HcN.skytech dropped
HcN.skytech has left the game

Offline ry167

• I Posted!
  • ry167 has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1306584
Pointless?
You really do have an extra chromosome.

This is exactly a piracy discussion. He's not asking what software he could buy to burn documents to a disc. He's asking what applications you use to steal a movie from a DVD, convert it and dump it on a consumer writable disc.

And the other thread you replied to was about copying PS2 games... which last time I checked, was illegal too.

To which you specifically felt the burning need to create a brand new account for, just to answer a thread that was already growing old and forgotten with some mundane captain obvious shit.

Congrats. You've just broken 3 rules of forum ettiquite with a single post, and your FIRST post too! That's gotta be some kind of record for being a dickhead.

Upon being asked to stop, instead of saying sorry and just not doing it again you spit out some snarky retard remark and try to dodge the blame, typical of immature youth. Which you can't even manage to do in plain English. Score another point for NCEA.

USE A BIT OF COMMON SENSE
I know it might be hard, but at least try.

it is not illegal to have backups of your own games/movies. he did not state what he was using the software for so how can you know that he is going to use it for that?

I did not make this account just to answer this one thread, i hoped to find this place a decent community, but i believe you have ruined that experience, the rest off this place looks bloody awesome, but you have ruined that for me. Thanks allot.

And as to dodging the blame, you didnt have to make that first post. it was simply flaming imo. So asta la vista, coz i cbf with this. Thanks to another asshole wrecking a decent forum

Reply #26 Posted: September 06, 2010, 05:57:46 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: ry167;1306880

it is not illegal to have backups of your own games/movies. he did not state what he was using the software for so how can you know that he is going to use it for that?

Yeah, actually it is illegal.

Reply #27 Posted: September 06, 2010, 07:47:37 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

I did not make this account just to answer this one thread, i hoped to find this place a decent community, but i believe you have ruined that experience, the rest off this place looks bloody awesome, but you have ruined that for me. Thanks allot.

Na bro, Pryo makes this community awesome.

Reply #28 Posted: September 06, 2010, 07:49:48 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1306584
Pointless?
You really do have an extra chromosome.

This is exactly a piracy discussion. He's not asking what software he could buy to burn documents to a disc. He's asking what applications you use to steal a movie from a DVD, convert it and dump it on a consumer writable disc.

And the other thread you replied to was about copying PS2 games... which last time I checked, was illegal too.

To which you specifically felt the burning need to create a brand new account for, just to answer a thread that was already growing old and forgotten with some mundane captain obvious shit.

Congrats. You've just broken 3 rules of forum ettiquite with a single post, and your FIRST post too! That's gotta be some kind of record for being a dickhead.

Upon being asked to stop, instead of saying sorry and just not doing it again you spit out some snarky retard remark and try to dodge the blame, typical of immature youth. Which you can't even manage to do in plain English. Score another point for NCEA.

USE A BIT OF COMMON SENSE
I know it might be hard, but at least try.

And as to dodging the blame, you didnt have to make that first post. it was simply flaming imo. So asta la vista, coz i cbf with this. Thanks to another asshole wrecking a decent forum

What country are you in because New Zealand has a distinct lack of "Fair Use" rights.

Reply #29 Posted: September 06, 2010, 08:20:39 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

There is only one reason someone wants to make 'offsite backups'. Or onsite backups for that matter. Everyone knows this, inluding the NZ government. What you spray out in your first sentence is internet moron propelled myth, rumour and rubbish. There is only a single reason someone asks what software can copy a movie DVD.

A new genuine new member would make their first post in a thread about the game of his or her choice. If you really had genuine interest in this place past helping pirates do their thing publically (thus increasing the overlord eye's train on us all) you'd probably just avoid me and stick to the forum of whatever game it was that drew you into this GAMING COMMUNITY in the first place.

I simply posted asking you to refrain from talking about piracy in public. And a wee reminder not to break forum etiquitte by digging up old threads. In reply, you question my judgement impling stupidity and dodge the blame by doing so. DO NOT BLAME ME FOR YOUR MISTAKES. A simple "sorry, I was not aware that a month was old in this community" (if anything) would have sufficed.

