Topic: KONY 2012

Offline broncos

• Addicted
  • broncos has no influence.
^^^ this tbh why give money to africa everyday, everyyear..... all they do is feed people  who then reproduce, making the problem worse.........
and why should i care about uganda, i dont live there have no intetion of going there, so.........

Reply #25 Posted: March 08, 2012, 11:56:49 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Lets condemn children to war atrocities because their parents couldn't make do with a quick masty.

I'm also betting that the Catholic Church plays a big part over there, teaching them that you're not allowed to wank and you're not allowed to have sex unless a child is the result.
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:10:49 pm by Retardobot

Reply #26 Posted: March 08, 2012, 11:59:56 am

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
  • pablo d has no influence.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1473974
Catholic Church... you're not allowed to have sex unless a child is the result.

this

Reply #27 Posted: March 08, 2012, 12:06:08 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: RetardoBot;1473974
Catholic Church... you're not allowed to have sex unless it is with a child.

This.

Reply #28 Posted: March 08, 2012, 01:02:58 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: broncos;1473972
^^^ this tbh why give money to africa everyday, everyyear..... all they do is feed people  who then reproduce, making the problem worse.........
and why should i care about uganda, i dont live there have no intetion of going there, so.........

You realise this isn't about food right?
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:39:22 pm by Bell

Reply #29 Posted: March 08, 2012, 01:19:10 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: BerG;1473970
Where exactly do they say that your donations are going to starving African children? This isn't fucking UNICEF.

Their mission is publicity, so of course donations will be spent on travel and filming.

This also

And as far as the "I'm not feeding those kids because they will just have kids" attitude is concerned, you might be surprised to know that the majority of Aid work these days doesn't go into giving people a bag of rice etc.
It goes into capacity building, you know that whole "Teach a man to fish" thing.
The vast majority of those spouting that line like they are some fucking genius at solving world problems don't know the first thing about development work.
My girlfriend works in this industry and has worked on farming projects in PNG and is currently helping with womens empowerment, micro-finance and capacity building in Palestine.

She and all of her colleges don't go around giving out rice to people who can't feed themselves without providing a means to build the capacity to feed themselves.
The whole industry strives not to create those situations.
Africa isn't a wasteland with no food or water, infact there are many regions with very productive land and in many cases people within a country are starving while the country exports a vast amount of food product.
What some countries do have are corrupt governments, conflict and a lack of infrastructure and all of those things while very challenging are solvable.

Obviously this a very simplified summary but for people with views like Broncos that might be new information.
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:41:43 pm by Bell

Reply #30 Posted: March 08, 2012, 01:21:10 pm

Offline 5ynth3tic

• I Posted!
  • 5ynth3tic has no influence.
Africa should of stayed under the British Empire. If they had I believe that many of the problems in that part of the world would not exist.

Reply #31 Posted: March 08, 2012, 01:43:45 pm

We\'re all mad here

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Not really feasible considering the "British Empire" doesn't exist.

Reply #32 Posted: March 08, 2012, 01:48:49 pm

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
any way all politics aside made me give a fuck . normally i dont give a fuck . i dont think any child should be abducted into child slavery/militia .

Reply #33 Posted: March 08, 2012, 02:46:20 pm

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.
Sorry guys, but it looks like the leaders of invisible children aren't the saints you thought they were.  http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

Reply #34 Posted: March 08, 2012, 03:26:06 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Already read that and still support it.

In short.
Yes a lot of money doesn't go directly to children, that doesn't seem to be their objective, it's about raising awareness and providing political pressure.
I'm pretty solidly behind that idea, that fact that Gen Y seems to be more interested in Kony than Ipad 3 today is a good thing.

I support direct military intervention in certain cases, NZ is involved in military intervention in east-timor and that's a good thing.

We got into Afghanistan and Iraq and East Timor and tons of places to provide military intervention for our own interests all the time, Africa doesn't get jack shit attention most of the time so I'm comfortable with this, we aren't talking about sending in a full US force anyways they are talking about getting enough attention to keep US advisers in country and for the US to provide equipment which they are already doing.

Anyone can find something wrong with any aid organisation and write a blog about it, that doesn't mean its inherently wrong.
If facebook and these dudes had been around during the Rwandan genocide and the international community used military intervention things for the great lakes region could have turned out very differently.
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:47:08 pm by Bell

Reply #35 Posted: March 08, 2012, 03:57:05 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Bell is smart and well informed, I support what he supports.

