Topic: Gearbox owns Homeworld

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Gearbox has bought the Homeworld franchise for NZ$1.60 million.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/1027481.20130423.Gearbox-the-new-owner-of-the-Homeworld-franchise

Looking forward to a Homeword 3

Posted: April 23, 2013, 09:56:36 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1524022

Looking forward to a Homeword 3

But Gearbox.

Reply #1 Posted: April 23, 2013, 11:42:17 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
"Reboots" are all the rage at the moment. What's the odds on a FPS reboot?

Reply #2 Posted: April 24, 2013, 11:46:30 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I used to be a real fan of Gearbox. I mean, Borderlands, come on, that shit was/is awesome.

Then they went and turned into silly billies with how they handled Colonial Marines.

Reply #3 Posted: April 24, 2013, 12:13:07 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Gearbox is a huge fan of DLC which is a big negative for me

At least they are aware of the pc market which is a small positive

Reply #4 Posted: April 26, 2013, 08:49:06 am
- badfox

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: oefox;1524169
Gearbox is a huge fan of DLC which is a big negative for me

I don't see DLC as much of an issue.

More content which you pay for, as opposed to in the past where you got no extra content at all for many games.

Reply #5 Posted: April 26, 2013, 08:58:00 am

Quote from: Scunner;1524054

For Homeworld?

Reply #6 Posted: April 26, 2013, 08:59:12 am

Offline Warcrimes

• Just settled in
  • Warcrimes has no influence.
ohhh fuck yeah, homeworld was an awesome game

Reply #7 Posted: April 26, 2013, 09:17:43 am
Kookynic - "facebook, it\'s a Pokédex for people"

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
spaceships pew pew pew.

Yes please.

Reply #8 Posted: April 26, 2013, 09:35:45 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1524171
For Homeworld?

Well, yeah. Like how Syndicate was rebooted. Gearbox has only produced FPS's after all.

Not that I think they will, but it's a possibility.

Reply #9 Posted: April 26, 2013, 11:13:05 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1524171
For Homeworld?

Well, yeah. Like how Syndicate was rebooted. Gearbox has only produced FPS's after all.

Not that I think they will, but it's a possibility.

Reply #10 Posted: April 26, 2013, 11:13:24 am

You could play a marine when a ship is boarding another ship.

Reply #11 Posted: April 26, 2013, 11:22:10 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
HOW THE FUCK EVE...  made me rage....

FPS dominated game producer Gearbox.. selected to remake one of the best space rts of all time.... (something they have no experience with)

FFS i hope to god they use the unreal engine or the Frostbite engine.. if they use cartoony borderlands engine it will be more doomed and less promising that the pile of shit it's starting to reak of at the moment...

bit like EA rebooting simcity, or their failed attempt at rebooting dungeon keeper..

Reply #12 Posted: April 26, 2013, 11:54:51 am

Quote from: Xsannz;1524181
bit like EA rebooting simcity,

Why do people call Simcity a reboot? It is a city building game. It's not like there is any storyline.

Reply #13 Posted: April 26, 2013, 12:33:49 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
its still a reboot.. like sim city society....  both that and this latest attempt at capturing the gamers imagination and hours upon hours..  of gaming have failed..

the original simcity i put 4 years into.. i still have saved games somewhere for it, same with civilization.... 1-3 the latest just doesnt have the playability anymore...  i liked games when i could lose 8-12 hours and not notice

Reply #14 Posted: April 26, 2013, 02:10:20 pm

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a reboot.

A reboot means it's not a pre/sequel to the previous game in the series, aka Doom 3. A reboot changes the story from the original game.

SimCity has no story, so it's not a reboot.
Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:51:54 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #15 Posted: April 26, 2013, 02:45:12 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Xsannz;1524181
HOW THE FUCK EVE...  made me rage....

FPS dominated game producer Gearbox.. selected to remake one of the best space rts of all time.... (something they have no experience with)

FFS i hope to god they use the unreal engine or the Frostbite engine.. if they use cartoony borderlands engine it will be more doomed and less promising that the pile of shit it's starting to reak of at the moment...

bit like EA rebooting simcity, or their failed attempt at rebooting dungeon keeper..

I never really liked the whole "This company has no experience doing X" thing when it comes to games.
My last company went from making RTS to making sports games pretty much overnight and for the general artist or programmer it made no difference.
Aslong as they have some game designers that have worked on RTS before and the engine guys know how to make/tweak an RTS focused engine they are golden.
Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:36:56 pm by Bell

Reply #16 Posted: April 26, 2013, 06:32:09 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
yeah but gearbox make mediocre games with the occasional sparkle that could have been.

they have yet to have what manny would deam to be a massive hit.

whereas teh forebearers of homeworld relic.. had massive cult followings with the homeworld titles.

Reply #17 Posted: April 26, 2013, 06:58:15 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I think it all comes down to how much bank they have.
They are an independent studio with the rights to an awesome franchise, which means publishers (traditional franchise owners) can't fuck with them and dictate how they should homeworld.
That's a big positive in my book.

Yes they fucked Aliens but I bet licencing fucked them at every turn.
They would have taken orders from SEGA whom in turn had to take orders from Fox who owns the licence.
It's generally a clusterfuck when execs with too much decision making power and no knowledge of game-making want to throw their 2 cents in review meetings.

I'm seen some of those fucking meetings where execs want to see the shiney shit right now and can't make a call on gameplay direction until the animations are just right. Which is like asking someone to build an entire skyscraper to make sure the design of the skyscraper windows is right. "You know I've just got to see those windows in the context of like the entire building"

God I hate fucking publishers they ruin everything.
/rant
Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:05:09 pm by Bell

Reply #18 Posted: April 26, 2013, 08:50:36 pm

Reply #19 Posted: September 02, 2013, 05:02:37 pm