Topic: Can't outrun the police in Dubai

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

Posted: April 23, 2013, 01:55:37 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Wow.

What a huge waste of money.

Reply #1 Posted: April 23, 2013, 03:10:31 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: swindle;1523988
Wow.

What a huge waste of money.

not really - I am pretty sure Scotland yard have a few lambos as well - its hard to pull someone in a supercar capable of doing 200+ mph when your patrol car tops out at 150 mph.

Hell most helicopters don't get much above 150 mph - the lynx is rated to 200 Mph and the record is for 249....

Reply #2 Posted: April 23, 2013, 04:58:22 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
It kinda is.

What the hell are you going to do if you need to hit that speed to catch someone?

"Oh shit, dis guy is going 200 hunna K's, I betta stop" - said no criminal ever. And they're not exactly going to use the Lambo as a battering ram to fish tail speeders...

The amount of training and skill it takes to handle a car of that calibre also, you just can't drop in a casual street-cop in the drivers seat and expect him to use the car to its full potential.

Reply #3 Posted: April 23, 2013, 05:21:52 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1523994
not really - I am pretty sure Scotland yard have a few lambos as well - its hard to pull someone in a supercar capable of doing 200+ mph when your patrol car tops out at 150 mph.

Hell most helicopters don't get much above 150 mph - the lynx is rated to 200 Mph and the record is for 249....

Yes but a car will only do 200mph constantly for about 45 minutes where a helicopter can do 200mph for 4 hours....

Reply #4 Posted: April 23, 2013, 05:27:19 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
It's mostly for show. They'll drive it around the rich tourist areas. Because when rich tourists get arrested, they want to get arrested in style.

Reply #5 Posted: April 23, 2013, 05:27:41 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBB/Kawasaki_BK_117

Max. Speed 155km/h

This is a similar model to the Lifeflight Rescue Helo down here in Welly.

Reply #6 Posted: April 23, 2013, 05:45:59 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Pitchey;1524000

Max. Speed 155km/h

they definitely need to put bigger engines in them

Reply #7 Posted: April 23, 2013, 06:00:41 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Piece of shit will catch on fire anyway.

Reply #8 Posted: April 23, 2013, 06:01:10 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Obble

Jelly nerds all up in dis fread

Reply #9 Posted: April 23, 2013, 06:11:01 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1523994

Since when was a helicopter not the most effective thing the police have ever used to catch speeding criminals?

Since when was chasing criminals @ 150MPh+ in another car effective?

This is a "my ginormous dick, look at it" gesture. If they really had intent to catch speeding criminals, they would be buying this.

Top speed: 0MPh

Stops 99% of cars at any speed.

Reply #10 Posted: April 23, 2013, 06:15:04 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Takes all the fun out of it though!

Reply #11 Posted: April 23, 2013, 06:28:36 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Land mines would be more fun!

Reply #12 Posted: April 23, 2013, 06:33:58 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

Max. Speed 155km/h

This is what the eagle unit in auckland use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_AS355#Specifications_.28AS355F2.29

Here's a post I made on kiwibiker about hypothetically being chased by a helicopter:

This really isn't a question about speed, it's about stamina

So a bike is only going to sit on 300km/h for half an hour before its tank is empty? so the furthest you can go from any point is only ~150km

A police helicopter can top out at 280km/h, but can do so for much longer (I think it'd be about 4 times longer, but as we're about to see it only needs to be a little bit longer)

Given that you can only out run a police chopper in basically a straight line we'll run with the following:

The police helicopter would get 139km before you ran out of gas at 150km, so it's 11km away, and closing at 278km/h which gives you 2 minutes and 20 seconds to refuel and/or find somewhere to hide.

So I'd only attempt a runner from a helicopter if I was on an adventure bike, I'd hike it into the high country where no cop car could follow, and just work away at the helicopter and hope he ran out of gas first, this would give me at least 40 minutes (they have a 20 minute reserve tank) to refuel and find somewhere else to hide.

Reply #13 Posted: April 23, 2013, 06:43:30 pm

Max. Speed 155km/h

*Links to Wikipedia articles where it states 155 mph.

*Posts 155  km/h on forum.

Reply #14 Posted: April 23, 2013, 08:21:29 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: private_hell;1524001
they definitely need to put bigger engines in them

its not the engine size that limits the speed of a heli - its retreating blade stall.

I still maintain that it is necessary when policing areas that have a high number of supercar ownership. its the same logic why in the UK there are various branches that use Mitsi Evos and Subarus (which aren't common in the UK in the same way they are over here)

While I concede it may be an academic argument as to whether or not it would be an advantage or not - there are 2 things to bear in mind:

1: public image - if the average clientel in an area are able to outrun or outgun the police then the police look bad (and certainly dubai would meet the critiera of having average clientel owning supercars)
2: Psychological factor - if I am hooning away from the police in a powerful car and leaving the average police cars behind and then suddenly I have a lambo on my tail that is able to match me corner for corner, speed for speed - it provides a huge psychological motivation to give up - you know that you aren't going to be able to get away, might as well give up.

