Topic: Microsoft makes source code available to museum of technology

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
MSDOS 1.0 was only 300kb? Well I never
It’s mind-boggling to think of the growth from those days when Microsoft had under 100 employees and a Microsoft product (MS-DOS) had less than 300KB (yes, kilobytes) of source code. From those roots we’ve grown in a few short decades to become a company that has sold more than 200 million licenses of Windows 8 and has over 1 billion people using Microsoft Office. Great things come from modest beginnings, and the great Microsoft devices and services of the future will probably start small, just as MS-DOS and Word for Windows did.

Reply #1 Posted: March 26, 2014, 11:10:05 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I could have done it in 200kb.

Reply #2 Posted: March 26, 2014, 12:04:37 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I feel deprived that the article only linked to other articles about MS releasing code. No code to be found.
Did they print it on paper and frame it in a physical museum or something?

Reply #3 Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:33:10 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I could have done it in 200kb.
According to Wikipedia they wrote it in less than 160kb because 160kb single sided floppy disks were the standard at the time

Seriously though: $40 for IBM PC DOS or $240 for CP/M-86. That isnt even competition

Reply #4 Posted: March 27, 2014, 12:27:58 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I feel deprived that the article only linked to other articles about MS releasing code. No code to be found.
Did they print it on paper and frame it in a physical museum or something?

It would make some cool wallpaper for a house.

Reply #5 Posted: March 27, 2014, 12:34:14 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Microsoft's on site museum on their Redwood campus is pretty awesome.

Oh, none of you have been there? Well, you'll just have to take my word for it.

HAHAHAHAHA PIG FUCKERS.

Reply #6 Posted: March 27, 2014, 03:00:44 pm

HAHAHAHAHA PIG FUCKERS.

You make us all so jealous.

Reply #7 Posted: March 27, 2014, 03:54:12 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I'm so alone.

Reply #8 Posted: March 27, 2014, 04:01:32 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

HAHAHAHAHA PIG FUCKERS.
And I thought the comments I leave in my code were harsh
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/27/hidden-jokes-exposed-in-microsoft-code/
Microsoft's programmers may have been creating some of the biggest and most important software titles back in the 1980s, but that didn’t stop them from joking around when crafting the code that powered them.

Yesterday, Microsoft and the Computer History Museum released the source code for early versions of Microsoft’s MS-DOS and Word programs, which one developer ciphered through and found hidden jokes.

Lines like “coded inline because we’re Gods,” were hidden throughout, the f-bomb gets dropped a few times, and programmers commented on their “dumb users.” All of the unusual comments can be seen below.

Reply #9 Posted: March 28, 2014, 08:35:45 am

Bunch of hacks.

Reply #10 Posted: March 28, 2014, 09:02:09 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
fox news page not found.
I guess it was a fuck'n god hack of an article.

Reply #11 Posted: March 28, 2014, 09:24:38 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.