus and Mary Chain.”

Crocodiles’ hometown San Diego is a sleepy military town, stuck between Tijuana and the bright lights of Los Angeles, but it isn't Surf City, USA. Hells Angels, jocks, drug casualties, and the medicated rich populate the beaches, and while warplanes rumble in and out of the naval base, the kids here are bored.

Charles Rowell and Brandon Welchez met as teenagers. Playing in various groups since then, the duo struck out on their own as Crocodiles in April of 2008. They quickly self-released a 7" single and used it as an excuse to escape their tarpit hometown, first touring up and down the west coast and then venturing across the whole of the U.S.

Crocodiles debut album ’Summer of Hate’ is born of the alienation and frustration fuelling Charles' and Brandon's initial pairing. Poppy vocal melodies are crushed with harsh electronic drums or lifted and left floating in spaced-out noise and echo. Loud, wiry guitars jab wildly like mutant synapses skirting along a tightrope drone.

TICKETS ON SALE NOW at http://www.utr.co.nz

Or get tickets here

Reply #33 Posted: November 27, 2009, 10:49:02 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline D.Scack

• I Posted!
  • D.Scack has no influence.
i just found some photos i took when i went to see RHCP early last year and it was awesome.

anyway my point is, for those people who ,whats the best live gig youve been to?

Reply #34 Posted: November 29, 2009, 02:34:42 pm

Offline ThaFleastyler

• Addicted
  • ThaFleastyler barely matters.ThaFleastyler barely matters.
Just got this in a press release from Shock Records:

The Prodigy

The Prodigy – “Invaders Must Die” Special Edition in store now!Touring February 2010
with Does It Offend You Yeah? + Special Guests

Future Entertainment is pleased to announce that legends of the early underground rave scene and big beat icons, The Prodigy, will be bringing the legendary noise, colour and excitement of their explosive LIVE performance to New Zealand in February 2010.

Since emerging from the UK’s underground rave scene in the early 1990s, The Prodigy have established themselves as one of the most dominant, dynamic and revered electronic acts of all time. Pioneers of the big beat genre, their unique mixture of Rave, Hardcore, Industrial and Breakbeat sounds, has seen them consistently captivate the planet’s electronic faithful and, in turn, sell more albums than any other dance music artist in history. From giving birth to iconic tracks like ‘Firestarter’, ‘Voodoo People’, ‘Smack My Bitch Up’ and ‘Breathe’ to forging chart-topping albums like ‘Music For The Jilted Generation’, ‘Fat Of The Land’ and 2009’s ‘Invaders Must Die’; The Prodigy are an explosive sonic voice for an entire generation of clubbers, ravers, punks and rockers worldwide whose live shows are the stuff of legend.

UK’s group “Does It Offend You Yeah?” are not your average cup of Earl Grey! The quartet has enjoyed a meteoric rise on the back of their debut album ‘You Don’t Know What You’re Getting Yourself Into’. Touted by Rolling Stone as “an obnoxious, dizzying, perfectly-of-the-moment blend of Daft Punk, Justice and Rage Against the Machine” DIOYY are renowned for their notoriously rowdy live shows and are set to cause a rawkus when they hit the stage in support of The Prodigy!

When:
Thu 25 Feb, 8:00pm  

Where: The Trusts Stadium Arena, 65-67 Central Park Dr, Henderson

Restrictions: All Ages

Ticket Information:
General Admission: $85.00

TicketDirect – 0800 4 TICKET

Reply #35 Posted: December 03, 2009, 10:06:51 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Buzz Deluxe; Tonight at the Thirsty Dog, $10.00 on the door
5th Threat may or may not be playing as well

souls 'n bones presents...

BUZZ DELUXE
...from Toronto, CANADA

Wednesday 2nd December - Mighty Mighty, WELLINGTON (18+)
w/ Special Guests

Thursday 3rd December - The Thirsty Dog, AUCKLAND (18+)
w/ The Bilge Rats & Bad Bride

"With the pure rockin' of the Flat Duo Jets and the technical bravado of Rev. Horton Heat, Buzz Deluxe strive for the delicate combination of the rawest and truest forms of edgy roots music, from rockabilly, surf guitar, gypsy swing, to full out garage rock. The sound is a marriage of driving rhythms and mysterious melodies that attempt to capture the listener's attention and keep it. Live, they deliver a mind-altering experience musically and visually as they work off of each other in a way that only two people who write and rehearse almost every single day of the week can. Kerry's primal counter rhythms compliment Jesse's ripping 'Hendrix-meets-Django-meets-Setzer' guitar style in a unique fashion that will leave the spectator mentally exhausted."

To date they have accomplished a slew of amazing feats for an unsigned band, from amazing crowds all over the U.S. and Canada (and soon Australia, and New Zealand), with their strange but hip-shaking live show, where more than once the audience testimonial of swearing they heard more than one guitar was spoken, to being featured on multiple network television appearances and headlining high-profile stages and festivals on numerous occasions all over the world.

http://www.buzzdeluxe.com
http://www.myspace.com/buzzdeluxe

So be there! .. $10.00! ..

Ps. I am not quite sure if Bad Bride are actually playing as the drummer is away in Cambodia currently

Reply #36 Posted: December 03, 2009, 10:21:49 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Behemoth are coming back again!!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=197470986548&ref=mf

Arizona's heavy music powerhouse Job for a Cowboy hit New Zealand next April on a co-headliner with Polish death squad Behemoth and for the first time on these shores New Orleans black metal band Goatwhore round out a night of sinister, fist-clenching, speaker-searing madness!

JOB FOR A COWBOY
BEHEMOTH & GOATWHORE

Saturday 10th April
Transmission Room, Auckland
All Ages

Reply #37 Posted: December 04, 2009, 11:45:27 am

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Quote from: ThaFleastyler;1029677
The Prodigy – “Invaders Must Die”

Just got this in a press release from Shock Records:
SWEET!

:rnr:

Reply #38 Posted: December 04, 2009, 01:43:42 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Ultrarandom

• Just settled in
  • Ultrarandom has no influence.
Chimaira
With support from Dawn of Azazel, Tainted and Just One Fix

The Studio, Auckland
20 January 2010

http://www.eventfinder.co.nz/2010/jan/auckland-central/chimaira

Reply #39 Posted: January 09, 2010, 08:51:56 pm

Offline Advent

• Just settled in
  • Advent has no influence.
Blessthefall, Story of the year, and Saosin!
They are playing on the 9th of June, at Ellen Melville Hall in Auckland.
Info about the bands and gig here.
http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/show/SID/12819/N/Saosin-and-Bless-The-Fall-.utr
Buy Tickets here. (I think they are around $50).
http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/tickets/ID/1027/Saosin-and-Bless-The-Fall-.utr

\M/

Reply #40 Posted: May 12, 2010, 07:56:23 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Birds of Tokyo are coming. The earlybirds are opening for them i think. Tickets are $15 i think. But 2 for 1 2mrw.
http://www.ticketmaster.co.nz/event/2400448F96C619AA?artistid=1353726&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

Pretty good band. Its the same guy from karivool, just more mellow music.

Reply #41 Posted: May 12, 2010, 08:15:29 pm

Offline Venomoose

• Devoted Member
  • Venomoose has no influence.
Quote from: toofast;1264176
Birds of Tokyo are coming. The earlybirds are opening for them i think. Tickets are $15 i think. But 2 for 1 2mrw.
http://www.ticketmaster.co.nz/event/2400448F96C619AA?artistid=1353726&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

I would go if it wasn't R18. Karnivool played an R18 gig last year as well :(

Reply #42 Posted: May 12, 2010, 08:53:33 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Venomoose;1264190
Quote from: toofast;1264176

I would go if it wasn't R18. Karnivool played an R18 gig last year as well :(

Yea i missed that one, because of work. My mates went and said it was pretty good, albeit a small crowd. Though they aren't too big in nz i suppose. My friend is also in earlybirds, so double the reason for me to go to this.

Reply #43 Posted: May 12, 2010, 09:04:19 pm

Offline Chilli

• Addicted

The wine will be chilled, the acts will be hot and the surrounds picture perfect. The More FM Summer Vineyard Tour is back for 2013, heading to a vineyard near you this coming February.

One of New Zealand's best loved acts, OPSHOP, are set to headline the countryside convoy, alongside Aria Award winning Australian Artist Missy Higgins. Iconic Kiwi artists Che-Fu and Aaradhna will join them on the road, performing a highly anticipated Soul set together, as well as their classic solo hits.

Kicking off the tour in Tauranga in mid-February, the More FM Summer Vineyard Tour will also be heading to the Hawkes Bay, Martinborough, Nelson, Christchurch and Auckland.

Shaping up to be another stellar year of fine food, wine and music, the More FM Summer Vineyard Tour is coming to a town near you in 2013.

Tickets here, scroll dwn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

]

Reply #44 Posted: January 16, 2013, 01:31:37 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline winter

• Addicted
^ is it to celebrate that dickheads ark to survive 2012.. oh wait, it's 2013?

Reply #45 Posted: January 18, 2013, 08:34:21 am

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
yeah prolly, get totally trollied and listen to av' music :S

Reply #46 Posted: January 18, 2013, 10:07:41 am
♣ Free Tampons ♣

Offline Chilli

• Addicted
Will be good to catch.

UPDATE: Tickets to the Saturday 20 April show sold out within minutes. A second show has been confirmed for MONDAY 22 APRIL at Vector Arena, Auckland. Tickets on sale now through Ticketmaster.

It's been confirmed that Shihad will be opening for both of Black Sabbath's shows.

Featuring original band members - the Prince of Darkness himself: Ozzy Osbourne, bassist Geezer Butler and guitarist Tommy Iommi will make a thunderous return to Vector Arena, Auckland on Saturday 20 April 2013 - their first New Zealand concert since 1973.

This time round they'll have NZ rock heavyweights, Shihad, opening for both their shows. Shihad have been involved in the music industry for 25 years and have eight albums to their name. With such an epic combo, this is set to be one of the most legendary concerts New Zealand has ever seen.

Hailing from Birmingham, England, Black Sabbath are behind some of the greatest rock anthems of all time, such as War Pigs, Iron Man and Paranoid. The band has sold in excess of 70 million records worldwide, and more than 40 years on, the legendary band is still drawing rave reviews:

"Greatest Metal Band of All Time" – MTV

"Amongst the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time" – Rolling Stone

"Iron Man…One of the Greatest Metal Songs of All Time" – VH-1

"Paranoid is the birthplace of heavy metal" – Time Magazine

Saturday 20 April   -   SOLD OUT
Monday 22 April   -   NEW SHOW - tickets on sale now

Reply #47 Posted: January 21, 2013, 09:22:38 pm
♣ Free Tampons ♣