Poll

Should marijuana be decriminalised or legalised?

No
14 (20%)
Decriminalised
28 (40%)
Legalised
28 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Topic: Decriminalisation of marijuana

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: th3fairy;1495349
Me too - for most its just a phase but there are some that get trapped into the smoking on hay lifestyle - its what the wannabe gangstas etc show you stoners are.  I hope they grow out of it soon.

Seriously Watch What if Cannabis Cured Cancer then continue this conversation - it really is a great watch

A lot of conjecture aka 'Guess work', but quite an interesting watch.

Reply #175 Posted: July 24, 2012, 09:54:10 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Quote from: th3fairy;1495349
Nobody dies from marijuana use.

That's quite a bold statement, it's possible that some deaths have had either cannabis involved as a factor or cause but were attributed to something else. E.g. Impaired driving through heavy cannabis usage before/while driving. Cause of death may still be certified as Motor Vehicle Crash.

Where did this information come from fairy?

However, there's no denying that alcohol abuse costs us a hellova lot.

Such as here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7334460/Twins-birthday-bash-turns-to-chaos/

(I lol'd at the quote "My mate's missus got shot with rubber bullets." Where do you think you are? Northern Ireland?)

Reply #176 Posted: July 24, 2012, 01:03:19 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Alcohol has major social issues.

However, I don't agree with emphasing the negatives of one substance in order to make another one look better by comparison. This doesn't really achieve anything useful.

Cannabis has medical benefits, those are what need to be promoted.

Reply #177 Posted: July 24, 2012, 01:56:48 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Pitchey;1495440
That's quite a bold statement, it's possible that some deaths have had either cannabis involved as a factor or cause but were attributed to something else. E.g. Impaired driving through heavy cannabis usage before/while driving. Cause of death may still be certified as Motor Vehicle Crash.

Where did this information come from fairy?

However, there's no denying that alcohol abuse costs us a hellova lot.

Such as here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7334460/Twins-birthday-bash-turns-to-chaos/

(I lol'd at the quote "My mate's missus got shot with rubber bullets." Where do you think you are? Northern Ireland?)

I think she probably means nobody has died directly, whereas people die from alcohol overdose/withdrawal relatively frequently.

Reply #178 Posted: July 24, 2012, 04:03:59 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline timmo

• Just settled in
  • timmo has no influence.
Absolute low of the low NZ Police. Really low. Really super sh*tty low. Entrap this guy who was genuinely trying to help this douche of a police man posing as someone with an ailment he didn't have...and then bust them.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/7622721/Judge-dismisses-drug-plea

Reply #179 Posted: September 07, 2012, 06:41:50 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/7622721/Judge-dismisses-drug-plea

Boo hoo, if you want it to be legal, start the process!

Write to your MP, have folks sign petitions, crying about an undercover cop doing his job ain't gonna help except make you look whiney.

Reply #180 Posted: September 07, 2012, 10:50:04 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
You have to admit, police whine about their workload & wasted resources in dealing with weed, but undercover officers for a small time 1 man bust. It's like getting the armed offenders squad to bust kids for graffitti.

Reply #181 Posted: September 07, 2012, 11:03:52 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Patients piping up about the chronic illnesses ruining their buzz. Doctors blazing new trails in medicinal marijuana

Reply #182 Posted: March 19, 2013, 10:49:58 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

I have to admit. I found this article quite funny
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/9824183/Fewer-stoned-at-work
A lower percentage of New Zealanders tested at work last year were found with traces of illegal drugs in their system.

Private drug testing company New Zealand Drug Detection Agency (NZDDA) conducted 81,410 tests for drugs in New Zealand workplaces during 2013, with 5.5 per cent returning a non-negative test.

This was down on 6.4 per cent in 2012 when 68,346 tests were done.

A non-negative test means a drug was found in the person's urine and still had to be confirmed by an accredited laboratory for confirmation testing.

The most commonly detected drug was cannabis, with 71 per cent of all non-negative tests indicating its presence.

NZDDA chief executive Chris Hilson said it was pleasing to see a drop in the number of non-negative results.

"We believe this can be attributed to a number of factors including an increase in employee awareness regarding the dangers of drug and alcohol use in the workplace, and also understanding the potential for serious or fatal accidents," Hilson said.

