Topic: World War 2 Online

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
  • Xt1ncT has no influence.
Does anyone here play it?

I know it's sub based, but from the amount of people who do play it could be worth it.

If there are people that play it, what are the pros and what are the cons? I could be interested in having a go - there is a 14 day free trial at the moment as well.

Posted: March 06, 2008, 11:19:40 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
ping ? cost?

does ping matter?

Reply #1 Posted: March 06, 2008, 11:26:14 am

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Your first cost after the 14 days is $19.99 US, then $14.99 US amonth.

So not too bad really - considering the game is free.

Not sure about pings, but will find out as I've signed up and will have a go tonight or tomorrow night.

Reply #2 Posted: March 06, 2008, 11:31:13 am

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
  • Foxman has no influence.
I've played it on and off for about 4 years now and overall its brilliant. The combat is on a massive scale with proper combined arms maneuvers involving hundreds of players, all coordinated by a dedicated group of players that make up the high command unit.

I've had some truly amazing experiences in the game and the changes/additions over the last year or so have vast improved the game further. Ping isn't a huge issue although it will rear its head from time to time with the odd instance of warping or rubber banding.

However, the learning curve is steep and the player population is relatively small.  Finding action can often take a long (long) time although the interface has been improved to help players get into hot spots faster. The game enine is old and although its gradually being brought up to more modern specs, its not the greatest looking game. Its functional more than pretty but when you can engage a tank at a range of 6kms, prettiness takes a backseat to functionality very fast :D

The benefit of a small player base is that they are incredibly helpful and new players are generally well looked after. The best thing to do is not load the game and try to play it like a regular online FPS as that will result in frustration very quickly. Combat is a mix of urban and rural centred on townships or cities. In a rural setting, you'll almost never see what kills you as the average range of engagement is around 250-350m and a prone person is actually really really small at that distance. Vehicles are more obvious but of course deadly at far greater ranges. Urban combat is only different in the ranges, you'll still get plugged by something you never see more often than not.

Patience is the order of the day.

Its definitely worth go with the 14 day trial and as long as you approach it with the mindset of a complete noob (ie don't think you know how to use certain weapons based on other games) then you'll find the learning curve easier to overcome. Take some time to read the player guides on the website and don't be afraid to ask questions in the game.

Heres the best place to start:

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Main_Page

If you want to try out vehicles, heres an excellent guide on Panzers which demonstrates the level of accuracy.

http://home.arcor.de/Jalik/pzguide/panzerguideeng.html

I'm not active at the moment (dead desktop) but I'm happy to answer any questions that don't require an in-game response :)

I can tell some pretty crazy stories of multi-crewed tanks and aircraft as well as some epic battles hehe.

Reply #3 Posted: March 06, 2008, 11:38:42 am

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Thanks Foxy.

I've signed up for the trial and will have a go.

Would be interested in getttng a few people from NZ together and maybe form a squadron. Plus getting a few new players together at the same time could make the learning more fun as we'd be learning at the same time.

Reply #4 Posted: March 06, 2008, 12:38:01 pm

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
There are/were a few kiwis in the game on the Allied side as the ANZAC squad, not sure how active they are in WW2O these days but you can find them here http://anzac.mdsnews.com/.

I never interacted with them other than to shoot them since I play Axis but all accounts point to them being a good bunch.

On a side note, CRS have recently landed a deal to publish the game in China which will hopefully mean more revenue for them to use improving the game in future.

Reply #5 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:05:53 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
they want ur CC details just for the trial which is lame.

Reply #6 Posted: March 06, 2008, 01:41:17 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
me and bell use to play it quite a bit

konev probably still plays it (although he's a tanker)...ahh just asked him...no he doesnt...

loose unit would play from time to time.

flying in a group of 2 or 3 id funner, but i seem to get more kills when i solo...

i am also inactive atm

Reply #7 Posted: March 06, 2008, 02:28:10 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: KiLL3r;670933
they want ur CC details just for the trial which is lame.
Not really 'cos it's pretty simple to unsuscribe, and if you want to play the game you have to pay so it's no different from going into EB and paying for a game then taking it back within the prescribed timeframe.

Reply #8 Posted: March 06, 2008, 03:21:42 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Downloading now.

Looking forward to giving this a go.

Reply #9 Posted: March 06, 2008, 07:02:12 pm

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
Its a pity I haven't got a working desktop, I'd been keen as to jump in and show you around.

Reply #10 Posted: March 06, 2008, 09:37:38 pm

Offline Invisty

• Addicted
  • Invisty has no influence.
Graphics are fail. I know they're "getting better" but even if the graphics were twice as good as last time I saw it, it would still be in the catagory of unbearable.

