Topic: The Tunnel

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
I'm sure i've seen it at the monkey enclosure.

Reply #25 Posted: November 18, 2011, 09:06:26 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Truck falls over and blocks tunnel.

Aucklanders panic like it's the end of the world.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10853089

Reply #26 Posted: December 10, 2012, 01:58:15 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
tbh I don't understand why trucks fall over so much on Auckland motoways. How can you fall over while going 2km/h?

Reply #27 Posted: December 10, 2012, 02:01:52 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1511224
tbh I don't understand why trucks fall over so much on Auckland motoways. How can you fall over while going 2km/h?

Watching too many re-runs of Tokyo Drift and forgetting you are in a 16 Wheel Truck.

Its easy to do, I have done it several time....

Reply #28 Posted: December 10, 2012, 02:10:44 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
That doesn't look like a tunnel. Looks like a road with big walls.

Is this the cheap new Zealand version of a tunnel?

Reply #29 Posted: December 10, 2012, 03:33:41 pm

Quote from: BerG;1511236
That doesn't look like a tunnel. Looks like a road with big walls.

Is this the cheap new Zealand version of a tunnel?

It's a tunnel with a skylight.

Reply #30 Posted: December 10, 2012, 03:42:58 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Below is an invention of mine, it's a 'drive like a Kiwi' simulator.

Spoiler :

Reply #31 Posted: December 10, 2012, 04:29:16 pm

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
  • Mr_St1nky has no influence.
Not sure how truck ended up facing the way it came...its about as long as all the lanes are wide.

Reply #32 Posted: December 10, 2012, 04:54:03 pm

Quote from: Mr_St1nky;1511250
Not sure how truck ended up facing the way it came...its about as long as all the lanes are wide.

Emrico already explained it.

Quote from: Emrico1;1511247
Below is an invention of mine, it's a 'drive like a Kiwi' simulator.

Spoiler :

Reply #33 Posted: December 10, 2012, 04:57:32 pm

Because Tunnels are all the rage. Auckland is getting more tunnel.

A tunnel under the Waitemata harbour so now us Aucklanders can get buy our morning latte faster.

$10 Billions dollars. Thanks to the rest of country for your kind donations.  

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/8853330/Second-Auckland-harbour-crossing-confirmed

Reply #34 Posted: June 28, 2013, 02:15:06 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Please for the love that all is unholy - put a fucking Rail link in the Tunnel.

But they won't, because NZers don't know how to invest in infrastructure

Reply #35 Posted: June 28, 2013, 03:34:39 pm

Quote from: The Demon Lord;1527858
Please for the love that all is unholy - put a fucking Rail link in the Tunnel.

But they won't, because NZers don't know how to invest in infrastructure

I read that the tunnel would most likely include rail.

Reply #36 Posted: June 28, 2013, 03:46:08 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1527861
I read that the tunnel would most likely include rail.

On the one hand I should be jumping up and down with fervant and raging optimism at the thought that NZ will finally do something properly instead of doing a Half-Assed job and saying 'She'll be right Mate'

I will even look passed the slightly suicidal idea of putting an underground, undersea tunnel in an area with more volcanoes than sense located in one of the more seismically active parts of the world.

But my inner cynic knows this is all a front and halfway through the planning stage, they will have stop doing it, because it will be too expensive, the N.I.M.B.Y's will all pipe up and have their say and generally go the way of just about every other attempt in NZ to build some decent infrastructure.

oh and no rail link out to the Airport at the same time you are doing these massive upgrades is also fucking retarded. Since every other major airport in the world (pretty much) has a rail link to it.

Hell in some cases they have a rail link IN the fucking airport just to get between terminals.

Reply #37 Posted: June 28, 2013, 04:09:01 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Those other countries also have a lot more people paying taxes to pay for the infrastructure.

AKL is a pretty unique case, with a very spread out population with water all over the show, which makes transport links difficult. Get more people and AKL can invest more in infrastructure, but needs more/better infrastructure to get more people. Go figure.

