Topic: Ubuntu 12.10

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Anyone else running this?

I'm enjoying it more then Windows 8. Got this horrendous HP sleekbook for supercheap and it had windows 8 on it. After the slow startup times, slow apps and bluescreens I ragequit and threw Ubuntu on it.

1000x better tbh, at least on low end machines.

Posted: February 27, 2013, 08:32:31 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
12.04@work.

You're not using that mad as unity crap are you? Looks as bad as windows 8 :<
Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:25:11 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #1 Posted: February 28, 2013, 06:26:57 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Unsure. Very new to this stuff. Can you please elaborate a little further?

Reply #2 Posted: February 28, 2013, 06:45:53 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Ah, see this is the beauty of Linux. Don't like some shit? Change it. Super personalisable.
Even Ubuntu, who tend to try and hide this fact as much as possible, is permissive enough to let you run wild.

Unity: Looks like glossy shit, but is really more of the same minus the glossy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)
Which apparently runs on
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/
Which is apparently a major step backwards (much like W8 vs W7) compared to the previous version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME

I started my adventure with Linux using KDE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Software_Compilation

Which bore the KHTML project, which Apple stole and improved into webkit, which now powers most broswers around including Safari, Chrome, and soon Opera.
There have been talks about KHTML and Webkit merging back together. That would be interesting.

Other window managers & desktop environments worth looking into if you're more of a lightweight kinda guy (tend to get less 'sexy' as the list goes down though):
XFCE
OpenBox with LXDE
Fluxbox
Blackbox (what I tend to use)
wmii
dwm

I tend to use blackbox because I'm a minimalist arsehole who hasn't been bothered to get into tiling window managers yet.
It's familiar enough while needing no external library to run.
Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:47:25 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #3 Posted: February 28, 2013, 08:33:22 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Yea i'm on 12.10 with unity  on my work computer.
I'm mostly a linux noob so haven't really bothered looking into what is best etc.
Tell me oh wise Pyro what benefits do I get for changing this shizzle?
Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:53:59 pm by Bell

Reply #4 Posted: February 28, 2013, 08:50:22 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Comfort.

If you fiddle enough and don't break shit you can also claim e-penis.

It's all personal preference for the most part. Although I encourage people to test different environments out so they learn shit about how the system fits together.

Just... beware the middle click. Drives most newbies insane.

Becasue it pastes.
But in linux, selecting stuff puts it in the clipboard, you don't have to copy - whatever you selected last gets dumped in to wherever you middle clicked.
Although there is a separate clipboard for copied stuff the ctrl+c/p way in most WM's. So that often adds to the confusion.
Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:05:16 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #5 Posted: February 28, 2013, 08:57:15 pm

Offline swindle

Woah. Cool. Thanks for the intel dude. Appreciated.

Gonna kill Unity and give Gnome a burn. I hear good things.

Reply #6 Posted: February 28, 2013, 10:22:52 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Gnome was forked when they released 3 and there are several projects that have kept developing version 2 should you wish to compare. I forget the names, but the most popular ones are listed in that wiki article I linked.

Reply #7 Posted: March 01, 2013, 12:30:26 am

Offline swindle

Scrapped Unity for Xubuntu. Nice. Vnice.

Reply #8 Posted: March 01, 2013, 01:32:30 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Xubuntu is what I used for a file server for a while

might grab the iso for this at work and have a play

Reply #9 Posted: March 01, 2013, 08:30:55 am

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: swindle;1519459
Scrapped Unity for Xubuntu. Nice. Vnice.

That's XFCE right?

Reply #10 Posted: March 02, 2013, 12:12:59 pm

Offline swindle

It is indeed. Vnice with an ICON pack.

Reply #11 Posted: March 02, 2013, 06:08:13 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeh. To anyone who runs things like object dock and or windows blinds etc, linux is a bit of a wet dream in that regard.

You're a rainmeter kinda guy iirc, you might want to look into conky. It's not much on the eyes to begin with, but some people do some pretty mad shit with it. Super configurable. Although that comes at the price of having to fiddle with config files.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conky_%28software%29#Screenshots (cf. middle shot, the desktop 'picture' seems to actually be conky).
Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:16:47 am by Pyromanik

Reply #12 Posted: March 03, 2013, 11:00:00 am

Offline swindle

Woah. Very cool.

Reply #13 Posted: March 03, 2013, 05:09:09 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Word of warning though, I've never used it, and I have heard that it can be a bitch to configure.
Still, plenty of shared configs out there, and help on the googles.

Reply #14 Posted: March 03, 2013, 05:20:34 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Word of warning though, I've never used it, and I have heard that it can be a bitch to configure.
Still, plenty of shared configs out there, and help on the googles.

Reply #15 Posted: March 03, 2013, 05:20:50 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Take some screenies and shiz, show us what you end up with :D

Reply #16 Posted: March 03, 2013, 08:37:04 pm