Reply #11 Posted: March 06, 2008, 09:56:08 pm

Offline Swampy_1

• I Posted!
  • Swampy_1 has no influence.
Hey foxy,long time no see.
Iv been playing ww2O off and on for awhile now.Probably the best fun iv ever had in a game.Graphics are mud but you don't really notice after awhile.Havn't played in about a year so don't know how things have improved.Might have to resign up and see.
P.S where are all the old -101- hanging out these days foxman?

Reply #12 Posted: March 08, 2008, 11:20:07 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Unless you have a fair bit of spare time, I'd avoid it.  Did some inf movements attacking a town, took me ten minutes to run there....

Reply #13 Posted: March 08, 2008, 11:32:43 am

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
Quote from: Swampy_1;672364
Hey foxy,long time no see.
Iv been playing ww2O off and on for awhile now.Probably the best fun iv ever had in a game.Graphics are mud but you don't really notice after awhile.Havn't played in about a year so don't know how things have improved.Might have to resign up and see.
P.S where are all the old -101- hanging out these days foxman?

Long time indeed! :)

Things have improved greatly in the last year and with luck they will continue to do so.

The old crew...not sure to be honest. Most are still scattered about the various forums here and there, bump into them every now and then heh.

Unless you have a fair bit of spare time, I'd avoid it. Did some inf movements attacking a town, took me ten minutes to run there....

Did you try asking for a ride? Did you check to see if there were any mobile spawns closer?
The game is a simulation so if you're after an action fix then you'd be best to look elsewhere.

I remember one instance where myself and Lapp crawled towards an enemy FB in order to spot the fall of shells from our tanks and artillery further back. It took us about 40 minutes real time to get to a position where we could provide feedback and we lasted all of about 1 minute before a frenchie capped us in the back.

On the other hand, battles around towns are often incredibly intense with multiple armour and infantry attacks from different directions, all while air support fights overhead. Plenty of AA and AT fire to keep people on their toes and when a Stuka finally slips through and lands a 500lb'der on the damn Matilda 2 that was guarding the armybase entrance...its pretty awesome. Manning the last remaning PaK38 in a town and trying to fend off an armoured column long enough for air support to arrive is a rather tense experience.

So if you are willing to be patient and learn how the game works then you'll be treated to some amazing battle pieces. Otherwise, stick to BF2 or CoD4 or whatever other spam shooter is the prefered one this month.

Reply #14 Posted: March 08, 2008, 05:04:49 pm

Offline Swampy_1

• I Posted!
I like it how it has a functional day/night cycle.
Used to love sneaking around in the dark placing satchel charges on tanks.:heheh:

Reply #15 Posted: March 08, 2008, 05:38:07 pm

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
Quote from: Foxman;672554
The old crew...not sure to be honest. Most are still scattered about the various forums here and there, bump into them every now and then heh.

I'm here! I still have my 0002 dogtags!

Reply #16 Posted: March 08, 2008, 05:53:31 pm

Offline Swampy_1

• I Posted!
:rnr:
How about loose-unit,tom,torn,legend,oh and hoover.lmfao:chuckle:

Reply #17 Posted: March 08, 2008, 06:11:42 pm

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
For a bit of reminiscence I went down to the spare room and took these photos for you foxy. Not sure who you are Swampy maybe you were post RTCW days, so missed out on the early days and Wellington roadtrip. Unless that's an alias :rnr:

Reply #18 Posted: March 08, 2008, 07:14:20 pm

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.

Reply #19 Posted: March 08, 2008, 07:14:52 pm

Offline Swampy_1

• I Posted!
yeah,joined up during the 42" era.

Reply #20 Posted: March 08, 2008, 07:43:14 pm

Offline Foxman

• Just settled in
Haha awesome stuff Temp!

I still have my old tags lying about here somewhere. Some good times had by all :)

Bozza is over in the UK now, as far as I know the others are still here though. Theo is still over in Hamilton, should be catching up with him at some point since I'm now in Tauranga. Will probably be up to Auckland at some point too, may have to have a drink for old times sake Temp :)

Reply #21 Posted: March 08, 2008, 10:08:56 pm

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
Of course mate you always have an open door policy here :D Poor old Bozza/Hoover, what number did he get? I still remember trying to revive him on Beach when I didn't know you could run out of needles. Never been a game as good as that since.

Reply #22 Posted: March 08, 2008, 11:50:17 pm

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Quote from: Foxman;672554

Did you try asking for a ride? Did you check to see if there were any mobile spawns closer?
The game is a simulation so if you're after an action fix then you'd be best to look elsewhere.

No one with vehicles were around, spawned at the closest mobile spawn, was playing with someone who played the "game"  the most enjoyable thing about it was spotting from inside an occupied town while elemunk strafed the armour and other Nazi shit in his Spitfire.

Reply #23 Posted: March 09, 2008, 01:41:05 am

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
temp, thats a really strange thing you have your dogtags hanging from lol

Reply #24 Posted: March 09, 2008, 03:36:30 am
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter