Topic: Fishing

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
My boy has expressed an interest in fishing (and got a small rod for Xmas), and I'm about 15 years out of practice.  So I thought I would call on the collective wisdom of GetSome as I - slowly - get back into this relaxing hobby, and hopefully get him keen into it too.

So:

- We are in Auckland, and are starting with fishing off wharves and calm rock spots (eg inside the harbour) that don't take more than 45 minutes to get to from central Auckland.  Under the harbour bridge has been recommended, and we've been fishing at Point Chevalier. Does anyone have any thoughts on good spots? Is the waitamata or manakau better?

- Its been suggested to me that high tide is the best time, that 2 hours after high tide is the best time, and that 2 hours before high tide is the best time.  When is the best time to go fishing, if there is such a time?

- Whats a good bait for use in catching fish off a wharf?

- If I was buying myself a rod, whats a good budget for casual fishing? Are there any brands to avoid?

Any other tips and tricks much appreciated.

Posted: January 15, 2012, 10:34:41 am

Offline Randomized

• Addicted
  • Randomized has no influence.
The best time to go fishing is change of light, either first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening.  Coincide this with a high tide for best results.  Other than that just go out and get amongst it whenever you can

Look for places that have strong tidal flow as fish will often cruise this areas waiting for food.  Can't help more than that as I'm an avid surfcaster, not a rock / wharf fisherman plus not in Auckland and the techniques would be different, however try slide baiting while off the rocks.  

Oh and avoid cheap warehouse branded rods reels, you pay for what you get etc.  Talk to your local hunting / fishing retailer, they will help and provide excellent tips and spots

Also have a read of this forum which is very helpful
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/
Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:25:50 am by Randomized

Reply #1 Posted: January 15, 2012, 11:08:13 am

Offline BushySB

• Devoted Member
  • BushySB has no influence.
Bayswater mariner. Get half a mullet, chuck it on your line and catch a 20+ kg kingy

Reply #2 Posted: January 15, 2012, 05:37:22 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
If you guys get into it, go over the manakau bar (requires a boat.)

Once you pass it you're actually just out at deep sea. My dad went 3 days ago and caught a 10 pound snapper. When ever he takes his boat out, you can bet on him going there.

Like I said though, If you guys get into it.

Might want to make sure you google before going though as 'as you go over the bar' there are some things you can do that will mean death. I'll post info tomorrow (technically today.) if i remember.

Reply #3 Posted: January 17, 2012, 12:07:23 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: `Kayne;1462465
If you guys get into it, go over the manakau bar (requires a boat.)

Once you pass it you're actually just out at deep sea. My dad went 3 days ago and caught a 10 pound snapper. When ever he takes his boat out, you can bet on him going there.

Like I said though, If you guys get into it.

Might want to make sure you google before going though as 'as you go over the bar' there are some things you can do that will mean death. I'll post info tomorrow (technically today.) if i remember.

Not recommended for noobs.Dangerous piece of water. Lost one of my best mates to drowning when they capsized going over the bar.

Reply #4 Posted: January 17, 2012, 07:56:43 am

Offline sadisticveneer

• Just settled in
  • sadisticveneer has no influence.
If you can, clean on site by the water, when you catch your boot-full :) . Prevents the missus complaining :)

Reply #5 Posted: January 19, 2012, 08:40:48 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Sounds like people explaining the storyline of Nemo in dis fred.

Reply #6 Posted: January 26, 2012, 10:29:02 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Grab a couple surfcasters, and a shorter rodd for spinning (but never use it). Get a couple dozen and some deckchairs, a portable stereo (or just sit in the car). Bring a magazine, and plenty of cigarettes, munchies and sunscreen.

Enjoy the fact you can call your relaxtion time 'fishing' and it seems like you're being more productive than you actually are.

Baitwise, I personally avoid squid - get some cheap chucksteak or stirfry cuts and then use whatever little buggers you can catch off the small rods.
 Those orange stringy net bag things that are used for mandarins are good if you want to chuck a bunch of cut up fish guts in there and then tie to some line and throw out to try and attract fish.

Reply #7 Posted: February 01, 2012, 10:14:27 pm

Offline sadisticveneer

• Just settled in
Went out the other day for a bit of rock fishing. Caught f all and tore my foot open nicely enough that it still hurts. Will try a take 2 with the kayak I think. Have you guys had much luck lately? Apparently supposed to be a snapper boom atm.

Reply #8 Posted: February 20, 2012, 12:38:08 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
herald island is a nice little spot, head towards Waiake Beach round to winstones cove - which is the bay before the Long Bay/Okura marine reserve,

if you want fishing equipment advice talk to madmike from infinity, he operates a fishing charter up north and runs the local fishing shop up there.

Reply #9 Posted: February 21, 2012, 07:51:53 pm

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
raw tuna for tea tonight . soy ,wasabe, sea salt . awesome

Reply #10 Posted: February 21, 2012, 08:36:22 pm

Offline sadisticveneer

• Just settled in
Quote from: th3fairy;1470641
herald island is a nice little spot, head towards Waiake Beach round to winstones cove - which is the bay before the Long Bay/Okura marine reserve,

if you want fishing equipment advice talk to madmike from infinity, he operates a fishing charter up north and runs the local fishing shop up there.

Went out to the rear of the Tor @ high tide a couple of weeks back. Was good fun except for cutting the shit out of my feet. Going barefoot = Bad.

Reply #11 Posted: March 05, 2012, 01:51:09 pm

Offline areya

• I Posted!
  • areya has no influence.
i love fishing too

Reply #12 Posted: February 28, 2013, 12:05:08 am