Topic: PC Build - Recommended Systems Thread - February 2012

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Anything good coming up soon, or is the i5-6600k + Z170 still the best way to go? Is pairing it with a GTX1070 overkill, if I just want good future proof, and the ability to run triple screen.

EDIT: and the possible chance of using a VR system on it.
Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:04:45 pm by toofast

Reply #250 Posted: July 18, 2016, 07:00:57 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
If you want "the best" gaming options:
- 6600K (or 6700K, but there is no discernible difference in gaming performance)
- Z170
- DDR4 > 3000Mhz
- GTX1070

You can gain about an extra 5-10% by opting for 3200+ DDR4 as opposed to it's 2400 counter part. I came across a (I think Toms hardware) where they did a bench on memory.

Something like the following would have you away laughing.

ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger Intel Z170, DDR4, ATX, LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel Skylake Core i5-6600K 3.50Ghz, 6MB, LGA1151, Unlocked Processor, No Fans       
Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

~$1100
+$900 GTX 1070
+ $200-300 for an M.2 SDD

Should have zero issues running VR on that.
Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:45:13 am by Xenolightning

Reply #251 Posted: July 19, 2016, 09:43:40 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline toofast

• Addicted
So what is the logical step down from the GTX1070? If i was looking to spend 400 odd, am i better looking at a slightly older model with a chance of discounting, or is there something reasonable within the newer models.

Reply #252 Posted: July 20, 2016, 05:38:18 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
The GTX1060 is wayyyy too overpriced in the current market, sitting at about $700.

The closest to $400 RRP is the RX480, at $500. I'm hesitant to recommend them after their launch issues. But I think an AMD driver "patched"  the power issues.

For VR, you wouldn't want anything less than a GTX970, or a R9 390X.

Rough equivalence:
- GTX980 ~= GTX1060
- R9 390X ~= RX480
- GTX980Ti ~= GTX1070
- GTX970 ~= R9 390X

You can pick up a second hand GTX970 for about $350, which is probably your best option.
Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:15:26 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #253 Posted: July 20, 2016, 08:13:42 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Well I am buying from the UK, so price seem to be a bit better on the GFX cards. Seems like a 970 or a r9 390 is about 200pounds. Just not sure which one to go for, since on paper the 390 wins with more memory and bigger bus, but nvidia have always seemed to have an edge on the software side of things.

I ended up with: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DJr4qk

Not entirely sure about the cooler, was reccommended on the site, but I am sure there may be a better one to get. Cool Master Hyper 212 seems to be reasonably cheap (30 pounds), but i am sure there will be a downside. Is arctic mx-2 still the best way to go for paste as well?

Reply #254 Posted: July 21, 2016, 02:17:14 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
The 212's are just insanely good value for money, I have one and love it.

Reply #255 Posted: July 21, 2016, 12:27:36 pm

Offline Xenolightning

Get the R9 390 over a GTX970. It's better in almost every scenario. There's no issues with the R9 3xx series, so jump on one if you can find it.

The Hyper 212X, the included thermal is really good anyway, so no need to buy MX-2. If you did want to get custom TP, then MX-2 is still the best shit around, followed closely by AS5.

What you've put together is good.

Maybe look at getting an M.2 SSD over a SATA SSD, they are faster on all accounts. But a little more expensive, and not as portable. The Samsung Pro are up to twice as fast.

But great build, and very similar to what I'd buy right now. If not what I will buy in the next week. I think my PC is dying :<
Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:27:13 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #256 Posted: July 21, 2016, 01:23:34 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
My PC has been giving me troubles past few weeks, going to have to start saving up, want to be playing games not fiddling with my computer. Hesitant to build it myself as I'ts been quite a while. Don't be surprised if you see me asking questions here in a couple months. Thanks for the info guys.

Reply #257 Posted: July 21, 2016, 07:30:21 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Thanks for all the help so far Xeno. Looking at M.2 just opens another can of worms in should i go for the 850 evo or the 950 pro. i can get a 256gb pro for 140 vs a 512gb evo for 130. So it seems like a toss up between more storage (i was doing fine on 128gb on my old PC) and what seems like a significant speed upgrade (will i see real world advantages).

Other thing I stil cannot decide on is whether I should go for a mechanical keyboard, and if so which one. I had a Microsoft sidewinder X4 previously, but it got discontinued for some reason. The Razer Deathstalker Expert seems to be the closest I can find, but it makes me wonder if I should just shell out more for a mechanical keyboard.

EDIT: and at what price difference is it no longer worth going for the r9 390 over the gtx970. currently looks like i will be forced to shell out an extra 50 pounds for the r9 390, due to stock available.
Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:19:17 am by toofast

Reply #258 Posted: July 22, 2016, 08:46:23 am

Offline Xenolightning

It depends on what you do with the drive. The Pro is significantly faster, even in the "real world". But if you're not doing large sustained transfers then the benefit slowly starts to diminish. Random Access performance is close between the two, and that's probably what it will be doing most of the time.

If your plan is to only run those two drives, I'd opt for the larger storage of the Evo.

50?! That's too much, I'd pay an extra $50-60nz, so like 25-30 quid.

I don't tend to "recommend" peripherals because of the personal nature. You can't be entirely objective.

I've had a CM with Cherry MX Black's, and I currently have a Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth. The new Razer switches... are interesting... They are very "springy", I've got used to it but probably wouldn't buy another after using Cherry MX's.

Again, very personal decision, and it probably doesn't matter so much what route you choose.

Reply #259 Posted: July 22, 2016, 10:19:01 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline toofast

• Addicted
So what is the recommended fan setup for computers now. Last PC I had I was running 1 120 exhaust against 3 120 inlet. New case has 1 200 inlet and a 140 exhaust. Thinking of picking up 2 140s for the top of the case. But not sure if I want them both to be blowing in (I was of the belief you want positive pressure), since 1 in/out is still positive due to the sizing.

Reply #260 Posted: August 01, 2016, 09:03:07 am

Offline Xenolightning

That's a tough one. I've always been under the impression that positive air pressure is the way to go.

This is probably only the case with old blower style graphics cards, if you don't have a blower style cooler then the direction of the airflow is more important. Make it coherent and flow across components.

If it's hugely important, the best way is probably trial and error.

Reply #261 Posted: August 01, 2016, 09:47:27 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
So what is the recommended fan setup for computers now. Last PC I had I was running 1 120 exhaust against 3 120 inlet. New case has 1 200 inlet and a 140 exhaust. Thinking of picking up 2 140s for the top of the case. But not sure if I want them both to be blowing in (I was of the belief you want positive pressure), since 1 in/out is still positive due to the sizing.

I have this http://www.phanteks.com/enthoo-evolv.html so basically same case as you just in M-Atx. I run stock fan configuration with a corsair H110i cooler exhausting out the top.

So I would advise getting 2 x 140's exhaust out the roof aswell

Reply #262 Posted: August 01, 2016, 03:55:52 pm