Topic: Help stop Broadband costs from skyrocketing

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
http://www.becounted.org.nz/

If you haven't already, sign this. Help stop the cost of a DSL connection going up hundreds of dollars a year, and that money going straight into the pockets of greedy Chorus shareholders.

Posted: July 01, 2015, 09:24:01 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Signed.

Reply #1 Posted: July 01, 2015, 09:44:04 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
I think Chorus needs more money, can I anti sign it?

Reply #2 Posted: July 01, 2015, 09:49:49 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I think Chorus needs more money, can I anti sign it?

No, but I'll come steal your Chorus shares later :-P

Reply #3 Posted: July 01, 2015, 10:54:09 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
So is now a good time to buy Chorus shares?

Reply #4 Posted: July 01, 2015, 11:01:03 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
http://www.becounted.org.nz/

If you haven't already, sign this. Help stop the cost of a DSL connection going up hundreds of dollars a year, and that money going straight into the pockets of greedy Chorus shareholders.

Wait, wait, wait...

This website is created by Spark

Spark, aka Telecom

Telecom, which Chorus was part of.

What's going on here?

Reply #5 Posted: July 01, 2015, 11:05:36 am

For those interested in some background info around this.

http://www.comcom.govt.nz/the-commission/media-centre/media-releases/detail/2014/commission-releases-draft-decisions-on-prices-of-copper-lines-and-broadband-service-for-consultation

http://www.comcom.govt.nz/regulated-industries/telecommunications/regulated-services/standard-terms-determinations/unbundled-copper-local-loop-and-unbundled-bitstream-access-services-final-pricing-principle/

Have a look at some of the submissions, from the ISP's and Chorus themselves. Some interesting stuff there.

I don't understand Sparks position on this, they're saying the commission needs to justify the cost increase. No, Chorus need to justify the cost increase, they are the ones wanting it. The commission just sits in-between and makes sure the proper rules are followed, and it looks like they are being very transparent about it all.

Considering Chorus was once part of Spark (aka Telecom), it seams like a big conflict of interest.

Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:35:21 am by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #6 Posted: July 01, 2015, 11:32:03 am

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
So do i sign or not monkey?

Reply #7 Posted: July 01, 2015, 11:50:46 am

So do i sign or not monkey?

I don't know.

The point of the commission is to make sure a fair price is set, and they use other countries as a comparison. It looks like they are doing just that. And there's plenty of documentation to explain how they have worked out that price.

Chorus want a high price so they can make more money, ISP's want a low price, so they don't have to pay Chorus so much and keep more of the money for themselves.

This petition by spark seams to me more like a publicity stunt, make themselves look better by pretending they are on our side.
Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:34:52 pm by Plain old Spacemonkey

Reply #8 Posted: July 01, 2015, 12:11:38 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
This is interesting..
The once monopolist is now playing victim, nice marketing..

Reply #9 Posted: July 01, 2015, 12:15:49 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Sparking some debate in the industry.

Spoiler :
PAHHH. I'm here all night.

Reply #10 Posted: July 01, 2015, 12:30:10 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
don't care have fibre

Reply #11 Posted: July 01, 2015, 01:07:46 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I hate the web layout
I hate spark
Work pays for my VDSL so don't care

(if anyone can find me a website that actually has some factual content instead of bright colours and flashy lines, then I may change my mind)

Reply #12 Posted: July 01, 2015, 03:58:41 pm

Offline Xenolightning

(if anyone can find me a website that actually has some factual content instead of bright colours and flashy lines, then I may change my mind)

www.wikipedia.com

Reply #13 Posted: July 01, 2015, 04:02:55 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Most of the raging douchebaggerry that was old Telecom went to Chorus in the split. Chorus got all the monopoly assets, and the old mentality. I wanted to not like Spark for the longest time, but honestly 90% of the douchebag went to Chorus, it's pretty unfair to compare Spark to old Telecom
Spark and Chorus stopped being friends quite awhile back, when Spark realise what apack of douches Chorus is.
Spark do have self interest, in that they based their pricing on an expectation of the ComCom setting the price at a certain level, and if they ComCom sets it higher and orders back payment (which is a possibility), it will hurt them in the wallet.
I'm not on DSL myself, but the vast majority of internet users in NZ are, and if the ComCom does raise prices those consumers are the ones who will get fucked at the end of the day, the ISP's will all raise prices, not take a financial hit themselves.
Chorus shareholders will laugh all the way to the bank, and the main reason the ComCom is doing this is because Chorus had a massive waaaah to the government and basically threatened to pull the plug on UFB if they weren't allowed to make massive profits, and the government put massive pressure on the ComCom to pull its head in.

Reply #14 Posted: July 01, 2015, 05:44:25 pm

Reply #15 Posted: July 02, 2015, 10:45:35 am

Offline Xenolightning

Stop using Copper. Dig it up. Melt it down. YELLING TIMBERRRR. Wut.

Reply #16 Posted: July 02, 2015, 10:59:36 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Copper is almost as good as iron for smithing weapons and armor.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Copper

Reply #17 Posted: July 02, 2015, 11:02:50 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
I have a weird obsession with copper.

It's so beautiful. I'm not joking when I say I could stare at it all day.

There is just something about it when it shines.

One day I will marry a copper woman. I'm also considering selling everything and just buying copper bullions.

I shouldn't work with the stuff. I'll end up sticking something where I shouldn't.

* After looking around a bit, turns out there is quite a bit of copper bars, bullions and rounds (coins).

Anyone here do this kind of thing or am I just becoming too weird to be around normal people
Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:30:45 am by `Kayne

Reply #18 Posted: July 02, 2015, 06:16:57 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Most of the raging douchebaggerry that was old Telecom went to Chorus in the split. Chorus got all the monopoly assets, and the old mentality. I wanted to not like Spark for the longest time, but honestly 90% of the douchebag went to Chorus, it's pretty unfair to compare Spark to old Telecom
Spark and Chorus stopped being friends quite awhile back, when Spark realise what apack of douches Chorus is.
Spark do have self interest, in that they based their pricing on an expectation of the ComCom setting the price at a certain level, and if they ComCom sets it higher and orders back payment (which is a possibility), it will hurt them in the wallet.
I'm not on DSL myself, but the vast majority of internet users in NZ are, and if the ComCom does raise prices those consumers are the ones who will get fucked at the end of the day, the ISP's will all raise prices, not take a financial hit themselves.
Chorus shareholders will laugh all the way to the bank, and the main reason the ComCom is doing this is because Chorus had a massive waaaah to the government and basically threatened to pull the plug on UFB if they weren't allowed to make massive profits, and the government put massive pressure on the ComCom to pull its head in.
Just say no

Reply #19 Posted: March 04, 2016, 06:29:28 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Have they skyrocketed yet?

Getting Fibre installed on our street this month.

Reply #20 Posted: March 07, 2016, 07:58:55 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I like being on non-chorus fibre with a local ISP that only offers fibre and wireless plans, because they aren't affected at all by this, and my price hasn't changed

Reply #21 Posted: March 07, 2016, 11:02:40 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I'm guessing your monthly bill is already high enough.

Reply #22 Posted: March 08, 2016, 03:16:49 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
I'm guessing your monthly bill is already high enough.

$99
200 down, 100 up, phone line included

Reply #23 Posted: March 09, 2016, 10:49:42 am

Offline David

• I Posted!
  • David has no influence.
I would have signed it.. but I'm American

Reply #24 Posted: May 15, 2016, 03:13:22 am
~David, your friendly neighborhood human~
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.