Topic: Graphics cad buying advice

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Hi all, I have been given the OK to buy a new card and am keen on a GTX760. There are quite a few of these new cards and I have no idea which one to go for. They also come 2GB and 4gb. Any suggestions? I want it to run BF4 reasonably well.

Also will a pci-e3 card run on my 750i SLI MB?

Here's a 4GB one that sounds great for under $500
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?r=p&partid=20327

And another for $50 more
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?r=p&partid=19900

And a 2GB one
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAAS62736&qr=priceme

Then I just got an email from Computerlounge with some AMD deals, how would this 7970compare to the GTX 760's?
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16504
Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:04:27 pm by bigROBOTbill

Posted: October 09, 2013, 12:32:26 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I would wait for a little while BRB.

Wait until the new amd cards get benched and see if the new cards and the supposed BF4 support for AMD lives to the hype. AMD & BF4 + mantle is 'meant' to leave NV in the dust.

3 weeks or so then you can make a better decision!

Reply #1 Posted: October 09, 2013, 01:06:51 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Probably very sensible advice Growler, but 3 weeks is a loooong time...  :(

Reply #2 Posted: October 09, 2013, 01:25:32 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Yep wait for AMD.

They have some low level awesomesauce technology that is supposed to be bettererr than DirectX.

Reply #3 Posted: October 09, 2013, 01:25:43 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
yep, I know they always say don't wait as always something better, but in this case we know it's coming with the BF4 release, since you are targeting that for your upgrade it would be in your best interests and costs to procrastinate!

Reply #4 Posted: October 09, 2013, 01:38:36 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
AMD.... if its anything like the drivers.....

Reply #5 Posted: October 09, 2013, 02:14:00 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Yes I know, I've had an AMD card before and do prefer Nvidea, but if BF4 is going to run so much better on AMD, especially with this new Mantle optimization it is definately worth waiting a while.

Hey has anybody updated their win7 to win8 and did it go smoothly? Did you need to reinstall anything?

Reply #6 Posted: October 09, 2013, 05:47:25 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: bigROBOTbill;1532914
Yes I know, I've had an AMD card before and do prefer Nvidea, but if BF4 is going to run so much better on AMD, especially with this new Mantle optimization it is definately worth waiting a while.

Hey has anybody updated their win7 to win8 and did it go smoothly? Did you need to reinstall anything?
I personally would never do an upgrade of OS. You get left with crap from the old one slowing down the machine.

Best option is to find the things you want to keep, make a list of the programs you use, and install a fresh OS.

Reply #7 Posted: October 09, 2013, 08:16:18 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Apparently Playtech are launching the new cards tomorrow:

http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139234/CATID=961/page=1/radeon_r7.html
http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139234/CATID=960/page=1/radeon_r9.html

Prices and stock available from 10am tomorrow morning.

Reply #8 Posted: October 11, 2013, 12:15:22 pm

Offline Meat2Potatos

• Just settled in
  • Meat2Potatos has no influence.
Until the 290's are released, I doubt there will be any serious price restructuring as the 270/280's are just a refresh of the 7 series cards.

That's still 2 weeks or so away I believe.

Reply #9 Posted: October 11, 2013, 12:50:25 pm
"You make life hard, you get hard people" - Jan Molenaar

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
YA'LL MOTHERFUCKERS NEED JESUS.

And I need to stop drinking at work.

Reply #10 Posted: October 11, 2013, 12:53:39 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Prices are live.

Reply #11 Posted: October 11, 2013, 03:24:54 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Prices aren't bad, now to see some comparisons as to which one to get!
:)

Reply #12 Posted: October 11, 2013, 04:14:28 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Quote from: Meat2Potatos;1533021
Until the 290's are released, I doubt there will be any serious price restructuring as the 270/280's are just a refresh of the 7 series cards.

That's still 2 weeks or so away I believe.

^^^ this, wait for the 290's

Reply #13 Posted: October 11, 2013, 04:16:31 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Just read some reviews on the 280's on Guru3D and they say they are about the same as the 7970, so the 290's should be more grunty. Though they do say the extra is only of benefit if you run more than one monitor.

Reply #14 Posted: October 12, 2013, 08:14:05 am

Offline Meat2Potatos

• Just settled in
  • Meat2Potatos has no influence.
The 290's (they seem to be talking titan performance. No benchies yet) will possibly put pressure on nvidias 780/titan line up performance wise. AMD have also stated RRP prices that are significantly cheaper which many hope will force nvidia to at least price match in some form. Therefore hopefully putting pressure on the 280/270 and their nvidia equivalents price wise too.

2 weeks away or so. Why rush when BF is about to be released roughly the same time and your existing cards can still play the game.

Also, the AMD mantle api could be (who really knows at this point) a real game changer performance wise. Nvidia have Nvapi but that hasn't seen much in the way of performance increases/optimization.

Reply #15 Posted: October 12, 2013, 12:01:19 pm
"You make life hard, you get hard people" - Jan Molenaar

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Also read that the 280x can crossfire with the 7970, which makes me extremely happy as Asus have kindly continued the DirectCU II, triple-slot style coolers from the previous generations. Means I can my 7970 paired with a 280x and they'll look identical :)

Anyway, I would wait until benches come out for the 290x, then make your decision. Still a couple of weeks til BF4 is released, and who knows what'll happened then.

Reply #16 Posted: October 13, 2013, 03:36:19 am
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
They are well priced. Will be interesting to see what nvidia does

Reply #17 Posted: October 13, 2013, 01:08:26 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
It certainly makes for interesting times!

Reply #18 Posted: October 14, 2013, 07:35:29 am

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
Toms Hardware has done a review of 16 GPUs performance in the beta.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graphics-card-performance,3634.html

Tested:

GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3
GeForce GT 630 512 MB GDDR5
GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1 GB GDDR5
GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5
GeForce GTX 670 2 GB GDDR5
GeForce GTX 770 2 GB GDDR5
GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB GDDR5
GeForce GTX 690 4 GB GDDR5

Radeon HD 6450 512 MB GDDR5
Radeon HD 6670 512 MB DDR3
Radeon HD 7770 1 GB GDDR5
Radeon HD 7790 1 GB GDDR5
Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5
Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3 GB GDDR5
Radeon HD 7970 3 GB GDDR5
Radeon HD 7990 6 GB GDDR5

'A new networked water feature ensures that all players see the same waves in the water at the same time, allowing small naval craft to hide behind waves in rough seas.'
Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:05:51 pm by Kopfjaeger

Reply #19 Posted: October 14, 2013, 04:58:08 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
Thanks for that Kopfjy, seems like the 7970 looks pretty good, now we need on of those with the new cards included!  :)

Reply #20 Posted: October 14, 2013, 05:20:22 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: bigROBOTbill;1533188
Thanks for that Kopfjy, seems like the 7970 looks pretty good, now we need on of those with the new cards included!  :)

260X = 7790
270X = 7870
280X = 7970

So they just need to add the 290X, and its all sorted...

Reply #21 Posted: October 14, 2013, 09:29:47 pm