Topic: gaming underdogs

Offline Vonn Braun

• Devoted Member
  • Vonn Braun has no influence.
After hearing the recent news on how "Darwina" developer might go under due to lack of game sales I thought to myself that the gaming industry is becoming a sad place. Games like COD2 and BF2 reign supreme with generic "already been done" things while the truly innovative games get trampled. Games like System Shock 2, Theif 3, Scrapland,NOLF all get overlooked, no matter how good the reviewers tell people the game is, the public is like a game publisher always going for the safe-bet in a genre they have played millions of times before.

I think game of the year for me would have been Vietcong 2. Overlooked by many for not having fancy graphics and the lure of COD2.

Posted: December 19, 2005, 10:39:04 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
  • bloodyYOKEL-NZ has no influence.
Remember those Gigapets that everyone all wanted and adored back in the 1990's?

They were pulled of the market after peoples pets kept dying in a matter of weeks, after such a bad demostration of quality who would have thought they would return?

They are back again today, exactly the same but under a new name. This time i wasnt attracted by them like i was before, in fact i noticed how lame they were.

However they still selled in the rocket load just like they did before, kids who have never seen them treated them like something new and fascinating.

The toy makers didnt quit on a profitable idea, neither do game designers. Games like BF2 and COD2 may be old ideas, but not to new gamers. And they will have the same affect on new gamers just as they did to you when the FPS genre first came out.

Perhaps its not the games, your simply growing up.

Reply #1 Posted: December 20, 2005, 03:08:19 pm

There is certanly more to life, most people dont appreciate what that is.

Offline Warhog

• Just settled in
  • Warhog has no influence.
Game developers arn't going to make a different style of game if no-one buys it.  BF2 etc... is standard FPS but the game is FPS! It's the safe bet.  Alot of people do not like the different type of games.

Reply #2 Posted: January 03, 2006, 03:21:01 pm
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." - Mark Twain

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Darwinia = Crappy Looking

Call of Duty 2  = Sexy

Reply #3 Posted: January 03, 2006, 03:26:08 pm

Offline tommosimmo

• Just settled in
  • tommosimmo has no influence.
I also remember the days when games belonged to a group called *shareware*.... games were spread freely thorugh the then arcane network called the internet. These days, i walk down to my local Dick Smith store and buy a game worth 90 bux. The developers of games back then use to be any one who was smart and had an imagination. These days, anyone who has a huge wad of cash can make a game. No developer lets there imagination run free anymore. I think this is y HL2 has such a big push behind it. Its a freely modable game. Eveery single part of the source engine is open to imagination.
I think Darwinia has changed the way that people look at games for the rest of our lives. Do we develop another linear fps title? Or stretch the brains of the future generation? ITS UP TO YOU!

Reply #4 Posted: January 03, 2006, 03:29:02 pm

Martin Luther King, 1963. *I HAVE A DREAM!*
George W Bush, 2001 to present. *I DROP BOMBS!*
What next?

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
Darwinia was crappy looking by intention, its setting is a living civilisation in a virtual world. The makers of the game made it so it actualy looks virtual.

Its one guys emagination of what the world would look like if it was a giant supercomputer.

But if its sexy looking graphics that is the reason why darwinia has poor sales, then we really are as stupid as those fat-cat moneybag "game developers" think we are.

Reply #5 Posted: January 03, 2006, 05:35:11 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: tommosimmo
I also remember the days when games belonged to a group called *shareware*.... games were spread freely thorugh the then arcane network called the internet. These days, i walk down to my local Dick Smith store and buy a game worth 90 bux. The developers of games back then use to be any one who was smart and had an imagination. These days, anyone who has a huge wad of cash can make a game. No developer lets there imagination run free anymore. I think this is y HL2 has such a big push behind it. Its a freely modable game. Eveery single part of the source engine is open to imagination.
I think Darwinia has changed the way that people look at games for the rest of our lives. Do we develop another linear fps title? Or stretch the brains of the future generation? ITS UP TO YOU!

personally i like the type of games we have. all these news game look and play liek crap.

Reply #6 Posted: January 03, 2006, 05:39:20 pm

Offline tommosimmo

• Just settled in
Quote from: bloodyYOKEL-NZ
Darwinia was crappy looking by intention, its setting is a living civilisation in a virtual world. The makers of the game made it so it actualy looks virtual.