Reply #36 Posted: March 08, 2012, 03:59:36 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
I should add I emailed my girlfriend with that link virus put up a few hours ago and asked for her and her co-workers opinions who all work in this field and are a shit-ton smarter and far more informed than me.
So i'll post her response when I get it.

Reply #37 Posted: March 08, 2012, 04:03:38 pm

Offline broncos

• Addicted
Cheers for the rep bell:  I saw the video , have a clue , just don't give a toss
About something that far away in a fkd up country..

Reply #38 Posted: March 08, 2012, 04:07:29 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Thanks for the valuable input.
Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:29:16 am by Bell

Reply #39 Posted: March 08, 2012, 04:16:21 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: broncos;1474027
Cheers for the rep bell:  I saw the video , have a clue , just don't give a toss

Top guy.

Reply #40 Posted: March 08, 2012, 04:31:01 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
Quote from: broncos;1474027

You're human and so are they, anyone who looks at it as 'they're X and I'm Y' are just generally shit people and they're the ones who should be born into Uganda. But they aren't, good/innocent people are just as bad people are, just like there are bad people in our good neighborhoods. You can choose which sport teams you support but you can't choose where you're born, and people shouldn't have to suffer because of idiots who think not being from your country means they aren't the same species as you.

Make sense?

Reply #41 Posted: March 08, 2012, 04:33:37 pm
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

Offline broncos

• Addicted
i understand that odball but i have enough irl to worry about , than something miles and miles away........... my opinion, which unless im mistaken we are allowed.....

Reply #42 Posted: March 08, 2012, 04:50:50 pm

Offline lrdz

• Just settled in
  • lrdz has no influence.

Reply #43 Posted: March 08, 2012, 05:24:16 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

Reply #44 Posted: March 08, 2012, 05:48:59 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Lyesalot

• Devoted Member
  • Lyesalot has no influence.
Good luck finding him in the big ass jungles! They have been trying for years already. The only way they will get him is by luck or a mass amount of troops.

I do support this though. Mostly because it's a warm feeling seeing so many people come together against something they dislike.

Reply #45 Posted: March 08, 2012, 05:50:01 pm
iM

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Virus.;1474016
Sorry guys, but it looks like the leaders of invisible children aren't the saints you thought they were.  http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

Someone posts a well made video -> These guys are saints.

Someone rebuts the video, with a well written blog -> these guys are criminals.

At the end of the day, the guys who made this video have exaggerated the truth, and as mentioned before not mentioned how much the effect of the LRA has reduced in the past years. But if pushing the truth is what it takes to stop a war criminal, I don't see the issue with it.

Also
http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

Probably the most interesting of the ones being thrown around. IN particular:
When I traveled into Southern Sudan, you could sense something was different there. There is a greedy spirit there that you can feel. Foreign aid had ruined South Sudan. People do not want to work, they want handouts. An entire generation has been cared for by the UN and other NGO’s. They are fed, clothed, protected, and sent to school without having to do anything. I walked through the market there and saw UNICEF tarps and blankets for sale. I could also buy Samaritan’s Purse shoe-boxes, filled with all sorts of American goodies. I thought back how I thought it was a good idea for me to send a shoebox filled with soap, toothpaste, bouncy balls, and a washcloth to a faraway land. What I realize now is that sending things, whether money, objects, or people to a place that I have no information on is a bad idea.

The problems that Uganda faces today cannot be fixed by hundreds of uneducated Westerners going there to “help”. As you read this article, think about how much you really know about the political situations in Uganda and throughout Africa that contribute to long lasting problems.

Africa as a whole needs to break free from foreign aid. Almost half of Uganda’s yearly budget is made up of foreign aid. I think that many of Uganda’s problems stem from its reliance on foreign support. If you want to read more on that, check out a Ugandan journalist named Andrew Mwenda. The aid to African nations is increasing the corruption there and encouraging these nations to continue this dependence on foreign nations and it does not encourage them to become totally self sufficient. When asked what rich nations should do to help Africa, Mwenda said,
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:08:07 pm by toofast

Reply #46 Posted: March 08, 2012, 05:55:55 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Good read toofast cheers.

Reply #47 Posted: March 08, 2012, 06:51:38 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
I think we should take IC as a warning before someone much worse exploits the power of the internet.

Reply #48 Posted: March 08, 2012, 07:57:07 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
I know absolutely nothing about this, but at the start of that video he talks about peace, then at the end of it he talks about funding the Uganda army to attack Kony's army??

Reply #49 Posted: March 08, 2012, 07:58:02 pm