Topic: new tv - sony good?

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
hmmm still a  fan of my Samsung Series 6 but can't easily get office pc to stream to it unless files are dumped into the Public videos folder on the OS drive.  another plus is that i can run optical out from the tv to the av receiver.

i'm agreeing with Osiris, 200MHz refresh sounds dam sexy

Reply #25 Posted: February 07, 2013, 03:05:09 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
200hz refresh is just marketing bullshit and means fuck all, fact is that it only accepts a input of 50-60hz and then it interpolates frames using software - just the same as all the other tv's that claim anything over 60hz. Therefore the smoothness of the refresh rests solely on the frame interpolation algorithm. If your tv is shit then playback will be slow and lagged which is okay for movies, but then if you are gaming you will have to turn it off because the controller response latency is too high for gaming. This is why TV's have "Game mode" to turn off all that shit. Or something like that. Meh.

Reply #26 Posted: February 07, 2013, 05:08:23 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1517160
fact is that it only accepts a input of 50-60hz
Very factual..? Where did you make this up from?

Reply #27 Posted: February 07, 2013, 07:32:47 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1517174

It's true.

Why design a TV to accept input greater then 60Hz (which would add to the price) when the majority of content is only 60Hz at most (All movies and broadcast TV).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate#Televisions

Reply #28 Posted: February 07, 2013, 08:18:31 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1517178
It's true.

Why design a TV to accept input greater then 60Hz (which would add to the price) when the majority of content is only 60Hz at most (All movies and broadcast TV).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate#Televisions

Nothing in there says they don't accept 120Hz+ input. I must also say there is nothing saying they support 120Hz+ input.

HDMI 1.4b supports 120Hz, so the ability already exists to push past that 60Hz barrier, I guess it's just up to the TV.

Seems silly to limit yourself to 60Hz, when there is a possibility to "future proof" for pittance.

Reply #29 Posted: February 07, 2013, 10:08:28 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
I would talk to the salesman at JB Hifi, they are professionals and know their stuff!

Reply #30 Posted: February 07, 2013, 10:49:00 pm

Offline Xenolightning

Quote from: deanox;1517199
I would talk to the salesman at JB Hifi, they are professionals and know their stuff!
That's a fun game. There's also "Spot the Geek" at Dicksmith, can provide hours of entertainment if you do it right.

Reply #31 Posted: February 08, 2013, 07:47:27 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1517186
Nothing in there says they don't accept 120Hz+ input. I must also say there is nothing saying they support 120Hz+ input.

HDMI 1.4b supports 120Hz, so the ability already exists to push past that 60Hz barrier, I guess it's just up to the TV.

Seems silly to limit yourself to 60Hz, when there is a possibility to "future proof" for pittance.

Seems silly to "future proof" a TV.

They'd rather you buy a new one.

Reply #32 Posted: February 08, 2013, 08:05:05 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xenolightning;1517211
That's a fun game. There's also "Spot the Geek" at Dicksmith, can provide hours of entertainment if you do it right.

It'd be easier to find a geek with spots at DSE.

Reply #33 Posted: February 08, 2013, 09:20:49 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Xenolightning;1517174

Yes, literally true infact. Perhaps you should read about the 1080p spec http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p. And then perhaps you should look at the input signals that the TV supports from it's spec sheet:

480/60i, 480/60p, 576/50i, 576/50p, 720/50p, 720/60p, 1080/50i, 1080/60i; 720/24p, 720/30p, 1080/24p, 1080/30p (HDMI™ only); 1080/50p, 1080/60p (HDMI™ / Component)

Notice anything about those? The max it supports is 1080/60p. That's a 60hz signal.

As I said, the frames are interpolated. The Sony TV uses Motionflow™ XR 400 for frame interpolation, from the Sony TV's spec sheet:

Quote from: Sony
Motionflow™ technology actually creates additional pictures which inserts into fast-moving sequences to effectively double the number of pictures, or frames, that make up the sequence. This improves motion performance so that fast actions appear clearer, sharper, and smoother.

Quote from: Xenolightning;1517186

So what? A cable spec does not define a devices capabilities.

Quote from: deanox;1517199

Sure they do, especially when they try and sell you a $400 HDMI cable - WITH GOLD PLATED CONNECTORS!!! Salesmen in general only half know what they are talking about. Sometimes it's fun to act dumb and see what kind of BS they can come up with by asking them technical questions. They should get target in on that shit it would be hilarious. Mind you some of them are okay, but they certainly are not technicians.

Reply #34 Posted: February 08, 2013, 10:38:45 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Xenolightning

Quote from: dirtyape;1517237
Yes, literally true infact. Perhaps you should read about the 1080p spec http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p.

Tells me to read 1080p Spec. Links to wikipedia.

O_O

Wikipedia != specification document. If you are relying on wikipedia for your information, I would advise against it. It's good for exploring references, and not much more.

Not to mention there is no "specification" as such. 1080p is just a shorthand for the first line in "your" wikipedia entry.

