Topic: gaming underdogs

Offline Vonn Braun

• Devoted Member
  • Vonn Braun has no influence.
Quote from: Darklord
all those games vonn said are budget games made for crappy computers

What are you talking about man? Try getting Theif 3 to run with dynamic shadows on anything less than a 9800xt over 30fps then make a sensible statement. Secondly SS2 and NOLF 2 are some of the greatest overlooked but respected games ever made, while I mentioned Scrapland because to me it was a breath of fresh air, it wasn't a WW2 shooter or a zombie blast fest. The game reminded me of Spyro on the PSone with it's interesting enviroments, imaginative characters and the games scope, I mean it did a hell of a lot more than GTA with better graphics, flying around a huge futuristic city with hundreds of flying cars minding their own business and looking 10 million times better than GTA and without the gangster rap crap.

Reply #25 Posted: January 09, 2006, 02:51:13 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
  • Verrt has no influence.
Just ignore comments like that VB, not worth getting worked up out
you'll just get an ulcer

Reply #26 Posted: January 09, 2006, 07:02:01 pm

Offline Gumbi

• Devoted Member
  • Gumbi has no influence.
Gaming underdogs will never get anywhere, There either crap and dont sell of if there good they get brought out.

Reply #27 Posted: January 09, 2006, 08:48:42 pm

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
civilisation1, best game ever.

Reply #28 Posted: January 09, 2006, 10:05:11 pm

Offline `Dirty Heathen

• Addicted
  • `Dirty Heathen has no influence.
I guess at the end of the day its also what each indivaul is into, I myself got into online games because I got addicted to CS and really enjoyed FPS and online gaming.
Before that I used to only play console. The only PC game I used to play was heores and command and conquer red alert.

Its funny how much games have evolved some of you youngins may not remeber all the old systems but I do.
The games were so basic but they were so much fun.
One of my mates jst got heaps of old arcade games on his X-box and hole atari back cataluge they so much fun nothing fancy jst old school simple game play no high tech grahics but they are still so much fun.

That the problem with technology advancing so rapdily you just take new things for granted.
If you had shown me a game like BF2 when I was 10 years old I probly shit my self but it would have blown my mind and im only 28 but the gaming world has taken off and advanced so much  over the years. Just enjoy it I say.

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts of where the future of gaming will go.
Will it be like matrix styles one day and we plug into your rig and go into a virual world ahh who knows. I allways though one of those big rooms like in sci-fi where the whole room becomes your enviment hologram deck or whatever the trekys and shit call them

Reply #29 Posted: January 09, 2006, 11:19:06 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
Im thinking eventualy all games will be online constant worlds
and they will replace television once PCs and consolse and digital TV finaly finnish their slow process of merging into one

Reply #30 Posted: January 10, 2006, 01:01:52 am

Offline Heswe

• Addicted
  • Heswe has no influence.
Quote from: Verrt
Im thinking eventualy all games will be online constant worlds
and they will replace television once PCs and consolse and digital TV finaly finnish their slow process of merging into one

You beleive in fairys too dont you?

Eventually, like, in a very, very, VERY long time away perhaps, but not in the next 50 or even 100 years, mostlikely more. It would require a whole generation to get brought up on it before it would become really mainstream.

With that comment, does anyone wonder what the technology will be that we wont understand when we are senior citizens, and our grandkids have to teach us how to use it? I mean at the moment its pretty much PC's, but think about it.

Reply #31 Posted: January 10, 2006, 01:58:44 am
"One day people love you more than they\'ve ever loved anything in the world. And the next,
you\'re in front of a courthouse dancing on top of a car." - Dave Chapelle

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
whats NOLF?
system shock 2 was ok i found it totally frustrating that ammo was always sparse, and that the game prevented you from playing as a gun happy shoot it if it moves type... so never got that far into it.

game history is set in 1 man band game writers, BUT modern games are far more complex, and we consumers expect that complexity to develop further.

i played darwinia for about 30 seconds for some reason i get 5 seconds per frame max, and its rather crap to play ANY game like that. i suppose theres some setting or something but i only downlaoded the demo, CBF'ed fixing a demo to work, but it did put me off buying it.