I am also not the one ruining this entire forum. You have posted in a small subsection of it, and fucked up in making said post. This section is one of only a few places I actually read threads. But I can gaurantee you that should you keep up the same attitude elsewhere, you'll be met with the same response. BECAUSE NO ONE LIKES A DICKHEAD.

As a gaming community, we especially don't like being clamped down upon by the corporates revoking the right for us to host servers for their games because of members discussing how to pirate their merchandise. Therefore, as a community, we already don't like you.

I'll say it again so maybe it'll get through:
Most first posts are in a forum regarding the new members game of choice.
Your first post was in a thread about piracy. What does that say about you?

TL;DR?

Your logic is flawed.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Reply #30 Posted: September 06, 2010, 09:02:59 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1306954
There is only one reason someone wants to make 'offsite backups'. Or onsite backups for that matter. Everyone knows this, inluding the NZ government. What you spray out in your first sentence is internet moron propelled myth, rumour and rubbish. There is only a single reason someone asks what software can copy a movie DVD.

Rubbish. I have DVDs of tv shows and movies, which are all ripped to my computer. Its just a lot easier to find a file in a computer, then constantly insert discs. Not to mention if you have collector edition dvds, you would try keep them in nice condition. I do the same thing with music as well. Not to mention most tvs are easy to set up to stream, so its easier to access stuff if its just all backed up to one location.

The only people who still believe backups are for piracy only, are the movie industry who still seems to be stuck in the past, and don't realise digital media is what people want.

Reply #31 Posted: September 06, 2010, 09:21:22 pm

Offline Deages

• Devoted Member
  • Deages has no influence.
Quote from: toofast;1306964

Rubbish. I have DVDs of tv shows and movies, which are all ripped to my computer. Its just a lot easier to find a file in a computer, then constantly insert discs. Not to mention if you have collector edition dvds, you would try keep them in nice condition. I do the same thing with music as well. Not to mention most tvs are easy to set up to stream, so its easier to access stuff if its just all backed up to one location.

The only people who still believe backups are for piracy only, are the movie industry who still seems to be stuck in the past, and don't realise digital media is what people want.
+1
You can recover (in most cases) a file lost on a harddrive bar some extreme physical damage. In the event of a corrupt harddrive/OS install/format, you can recover data.
In the event of a broken disc, you're boned.
I and many others I know backup our files onto drives, some of us spanning various terabytes of storage.

While I can understand (and have forcibly studied) piracy and the implications of it, you shouldn't have a preconceived idea that everyone who wants to do something is doing it for illegal purposes.

Ever lost an install disc? Had someone or yourself break a CD/DVD? Too many scratches in it? I have, in just about all cases. Digital media, backups and storage is a god send.

Reply #32 Posted: September 06, 2010, 09:30:45 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

I don't care how legitimate your reasons, fact is that it's still breaking copyright.

Reply #33 Posted: September 06, 2010, 09:32:40 pm

Offline xpertz

• Addicted
  • xpertz has no influence.

Reply #34 Posted: September 06, 2010, 10:11:42 pm
<on3.co.nz | CS 1.6 TOURNAMENT #1>EAC
[EAC] HcN.skytech :: This server requires the use of 32bit colour
HcN.skytech dropped

Offline Deages

• Devoted Member
  • Deages has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1306972

I don't care how legitimate your reasons, fact is that it's still breaking copyright.
For movies I'm unsure of it's *current* legality, but for games if it's permitted in the EULA you are allowed to back them up.

Reply #35 Posted: September 06, 2010, 10:47:26 pm

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Prophet;1307006
For movies I'm unsure of it's *current* legality, but for games if it's permitted in the EULA you are allowed to back them up.

The overwhelming majority of EULAs do not permit copies to be made from the source media, assuming that the majority of EULAs can be enforced. Any speculation on this would require you to read EULAs. I suspect reading EULAs violate the terms of these EULAs, failing that you would lose the will to live very quickly and thusly the publisher would have no liability in regards to your inevitable EULA induced suicide.