Reply #15 Posted: April 23, 2013, 09:09:50 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1524011
*Links to Wikipedia articles where it states 155 mph.

*Posts 155  km/h on forum.

I have shamed myself, I must commit sepuku!

However, before I go and make a mess of the lounge carpet, I would point out that cars have to drive on roads and go around corners, helicopters don't.

Reply #16 Posted: April 23, 2013, 09:15:47 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1524018
1: public image - if the average clientel in an area are able to outrun or outgun the police then the police look bad (and certainly dubai would meet the critiera of having average clientel owning supercars)
2: Psychological factor - if I am hooning away from the police in a powerful car and leaving the average police cars behind and then suddenly I have a lambo on my tail that is able to match me corner for corner, speed for speed - it provides a huge psychological motivation to give up - you know that you aren't going to be able to get away, might as well give up.

I'm not sure if many people in a car chase think this at all, of all the car chases I've seen from american television it's always a fat american in an average piece of shit being chased by more fat americans in equally piece of shit cars.

America is a bit of a key factor there though...

Quote from: Pitchey;1524019
I have shamed myself, I must commit sepuku!

However, before I go and make a mess of the lounge carpet, I would point out that cars have to drive on roads and go around corners, helicopters don't.

helicopters have a hard time changing direction, bikes on the isle of man leave them standing.

Reply #17 Posted: April 23, 2013, 10:00:07 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1524023
I'm not sure if many people in a car chase think this at all, of all the car chases I've seen from american television it's always a fat american in an average piece of shit being chased by more fat americans in equally piece of shit cars.

America is a bit of a key factor there though...

Too true on that point - there was a UK based cop show though where a guy in a Porsche out drove the Police Heli, and all the pursuit cars, he ended up parking the car, calling his lawyer and then waiting for the police to catch up.

I wish I could remember the series name but alas it escapes me.

Another point to raise is Cruising speed vs Vne (velocity never exceed) a lot of the figures quoted in this thread for heli speeds are for Vne, which even the bravest pilots are unlikely to sit at Vne for very long periods of time (as generally they run the risk of retreating blade stalls or exceeding the structural limitations of the air frame - both of which aren't very wise)

generally even when pushing it, most pilots will sit 10-20 Knots under Vne to make sure that a gust of wind doesn't push them over or that they aren't over-stressing the air frame.

Reply #18 Posted: April 23, 2013, 10:09:47 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1524023
helicopters have a hard time changing direction, bikes on the isle of man leave them standing.

I know some 3 Squadron pilots that can thrown an Iroquois around pretty well!

Also, we were talking about cars, now you're talking about bikes? Back to the lavatory with you!

Reply #19 Posted: April 23, 2013, 11:29:36 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
People like this is why they can afford to and need to have Lambo's as their squad cars.

Reply #20 Posted: April 23, 2013, 11:51:19 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1524025
Too true on that point - there was a UK based cop show though where a guy in a Porsche out drove the Police Heli, and all the pursuit cars, he ended up parking the car, calling his lawyer and then waiting for the police to catch up.

I wish I could remember the series name but alas it escapes me.

Another point to raise is Cruising speed vs Vne (velocity never exceed) a lot of the figures quoted in this thread for heli speeds are for Vne, which even the bravest pilots are unlikely to sit at Vne for very long periods of time (as generally they run the risk of retreating blade stalls or exceeding the structural limitations of the air frame - both of which aren't very wise)

generally even when pushing it, most pilots will sit 10-20 Knots under Vne to make sure that a gust of wind doesn't push them over or that they aren't over-stressing the air frame.

even at cruising speed you only have a few seconds more to fuel up again before the chopper is on top of you....

Quote from: Pitchey;1524028
I know some 3 Squadron pilots that can thrown an Iroquois around pretty well!

Also, we were talking about cars, now you're talking about bikes? Back to the lavatory with you!

It was a post I made on kiwibiker, it's the same story for a luxury sports car, except it'll cost you 25x more money to do so.

Reply #21 Posted: April 23, 2013, 11:51:55 pm

Quote from: Dr. Acula;1524032
People like this is why they can afford to and need to have Lambo's as their squad cars.

I love how some guy just hands him a thick wad of cash.

Reply #22 Posted: April 24, 2013, 04:05:08 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Do you not have goons following you round handing you cash like that? Sheesh! Monkeys..

Reply #23 Posted: May 03, 2013, 09:19:16 am

Quote from: PrinceTuiTeka;1524719
Do you not have goons following you round handing you cash like that? Sheesh! Monkeys..

Of course. That's why I love it so much.

Reply #24 Posted: May 03, 2013, 09:59:00 am