Its one guys emagination of what the world would look like if it was a giant supercomputer.

But if its sexy looking graphics that is the reason why darwinia has poor sales, then we really are as stupid as those fat-cat moneybag "game developers" think we are.

Exactly what i was saying.

Fat cats rule over ours and story writers imaginations. It should be the other way around.

Reply #7 Posted: January 03, 2006, 05:41:25 pm

What next?

Offline tommosimmo

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r
personally i like the type of games we have. all these news game look and play liek crap.

Yes, i also like the games we play today. But what will our future generation be playing?  BattleField 20: Galaxy Combat? Hl10: the lost solarsystem?

If we play the same stuff all the time, its not good for us. Children wont be able to think or do things for them selves, because they rely on games to do i for them. There will be a massive job loss, and transportation, economics, medical and other important skills will go down the drain because *No one could be bothered*

Reply #8 Posted: January 03, 2006, 05:47:04 pm

What next?

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
Looks like they rule over Killer as well.

It takes emagination to appreciate emagination.

:edit: if FPS is overused it will eventually bore, then the old RTS, RPG and simulations (once forgotten) will look new and fascinating. They wont die out for as long as gaming veterans will remember them.

Reply #9 Posted: January 03, 2006, 05:47:40 pm

Offline tommosimmo

• Just settled in
Quote from: bloodyYOKEL-NZ
:edit: if FPS is overused it will eventually bore, then the old RTS, RPG and simulations (once forgotten) will look new and fascinating. They wont die out for as long as gaming veterans will remember them.

Exactly, Take WoW for example.
Its a game thats purely devoted to the players imagination and never comes to an ending point. The players temselves even have the choice of what happens in the game as it progresses. In games such as BF2, we are shown whats right from wrong. Its pretty muched shoved in our faces. WoW leaes the rules open for experimentation. We can even find chances where the rules bend for just enough time to keep us motivated. If only we didnt have to pay $40 Australian every two months.

Reply #10 Posted: January 03, 2006, 05:58:24 pm

What next?

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: tommosimmo
Exactly, Take WoW for example.
Its a game thats purely devoted to the players imagination and never comes to an ending point. The players temselves even have the choice of what happens in the game as it progresses. In games such as BF2, we are shown whats right from wrong. Its pretty muched shoved in our faces. WoW leaes the rules open for experimentation. We can even find chances where the rules bend for just enough time to keep us motivated. If only we didnt have to pay $40 Australian every two months.

do you even play bf2?

Reply #11 Posted: January 03, 2006, 06:28:05 pm

Offline tommosimmo

• Just settled in
of curse i do.

Reply #12 Posted: January 03, 2006, 06:37:34 pm

What next?

Offline KiLL3r

and your gamename would be...

Reply #13 Posted: January 03, 2006, 06:43:21 pm

Offline tommosimmo

• Just settled in
Quote from: KiLL3r
and your gamename would be...

tommosimmo

Reply #14 Posted: January 03, 2006, 06:55:33 pm

What next?

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
  • Foxman has no influence.
Darwinia is a great game. It may look 'crap' but personally I think it plays a damnsight better than COD2. Its a unique concept for a start...not like 'lets take a best selling game, give it new graphics and then shuffle the campaigns around a bit...ooooo! Its 100% new'. Yeah right.

Sure it was fun and all but man...talk about the same shit over and over. I actually got bored and I haven't bothered to finish it.

Reply #15 Posted: January 07, 2006, 11:21:12 pm

Offline elemunk

• Devoted Member
  • elemunk has no influence.
Quote from: Vonn Braun
Games like System Shock 2, Theif 3, Scrapland,NOLF all get overlooked

I think game of the year for me would have been Vietcong 2. Overlooked by many for not having fancy graphics and the lure of COD2.

Thief 3 was absloute arse, Repeditave crap.

Vietcong 2 is a real flop too, If you were a fan of the original this game would make you want to rip your testies off, Go read pretty much any review from a gaming company/community and they will say the same, it's not just based on the graphics, (although they did use the same engine, 2 years later....)
there are huge gameplay flaws aswell.