"Also more random testing is a major deterrent factor within the workplace."

Cannabis was detected most frequently in "traditional" cannabis-growing areas such as Northland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and the North Island's East Cape, Hilson said.

Synthetic cannabis was tested for, for the first time this year.

They should randomly drug test Parliament staff, and by 'random' I mean 'continually. We may have our own Rob Ford hiding in the Beehive somewhere

Reply #183 Posted: March 13, 2014, 02:31:40 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

There is some interesting information about the subject of Drug taking and Legal Drugs on the Legal Highs NZ webpage. Yeah, I didnt know such a thing existed either
http://www.legalhighs.co.nz/synthetic-cannabis/when-should-i-stop-smoking-legal-highs/2014
So, how much is too much when it comes to smoking synthetic cannabis or taking legal highs?
Well the answer is pretty simple, if you are smoking EVERY DAY then you must question WHY?

What are your reasons for smoking every day?

If you answer YES to any of these questions below, it’s time to seek assistance or take a break from any drugs.

Do you take drugs including legal weed every day to feel normal?
Do you take drugs including legal weed every day to help you sleep?
Do you take drugs including legal weed every day to help you feel happy?
If you have answered YES to ANY of those three questions, then you MUST reassess your usage patterns.

Reply #184 Posted: March 22, 2014, 08:53:34 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
I have to admit. I found this article quite funny
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/9824183/Fewer-stoned-at-work
A lower percentage of New Zealanders tested at work last year were found with traces of illegal drugs in their system.

Private drug testing company New Zealand Drug Detection Agency (NZDDA) conducted 81,410 tests for drugs in New Zealand workplaces during 2013, with 5.5 per cent returning a non-negative test.

This was down on 6.4 per cent in 2012 when 68,346 tests were done.

A non-negative test means a drug was found in the person's urine and still had to be confirmed by an accredited laboratory for confirmation testing.

The most commonly detected drug was cannabis, with 71 per cent of all non-negative tests indicating its presence.

NZDDA chief executive Chris Hilson said it was pleasing to see a drop in the number of non-negative results.

"We believe this can be attributed to a number of factors including an increase in employee awareness regarding the dangers of drug and alcohol use in the workplace, and also understanding the potential for serious or fatal accidents," Hilson said.

"Also more random testing is a major deterrent factor within the workplace."

Cannabis was detected most frequently in "traditional" cannabis-growing areas such as Northland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and the North Island's East Cape, Hilson said.

Synthetic cannabis was tested for, for the first time this year.

They should randomly drug test Parliament staff, and by 'random' I mean 'continually. We may have our own Rob Ford hiding in the Beehive somewhere

Something to do with eating should be added to the list, or to feel "fine", in regards to being sick.

So many people take these and become addicted, then when they try to stop, their body makes them throw up and they lose all sense of hunger.

The idea of synthetic cannabanoids is great. You can't get drug tested, to have a nights worth of fun, which you can act responsibly, and by the end of the night, That's the end of it.

But synthetics, as they are, are nothing like that. While most feel fine on them, I for one, felt extremely sick (panic attacks, vomiting, major paranoia) after my 3rd time on them. And yes, that was just an experience that i've had, but I chose not to do them. The people that continued to do them, realised that enough was never enough. From doing a small hit on the first night, to going through a bag a night (2 grams for 20$), to smoking more than 2 grams/bags... I think the stuff would be fine in SERIOUS moderation, but as I see hundreds of people buying this stuff every week, I just know that no one does do it in moderation.

I don't even have a point to make, I'm just drunk and throwing my shit down, yo.
Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:20:00 am by `Kayne

Reply #185 Posted: March 23, 2014, 01:17:11 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/why-medias-fearmongering-marijuana-effects-brain-faulty
Why the Media's Fearmongering on Marijuana Effects on the Brain Is Faulty
The mainstream media launched into a reefer mad frenzy this week after researchers from Harvard University in Boston and Northwestern University in Chicago published the results of a neuroimaging study assessing the brains of a small cohort of regular marijuana smokers and non-users. The brain scans identified various differences between the two groups in three aspects of brain morphometry: gray matter density, volume, and shape. These differences triggered dozens of high-profile media outlets to lose their collective minds. Here’s just a sample of the screaming headlines:

CNN: Casual marijuana use may damage your brain; Science Daily: More joints equal more damage; Financial Post: Study proves occasional marijuana use is mind altering; Time: Recreational pot use harmful to young people’s brains; Smoking cannabis will change you. That’s not a risk, its a certainty.

