Topic: Good programming language to learn?

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334562
If you have access to dreamspark, see if you can get a XNA Creators Club Academic Membership, then you can run your games on your xbox 360.

However, if you don't have an xbox, then it wouldn't be much use.
I thought you needed two licenses for xbox 360 development?

I know I have two: The Dreamspark one and some other one.

And I will probably never use them.

Reply #100 Posted: November 23, 2010, 08:39:04 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
The Academic one allows you to deploy your games to an xbox for testing.

The full paid membership allows the above, and also the ability to submit games to the xbox marketplace.

Reply #101 Posted: November 23, 2010, 09:05:12 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
My brother has an xbox... I might buy it off him if I learn C# :>

Reply #102 Posted: November 23, 2010, 01:34:43 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334552
I find string.format really useful

string someWords = string.format("Words and shit {0} {1}", x , y);

{0} and {1} are replace by x and y respectively. Where x/y can be a number or a string.

Now you tell me D:

Anyways, If anyone can help me with this one tiny bit
Code: [Select]
int x = x * 10 + 1;
It says i'm using an unassigned variable x (the x is the second one in)
Whats wrong with it? :<

Reply #103 Posted: November 23, 2010, 01:59:25 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Well how can x = x when x doesn't exist yet?
What is x * 10 when x is undefined?

does not compute :p

Reply #104 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:11:19 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1334679
Well how can x = x when x doesn't exist yet?
What is x * 10 when x is undefined?

Does not compute :p

Ahh. Silly kayne.

Yeah I spose I just ignored that, and just assumed X = 0

How come I can never set a variable across the whole script? I want it to set x to 0 on form Load, but it says "x is defined but never used"

Reply #105 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:13:13 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
int x = 0
x = x * 10 + 1

Reply #106 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:14:25 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Yeah I just did that lol, works :>

Once I get if statements worked out (I haven't even taken a stab yet, Hoping it all goes well), I should have a working calculator :>

edit : ffs, This is why I need global variables lol.

Everytime I click the button, it resets x to 0, then times by 10 (=0) then +1

Got it working, Its all to do with the squiggly brackets :D

Reply #107 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:19:28 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
haha the joys of starting to program, I remember doing shit like that using borland delphi

Reply #108 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:26:38 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
static is useful for global constants.

public class SampleClass
{
public static int Anumber = 0;
}

Then you can access that value elsewhere in code like so

SampleClass.Anumber

Reply #109 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:29:07 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
You call it joys... I call it a pain in the ass :P

It now does some random shit when it gets to the 1,000,000,000's, and eventually goes back to 0 lol

and cool, Cheers Spacemonkey, I was just doing saying there was a x variable in "public partial class Form1 : Form"
and changing the value in form_load(), to 0

Reply #110 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:30:54 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted

Reply #111 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:32:37 pm

Int is a 32 bit Integer, it has a maximum value of 2,147,483,647.

Use long instead, it's a 64 bit Integer, and has a max of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807.

Here's more info about different Interger types
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exx3b86w.aspx

If you want to do floating point calculations (12.7 + 29.45 etc), it would be best to use a double
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9ahet949.aspx

Reply #112 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:33:31 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Where is the like button for these forums, You guys are so helpful lol

Reply #113 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:35:46 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334702

If you want to do floating point calculations (12.7 + 29.45 etc), it would be best to use a double
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9ahet949.aspx

Unless you are doing games, we always use float since we generally don't need a number as big as a double and 32bit hardware handles floats faster and they take up less memory.
Double is generally reserved for hardcore mathematic equations.

I used double all through uni and on the first day in game dev they were like "wooah don't do that!"

Reply #114 Posted: November 23, 2010, 02:45:06 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
cough cough...first program in C#....cough...

I don't like the fact that it installs, I would of rather it just run off a exe, But I have no clue on how to fix that atm.
Also sorry about the name, I stamped the name calculator inside the program all over the place, but it still wants to be windows application form 2. sigh.

Make sure to remove it via add or remove programs after you've played around with your awesom-o calculator.

Reply #115 Posted: November 23, 2010, 05:48:05 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Now replace all of your instances of int with double and stuff like 1/100 won't equal 0 ;)

Good job tho.

Reply #116 Posted: November 23, 2010, 05:52:54 pm

Quote from: `Kayne;1334771

I don't like the fact that it installs, I would of rather it just run off a exe, But I have no clue on how to fix that atm.
Also sorry about the name, I stamped the name calculator inside the program all over the place, but it still wants to be windows application form 2. sigh.

Make sure to remove it via add or remove programs after you've played around with your awesom-o calculator.

You don't need to make it as a setup package.

Go into to bin/debug (or release), it will be there as an exe.

However the setup ensures the correct version of the net framework is installed.

Reply #117 Posted: November 23, 2010, 05:59:17 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1334778
Now replace all of your instances of int with double and stuff like 1/100 won't equal 0 ;)

Good job tho.

Facepalm lol

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334785

All I did was "release "Calculator"". I also can't find what your talking about, the files in the rar are all the files I could get out of it lol. No exe's :x

Reply #118 Posted: November 23, 2010, 06:12:58 pm

Quote from: `Kayne;1334788

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334785

All I did was "release "Calculator"". I also can't find what your talking about, the files in the rar are all the files I could get out of it lol. No exe's :x

The bin folder should my in your project folder along with your source code.

You project folder should be somewhere like 'Documents/Visual Studio 1020/Projects/'

After you click build in VS, the binary exe file should be in the Bin folder, in a sub folder called debug, or release, depending on which mode you choose to build it.

This is what one of my projects looks like.

Reply #119 Posted: November 23, 2010, 06:43:20 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: `Kayne;1334771

The trick with names is you need to name it correctly the first time you make the project. Once you make the name, it goes into the code (namespace calculator for example), and thats what it will be called. When you save it, it lets you pick another name, which is what the folder is named.

Also maybe you should upload your VS files, so then we can see your source code, see what improvements you can make. Plus then we can just compile/run within VS instead of using installers.

Reply #120 Posted: November 23, 2010, 07:03:41 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Cheers guys, understood, And yeah I found the exe of it :>

I'm trying not to be so "herp-derp", But what Visual Studio files are you wanting , in particular?

I'm guessing these

Reply #121 Posted: November 23, 2010, 07:21:07 pm

Yep, they are the ones.

I ran it, used it to calculate my taxes, I owe 0 dollars, good job :D

Reply #122 Posted: November 24, 2010, 08:55:05 am

Offline Spoonguard

• Addicted
  • Spoonguard has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1334976
Yep, they are the ones.

I ran it, used it to calculate my taxes, I owe 0 dollars, good job :D

I ran it, amused myself with the overflow errors

Reply #123 Posted: November 24, 2010, 02:58:22 pm
        and nothing of value was lost.

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Ok, so I'm going to give programming go. However, I don't know where the place for me to start is.

I'm interested in game modding, for other people or me. This will probably always be a hobby. What should I start learning and how?

Reply #124 Posted: November 24, 2010, 05:09:17 pm