Reply #32 Posted: January 10, 2006, 01:55:36 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
Quote from: Heswe
You beleive in fairys too dont you?

Eventually, like, in a very, very, VERY long time away perhaps, but not in the next 50 or even 100 years, mostlikely more. It would require a whole generation to get brought up on it before it would become really mainstream.

And yet someone mentioned pluging a computer straight into your brain and you didn't say a thing

I did say eventualy and I also said it was a slow process
But I see it as inevidable

Reply #33 Posted: January 10, 2006, 02:10:50 pm

Offline SLAYER!@#

• Addicted
  • SLAYER!@# has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart
whats NOLF?

No One Lives forever.... NOLF 2 certainty makes my list of favorite games.

Reply #34 Posted: January 10, 2006, 02:27:30 pm

Offline H3Lo

• Just settled in
  • H3Lo has no influence.
I don't think it will be 50 or 100 years. more like 10.

I played tv tennis and spaceys as a kid - why would the rate of change slow to 50 - 100 years?

I dislike mmorpg's because I like to own my fun and not pay and pay and pay

but - a mmorpg developer is most likely to enhance/improve/patch/adapt to player feedback if they still retain ownership over time - its in their best financial interest to.

I buy McSoftware - mainly coz then i own it, but I now expect it to have bugs and I expect to have to download patches and run user community mods and add-ons etc

I can play when I want, whine about it cose I bought it, place it on myself and know that I may never play it again, but happily its there if I ever do.

and so a regular Joe - I can't buy everything so I look for what I think are the good ones - something that will be fun playing. mostly that it games other pl are playing.

rearly do I enjoy a great game of Myst....some pl do..jus not me.

When I look for a game - the repuation of the development company has more and more to do with my choice I make. sure I joined the queue for BF2, but honestly, i think Dice do a goodish job. I could name worse.

the other thing which has amused me often is the whining in forums when a game turns out bad.

Developers often get paid to complete a scope - so if the scope doesn't not include a patch - its more the duty of the commining company to remedy the problem. its indictative of how credible they are if they screw up this in a contract.

basic bugs that are significant to the game role - unforgivable in my view, poor testing and software developement process. indicative of a newer team or cheaper job.

everyway as punters - we make our choices to get the best value for our money, while its the software vendors job to make the most profit.

Reply #35 Posted: January 10, 2006, 02:41:57 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: H3Lo
basic bugs that are significant to the game role - unforgivable in my view, poor testing and software developement process. indicative of a newer team or cheaper job.

That is so incredibly true, and with the 'advent'(thought Console Online Gaming has been around for quite a while)of the new Xbox live program, Im quite sure the Xbox 360 developers will be shoving out half-finished games by the truckload. Why? Because they can just patch it later!

Counter-Strike: Source(!!!!!) came out buggy as hell and STILL has some quite serious issues. Thank goodness it was free, had I had to pay for it I'd be incredibly annoyed.

On topic: I cant say that games are becoming less innovative, just less...varied

Reply #36 Posted: January 27, 2006, 06:09:42 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;100901
On topic: I cant say that games are becoming less innovative, just less...varied

Actually the former is applicable, there's plenty of variety now :)

Reply #37 Posted: January 26, 2013, 10:24:56 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Nostargate;1516105
Actually the former is applicable, there's plenty of variety now :)

Depends on the genre:

Like your FPS gritty, realistic, cover-based, two weapons, and without a health bar?

Reply #38 Posted: January 27, 2013, 04:28:47 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Magic heals.

"Medic, I've been shot!"
"Are you dead?"
"No..."
"Jog it off buddy."

Reply #39 Posted: January 27, 2013, 11:06:05 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: bloodyYOKEL-NZ;89177
Remember those Gigapets that everyone all wanted and adored back in the 1990's?

There is an utterly fascinating and free game you can play called Puzzle Monsters

http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/PuzzleMonsters/

It is a cross between Pokemon, Bejeweled, and Puzzle Bobble.

Reply #40 Posted: February 05, 2013, 10:28:42 pm