Reply #186 Posted: April 19, 2014, 08:51:33 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Shit study. Of course, half the problem is that while any jackass can get enough weed to blaze up, scientists have had to jump through so many hoops it's not been practical to run studies like this. And fuck anything interesting with anything harder than weed (unless it has military applications of course). Hopefully over time enough studies will be run that there will be some with half decent methadologies and then we can get some fucking shit did.

Reply #187 Posted: April 20, 2014, 01:42:46 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Tiwaking!

So it looks like the sale of synthetic cannabis will soon be illegal. It is amazing that $2 of fake electric puha can turn into $20, like magic

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/legal-high-makers-turned-1000-profit-5958399
The legal-high industry made massive multimillion-dollar profits during the Government's brief fling with regulation.

In a rare insight into the legal-high industry, the Ministry of Health estimates the industry was making a 1000% profit on every packet of synthetic cannabis sold.

Chemicals were imported in bulk from China, processed into synthetic cannabis for about $2 a packet and sold for $20.

Since the Government set up the regulated market in July last year, it is estimated that 3.5 million packets of synthetic cannabis were sold in New Zealand.

Ministry officials have said the sheer scale of the industry caught them by surprise. With estimated sales of about $140m a year, it dwarfed the BZP party pill craze at its height a decade ago.

As of a minute past midnight this morning, interim licences for all legal highs were revoked, making it illegal to possess, supply or manufacture the drugs.

The amendment passed on Tuesday night marks a U-turn for Parliament, which voted only last year to set up a regulated market for the drugs, licensing the industry and giving health authorities the power to pull unsafe products.

The U-turn was praised in many communities affected by synthetic cannabis, but others have condemned it as a knee-jerk political reaction in an election year.

However I was more interested in this statistic they mentioned:
Even the Ministry of Health has warned that banning legal highs outright will push the products underground into the unregulated black market. It has estimated between 150 and 200 people are now so addicted to synthetic cannabis that they would need medical help to withdraw. "People who use these products are expected to stockpile them for their own personal use and the black market is assumed to stockpile to supply future demand," ministry officials said.

150 people * $20 = $3000
Im in the wrong business. Exploiting people is where its at

Reply #188 Posted: May 08, 2014, 08:34:23 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Stores were selling legal highs at 5$ a pack in bulk, or 8 in a slightly smaller bulk.

Something like 400$ for 50packs or 500$ for 100packs.

People are crazy addicted to synthetics and it's going to be interesting  to see if there is a rise in violent crimes in the next week or two.

I'd also like to know, the people that are addicted, will they bother trying to cut back? Everyone builds up a tolerance to synthetic highs quite fast, which also gives some misconception to the whole "he smokes a pack (synthetic) a day".

Reply #189 Posted: May 08, 2014, 04:23:47 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

Guy calls bullshit on the police report claiming Cannabis was causing 2000 hospital admissions a year costing more than $30 million. Turns out to be bullshit.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/78486729/how-an-unemployed-westie-discredited-a-key-police-report-on-cannabis
How an unemployed Westie discredited a key police report on cannabis
Its author, NDIB strategic drug analyst Les Maxwell, painted a grim picture of New Zealand's most popular drug: cannabis was an "increasing threat" because it was getting stronger and was a "gateway" drug for young people.

But it was the number of people who were ending up in hospital, according to the report, that caught the media's eye.

"Perhaps surprisingly," Maxwell wrote, "cannabis related hospital admissions between 2001 and 2005 exceeded admissions for opiates, amphetamines and cocaine combined", with about 2000 people a year ending up in hospital because of the drug.

The report put cannabis admissions into two categories: primary and secondary diagnosis. Primary diagnosis cases had tracked between 210 and 250 a year, while secondary cases ranged between 1799 and 2012 a year.

I wish I was a strategic drug analyst. That sounds like a primo job.

Reply #190 Posted: April 17, 2016, 05:12:33 pm