Little games that are released from small companies/one man bands 90% of the time flop, purley beacuse they don't have the funds for advertising and development, It's like saying socitey shouldn't be all into skinny as fuck blonde girls ect ect. but thats just not how it works, The big fish always wins.

Reply #16 Posted: January 08, 2006, 12:12:52 am
sila.

Offline Darklord

• I Posted!
  • Darklord has no influence.
Quote from: elemunk
Thief 3 was absloute arse, Repeditave crap.

Vietcong 2 is a real flop too, If you were a fan of the original this game would make you want to rip your testies off, Go read pretty much any review from a gaming company/community and they will say the same, it's not just based on the graphics, (although they did use the same engine, 2 years later....)
there are huge gameplay flaws aswell.

Little games that are released from small companies/one man bands 90% of the time flop, purley beacuse they don't have the funds for advertising and development, It's like saying socitey shouldn't be all into skinny as fuck blonde girls ect ect. but thats just not how it works, The big fish always wins.

all those games vonn said are budget games made for crappy computers

Reply #17 Posted: January 08, 2006, 12:39:59 am

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
Quote from: Darklord
all those games vonn said are budget games made for crappy computers

Dear god are you retarded?!

System Shock 2, NOLF and Scrapland are not 'budget games made for crappy computers'.

Have you ever played them? Do you even know when they were made? Do you have any idea what you are talking about at all?

If you did know what you were talking about then you would be well aware that SS2 and NOLF are 2 of the most highly regarded games in PC history. By both gamers and critics alike.

Scrapland is more recent and not as highly regarded but it is by no means a 'budget game made for crappy computers'. Honestly, the idiocy of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Reply #18 Posted: January 08, 2006, 11:06:10 am

Offline Darklord

• I Posted!
  • Darklord has no influence.
someone needs to take a chill pill. just cus someone says sumthing you dont agree with DUSNT MEAN THE WORLD IS GOING TO END

Reply #19 Posted: January 08, 2006, 11:25:43 am

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
Its not that I don't agree with you its that you are so blatantly wrong.

Reply #20 Posted: January 08, 2006, 12:30:22 pm

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Foxman
Dear god are you retarded?!

was that really needed

Reply #21 Posted: January 08, 2006, 02:08:41 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
  • Verrt has no influence.
The tone of these forums has certainly dropped over time

This thread has made me realise that maybe its not just the developers not taking a chance
You can't blaming a company for releasing stuff they know will sell
I think the gamers are to scared to take a chance as well
when you walk into a store and you see two games next each other
One it BattleField7 and the other is a new game that you havn't heard much about but it looks like it could be really cool, or totaly crap
Do you get BF7 which you know is gonna be shit, full of bugs and only haf finnished
but you know exactly what you're getting and it won't drop below a certain standard
Or do you go for the lesser known game on the chance that it could be really really good
it could also be a big disapointment but there's still a chance

It's this McGaming attitude of gamers thats killing games, not the companys

If people want new inovative games with great ideas
they will make them
If people want a bigmac meal for $5.95
they'll make that

Reply #22 Posted: January 08, 2006, 02:44:44 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
well said verrt. Like i said in the first post: game developers dont quit on a profitable idea

I have come to realise that the quality of games is determined by just another personality attribute.

While i was reading the steam forums i have come across alot of trolls who complain about games and cannot appreciate a single good point of anything. But as i compared troll by troll i found that none of them like the same thing, one would say HL2 is the only satasfying game and for good reason. At the same time he will call Far cry crap and cheap and for good reason.

Another will say HL2 was crap and cheap for good reason. while thinking Far Cry had perfect detail for good reason. Not one troll could come to agreement.

This clearly cannot be the fault of the games themselves, its all how people interpret them.

Further evidence comes from the "best games" thread, according to that all games are the best game. This means there is no real "best" game, neither can there be bad games.

Some of you will say Gameplay > Graphics

Some of you will say Physics > Detail

None of us will totaly agree on which is which, it all depends on your induvidual gaming taste.

Reply #23 Posted: January 08, 2006, 09:46:50 pm

Offline xtp

• Just settled in
  • xtp has no influence.
if only i could get redneck rampage to run on windows xp

Reply #24 Posted: January 09, 2006, 08:50:51 am
"We need to get bigger guns. BIG F***** GUNS!" - Dick Durkin