I am all for better transport links, and AKL is shit compared to many overseas countries, but you have to pay for it somehow. Best transport system I have used was the subway in Hong Kong, shit is fast, cheap and everywhere.

Reply #38 Posted: June 28, 2013, 05:13:51 pm

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1527863
On the one hand I should be jumping up and down with fervant and raging optimism at the thought that NZ will finally do something properly instead of doing a Half-Assed job and saying 'She'll be right Mate'

I will even look passed the slightly suicidal idea of putting an underground, undersea tunnel in an area with more volcanoes than sense located in one of the more seismically active parts of the world.

But my inner cynic knows this is all a front and halfway through the planning stage, they will have stop doing it, because it will be too expensive, the N.I.M.B.Y's will all pipe up and have their say and generally go the way of just about every other attempt in NZ to build some decent infrastructure.

oh and no rail link out to the Airport at the same time you are doing these massive upgrades is also fucking retarded. Since every other major airport in the world (pretty much) has a rail link to it.

Hell in some cases they have a rail link IN the fucking airport just to get between terminals.
go home then .

Reply #39 Posted: June 28, 2013, 06:20:17 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
The roof should be glass.

Reply #40 Posted: June 29, 2013, 12:56:07 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
I accidentally slept in this morning.

So I decided to be cool and go as fast as I could to work, This meant going through the cool tunnel.

Whilst going at the highest speeds that my 1994 laser could handle, I had to slow down (safely, may I add), as the car in the distance was going at legal speeds (80km)

The man who was keeping up with me, behind me, probably also late for work, decided to pull out into the left lane.

And then he got pulled over by a motorbike cop.

That was my experience with the tunnel.

Reply #41 Posted: June 29, 2013, 01:17:21 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Black Heart;1527878
The roof should be glass.

This was the original plan until lobbying by Kelly Tarlton.

Reply #42 Posted: June 29, 2013, 08:00:24 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Baldesto;1527867
go home then .

Even you have to admit - NZ in general does a very poor job of investing in infrastructure and does a half-assed job when they do....

Reply #43 Posted: June 29, 2013, 02:50:44 pm

Codex

Quote from: The Demon Lord;1527892
Even you have to admit - NZ in general does a very poor job of investing in infrastructure and does a half-assed job when they do....

I think this goes for 90% of things NZ does really. Boils down to the  "she'll be 'right" attitude. Also the general attitude that it's a "privilege" to be born here etc etc

And in case anyone cries and tells me to move away

I definitely plan to.

Reply #44 Posted: June 30, 2013, 10:57:32 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Codex;1527905
I think this goes for 90% of things NZ does really. Boils down to the  "she'll be 'right" attitude. Also the general attitude that it's a "privilege" to be born here etc etc

And in case anyone cries and tells me to move away

I definitely plan to.

There is a strong sense of truth to what you are saying..
Usually we go for the 'cheaper' option, then 6 months later come to a sad realisation that it isn't sufficient and are forced to spend six times more than the original 'decent' option to get something that is still not as good.
Happens everywhere in this country.

Reply #45 Posted: June 30, 2013, 12:18:35 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
yes .

Reply #46 Posted: June 30, 2013, 01:26:41 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1527909
Usually we go for the 'cheaper' option, then 6 months later come to a sad realisation that it isn't sufficient and are forced to spend six times more than the original 'decent' option to get something that is still not as good.

and That is why I get so annoyed - because if NZ simply did it properly in the first instance, we would save a lot of money and be able to enjoy the benefits of properly implemented infrastructure

Reply #47 Posted: June 30, 2013, 01:54:39 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
a la Novapay

Reply #48 Posted: June 30, 2013, 02:09:17 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
It's because the country is run by retarded accountants.
Same reason people buy great wall trucks instead of a hilux.

You can get 2.3 great walls for the price of a hilux.
But while the initial bottom line is less, the TCO is about 5x as high.

Happens in all industries all over the country. And most ESPECIALLY when it comes to government. Eddie the expert sticks his nose in and suddenly we're fucking out of pocket about 10mil.

Reply #49 Posted: July 02, 2013, 09:14:33 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.