And then perhaps you should look at the input signals that the TV supports from it's spec sheet:

480/60i, 480/60p, 576/50i, 576/50p, 720/50p, 720/60p, 1080/50i, 1080/60i; 720/24p, 720/30p, 1080/24p, 1080/30p (HDMI™ only); 1080/50p, 1080/60p (HDMI™ / Component)

Notice anything about those? The max it supports is 1080/60p. That's a 60hz signal.

As I said, the frames are interpolated. The Sony TV uses Motionflow™ XR 400 for frame interpolation, from the Sony TV's spec sheet:

I can only assume this is correct. I don't know what TV your are referring to, but in the scenario you have provided I agree with you. The suspect TV only supports a 60Hz input, therefore any extra advertised frames will be interpolated.

So what? A cable spec does not define a devices capabilities.

Can you read, or wood y00 liek me 2 talk lyk dis? I was referring to no other limiting factors except for the TV input:

To do a full circle. I bring it back to:
...fact is that it only accepts a input of 50-60hz...

which should really be
...fact is that if it only accepts a input of 50-60hz...
Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:30:19 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #35 Posted: February 08, 2013, 01:27:13 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Xenolightning;1517254
Tells me to read 1080p Spec. Links to wikipedia.

O_O

Wikipedia != specification document. If you are relying on wikipedia for your information, I would advise against it. It's good for exploring references, and not much more.

Not to mention there is no "specification" as such. 1080p is just a shorthand for the first line in "your" wikipedia entry.

I can only assume this is correct. I don't know what TV your are referring to, but in the scenario you have provided I agree with you. The suspect TV only supports a 60Hz input, therefore any extra advertised frames will be interpolated.

Can you read, or wood y00 liek me 2 talk lyk dis? I was referring to no other limiting factors except for the TV input:

To do a full circle. I bring it back to:

which should really be
Oh fuck you Xeno, believe what you want.

Reply #36 Posted: February 08, 2013, 01:39:53 pm

So in conclusion, DirtyApe was right all along.

Pretty much all modern consumer TV's only accept a max of 60Hz.

Sony clearly explain 'Motionflow(TM)' on the spec sheets on thier website.

Samsung has the same thing. They call it 'Clear Motion Rate'

Quote from: .osiRiS;1516988
Out of the 2 the Sony is far superior. What do you want from the TV?

The Sony is 200hz compared to the 50hz Samsung.

Where did these numbers even come from?

Reply #37 Posted: February 08, 2013, 01:58:45 pm

Offline Xenolightning

The lack of a direct quote in dirtyapes' initial statement, inferred a loss of context. I was unsure as to what TV he was referring to, as a result it appeared his facts applied to all TV's.

Which is where Spacemonkey kindly pointed out, that most (but not all) consumer TV's only accept 60Hz input signals.

For those TV's that meet the requirements..

I'm right, and it would be worth getting a TV that supported a higher refresh rate.

Reply #38 Posted: February 08, 2013, 02:27:12 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Quote from: Xenolightning;1517273
I'm right, and it would be worth getting a TV that supported a higher refresh rate.

Does such a one exist?

Reply #39 Posted: February 08, 2013, 02:49:03 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1517279
Does such a one exist?
No. I don't think so. Unless someone wants to identify one that does.

Reply #40 Posted: February 09, 2013, 03:57:38 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Probably going with the Sony EX750 then.

Thanks.

Reply #41 Posted: February 11, 2013, 06:06:36 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: mycoolcar;1517676

Thanks.
You gonna enjoy.

Reply #42 Posted: February 11, 2013, 06:09:23 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Quote from: mycoolcar;1517676

Thanks.

Good luck finding one :P I'll see if I can source it for you anyway/

Reply #43 Posted: February 11, 2013, 07:29:57 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Erm, why are they hard to find? Because they are new? I noticed there is no stock on sony's site...

Reply #44 Posted: February 11, 2013, 08:01:15 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
They are one year old but not a common size to get that spec in.

Reply #45 Posted: February 11, 2013, 08:14:00 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Without looking too deep the Sony is better, Edge lit LED so thinner.
Samsung has a "Clear motion rate" of 100 = 50Hz + software
Sony has Motion flow XR400 which is either 100HZ or 200Hz + software
They can flicker backlighting and crap like that (don't know about that model) to try and solve the motion blur problem of the LED while creating a "soap opera effect" where the motion in the picture looks like the filming in a soap opera.

Sony is 3d so should have a higher native frame rate.

But look at the other things like how many USB/HDMI, do you want component or RGB for plugging existing stuff into etc.  Also input lag if you used it for Gaming

Just take chain saw to the cabinet and by a 50" TV

(My Sony LCD shat itself after 4 or 5 years, just got a Samsung 50" 5000 series mainly because it was on special and came with a free Xbox - is okay, lower range so doesn't upscale SD images well. )

Reply #46 Posted: February 13, 2013, 08:44:18 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Sad Panda.

Not in stock. Have been offered a KDL32EX650 instead. Lower spec by the looks of it.

http://www.sony.lv/product/tv-80-32-lcd/kdl-32ex650/technical-specifications#tab

Unsure what do to now.

Reply #47 Posted: March 05, 2013, 05:52:34 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
get a perm

Reply #48 Posted: March 05, 2013, 05:59:56 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
My beard is permed.

Reply #49 Posted: March 05, 2013, 06:06:20 pm