Topic: Spacemonkey's Space thread about Space stuff.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Astronomers have taken of photo of the smallest exo-planet to date, a gas giant 4 times larger the Jupiter. GJ 504b lies 57 light-years away.

http://www.space.com/22265-small-alien-planet-direct-photo.html

Posted: August 07, 2013, 10:21:15 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I am subscribed to this thread. I expect daily updates on all space news.

Reply #1 Posted: August 07, 2013, 10:36:33 am

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
[h=2]The sun’s magnetic field is about to flip[/h][/FONT][/COLOR]
Something big is about to happen on the sun. According to measurements from NASA-supported observatories, the sun’s vast magnetic field is about to flip.
“It looks like we’re no more than 3 to 4 months away from a complete field reversal,” says solar physicist Todd Hoeksema of Stanford University. “This change will have ripple effects throughout the solar system.”The sun’s magnetic field changes polarity approximately every 11 years. It happens at the peak of each solar cycle as the sun’s inner magnetic dynamo re-organizes itself. The coming reversal will mark the midpoint of Solar Cycle 24. Half of ‘Solar Max’ will be behind us, with half yet to come.Hoeksema is the director of Stanford’s Wilcox Solar Observatory, one of the few observatories in the world that monitor the sun’s polar magnetic fields. The poles are a herald of change. Just as Earth scientists watch our planet’s polar regions for signs of climate change, solar physicists do the same thing for the sun. Magnetograms at Wilcox have been tracking the sun’s polar magnetism since 1976, and they have recorded three grand reversals—with a fourth in the offing.

[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]http://earthsky.org/science-wire/the-suns-magnetic-field-is-about-to-flip

Reply #2 Posted: August 07, 2013, 11:09:44 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: deadmeatwalking;1529654
The sun’s magnetic field is about to flip

The last time that happened, all the Dinosaurs had died.

Reply #3 Posted: August 07, 2013, 12:51:38 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Same thing happens every time you change your avatar.

Another species goes extinct.

Reply #4 Posted: August 07, 2013, 03:58:17 pm

Quote from: Zarkov;1529659
Same thing happens every time you change your avatar.

Another species goes extinct.

It will be cats next.

Reply #5 Posted: August 07, 2013, 04:14:23 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
How big's Uranus?

Reply #6 Posted: August 07, 2013, 04:50:19 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Quote from: Growler;1529662
How big's Uranus?

Uranus is so big, it achieved nuclear fusion and now we have two suns.

Reply #7 Posted: August 07, 2013, 05:11:59 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

Reply #8 Posted: August 07, 2013, 05:18:48 pm

Reply #9 Posted: August 07, 2013, 05:26:54 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: Growler;1529662
How big's Uranus?

Uranus has a radius of 25,362 km.

The planet's pretty big as well.

Reply #10 Posted: August 08, 2013, 10:46:04 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Meteor shower that will last from 50 hours to 100 hours will start on the 10th of August.

I have not bothered to see if that's the 11th for us, or not.

Look at the sky on Sunday night, at least.

Reply #11 Posted: August 10, 2013, 04:36:56 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
I saw some hipster type instagrammy photo with text on it that said that. I don't know if we will be able to see it here, what part of the sky should be looked at?

spaceape, find out.

Reply #12 Posted: August 10, 2013, 05:02:58 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: mycoolcar;1529784
I saw some hipster type instagrammy photo with text on it that said that. I don't know if we will be able to see it here, what part of the sky should be looked at?

spaceape, find out.

It's apparently meant to be seen world wide

As for where, I have no clue :D

Reply #13 Posted: August 10, 2013, 05:25:23 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:12:52 pm by Zarkov

Reply #14 Posted: August 10, 2013, 06:05:50 pm

This weeks Space news is not about space.

Super awesome billionaire Elon Musk, creator of the Tesla electric car, and big rockets. Has plans to make a high speed Hyperloop, which will transport people from LA to San Francisco (but not back to LA, cause no one wants to go back to LA), in less then 30 minutes at the speed of 966 km/h.

He will reveal more about it tomorrow.

Elon Musk, standing in front of a huge rocket.

Reply #15 Posted: August 12, 2013, 09:56:45 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Holy shit, this sounds amazing.

I'm more looking forward to tomorrow than I would be for an Apple product launch.

Reply #16 Posted: August 12, 2013, 11:21:23 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I have no idea what most of this means but it sounds awesome and I want one.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/08/perfect-optical-lens/2/

Reply #17 Posted: August 13, 2013, 12:54:23 am

Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:56:03 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #18 Posted: August 13, 2013, 08:26:43 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1529860

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/hyperloop

I saw his Thing

I have seen bigger

I am not impressed.

Reply #19 Posted: August 13, 2013, 09:08:21 am

Trying to download the pdf, but no luck so far, site must be overloaded.

Reply #20 Posted: August 13, 2013, 09:20:50 am

It's a low pressure tube thing on pylons.

Reply #21 Posted: August 13, 2013, 09:50:53 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Is that solar panels along the top of it?

They need to build this shit right now.

Reply #22 Posted: August 13, 2013, 12:52:51 pm

Quote from: BerG;1529869
Is that solar panels along the top of it?

They need to build this shit right now.

Yes, The solar panels on the top would generate more power then is required to run the system.

The distance between LA and San Francisco is around 350 miles, about the distance between Auckland and Palmerston North.

Reply #23 Posted: August 13, 2013, 12:58:05 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Elon Musk's executive statement at the start of the pdf report is fuckin' awesome.

Highlights:

When the California “high speed” rail was approved, I was quite disappointed, as I know many others were too. How could it be that the home of Silicon Valley and JPL – doing incredible things like indexing all the world’s knowledge and putting rovers on Mars – would build a bullet train that is both one of the most expensive per mile and one of the slowest in the world? Note, I am hedging my statement slightly by saying “one of”. The head of the California high speed rail project called me to complain that it wasn’t the very slowest bullet train nor the very most expensive per mile.

The pods and linear motors are relatively minor expenses compared to the tube itself – several hundred million dollars at most, compared with several billion dollars for the tube. Even several billion is a low number when compared with several tens of billion proposed for the track of the California rail project.

I'll have a read over the rest of the report in the holidays (I have about 15 FSAE/IEEE reports on ECU's and data aquisition systems to read first)
Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:01:26 pm by Bounty Hunter

Reply #24 Posted: August 13, 2013, 01:54:31 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K