For movies you are generously permitted to keep a single recording for up to a week (irrc) after it was broadcast. wait, what?

Reply #36 Posted: September 06, 2010, 11:33:24 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline xpertz

• Addicted
  • xpertz has no influence.
^ haha WTF!? Sounds like terms back in the VCR days.

Reply #37 Posted: September 07, 2010, 09:07:52 am
<on3.co.nz | CS 1.6 TOURNAMENT #1>EAC
[EAC] HcN.skytech :: This server requires the use of 32bit colour
HcN.skytech dropped

Quote from: xpertz##;1307139

Yes it is, it's for TV broadcasts, i.e you're allowed to record them and watch them later.

What so WTF about that?

Reply #38 Posted: September 07, 2010, 09:40:20 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1307153
Quote from: xpertz##;1307139

Yes it is, it's for TV broadcasts, i.e you're allowed to record them and watch them later.

What so WTF about that?

I believe the WTF is for the fact the law is so outdated.

Reply #39 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:07:24 am

Offline Pyromanik

No. People still record and watch later. What do you think a 'mysky' does?

Reply #40 Posted: September 07, 2010, 10:43:12 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1307166

Mysky lets you keep stuff for as long as you want? If that law had any sort of effect, they would of put some sort of max storage time on mysky.

Reply #41 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:20:11 am

Quote from: toofast;1307192
Quote from: Pyromanik;1307166

Mysky lets you keep stuff for as long as you want? If that law had any sort of effect, they would of put some sort of max storage time on mysky.

Cars let you drive as fast as you want? If the law against speeding had any effect, they would make cars instantly explode when you went over 100.

Reply #42 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:26:21 am

Offline Pyromanik

No, it does the modern equivalent of a VCR, is what.

Reply #43 Posted: September 07, 2010, 11:57:24 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
What I am saying, is if there was any intent of enforcing this law, just like the implementation of stuff like DRM, then would of pressured sky to put something similar in.

Reply #44 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:04:53 pm

Offline Pyromanik

I like spacemonkey's car analogy.

You think they'd put pressure on car manufacturers to stop making powerful cars.

Reply #45 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:09:16 pm

Quote from: toofast;1307225
What I am saying, is if there was any intent of enforcing this law, just like the implementation of stuff like DRM, then would of pressured sky to put something similar in.

Thats not how it works, manufactures don't want to put restrictions in that would give them a disadvantage.

If sky put a restriction in their device that time limits a recording, people would instead buy other hard drive recorders that don't have restrictions.

It's the same reason why car companies don't put speed restrictions in the cars they make, otherwise no one would buy them.

Any way, the law states that you are allowed to record a broadcast for "time-sharing" purposes so that you can watch it later in a reasonable time frame. But I don't think it states anywhere what a 'reasonable' time frame is. Hence a time restriction on a device wouldn't make any sense.

Reply #46 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:16:25 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1307231
I like spacemonkey's car analogy.

You think they'd put pressure on car manufacturers to stop making powerful cars.

Yea but there are countries which have no open road speed limits.

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1307238
Thats not how it works, manufactures don't want to put restrictions in that would give them a disadvantage.

If sky put a restriction in their device that time limits a recording, people would instead buy other hard drive recorders that don't have restrictions.

It's the same reason why car companies don't put speed restrictions in the cars they make, otherwise no one would buy them.

Any way, the law states that you are allowed to record a broadcast for "time-sharing" purposes so that you can watch it later in a reasonable time frame. But I don't think it states anywhere what a 'reasonable' time frame is. Hence a time restriction on a device wouldn't make any sense.

Well if there is no timeframe specified, then obviously we are arguing about nothing.

Reply #47 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:18:18 pm

The whole internet is a big argument about nothing. :D

Reply #48 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:21:31 pm

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Page____7290.aspx

recording a television programme for the purpose of making a complaint or for "time shifting" purposes so that a programme can be watched at a more convenient time.
There is no general exception to copyright infringement for private of domestic copying, including "format shifting", of legitimately purchased recordings from one medium to another to allow playing or viewing via other devices.

Reply #49 Posted: September 07, 2010, 12:51:49 pm