Topic: What's in your kit?

Offline flyingpuffin

• I Posted!
  • flyingpuffin has no influence.
Interested to know what you other photog's take around with you. I just recently got a Canon 600D (dual lens kit) and a couple of Yongnuo 565ex speedlights. It's not a bad little kit! Currently saving for some decent glass though.

Posted: January 17, 2013, 11:29:44 am

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
is that what you only carry with you when your out and about or what you have in total?

Reply #1 Posted: January 17, 2013, 02:23:04 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
99% of the time I'm out and about I just take my 600D with 50mm 1.8 attached. If I'm planning a specific shoot/style I'll either take my wide or zoom len/s and maybe my tripod.
I don't have an external flash yet.

Reply #2 Posted: January 17, 2013, 02:36:36 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Always got my 8-16, 50, 15-105 at all times, rest of the stuff needs planning for size.

Reply #3 Posted: January 17, 2013, 02:39:36 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
I have some stuff ... sorry, what i wrote was way too intimidating
Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:17:38 pm by deadmeatwalking

Reply #4 Posted: January 17, 2013, 03:13:40 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
+ backdrops (around 12 now lol) softboxes and reflectors and radio popper triggers ect

Reply #5 Posted: January 17, 2013, 03:16:18 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Hey DM, need to show us the macro ext tube you made?

Reply #6 Posted: January 17, 2013, 03:41:43 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
haha sure bro ... nothing special tho

Reply #7 Posted: January 17, 2013, 03:48:37 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/IMG_0088_zps53109cd7.jpg
What's in your kit?
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/IMG_0089_zpsdea75f5b.jpg
What's in your kit?
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/IMG_0092_zps7aff1393.jpg
What's in your kit?
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/IMG_0095_zpsbe1fe9ac.jpg
What's in your kit?
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/IMG_0096_zpse6ed600d.jpg
What's in your kit?

Reply #8 Posted: January 17, 2013, 04:08:20 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: deadmeatwalking;1515058
same here Sigma 10-20 Tamron28-80 and  Tamron 70-300 and 50mm f1.4 if im out and about but if im off to a motorsports event ill take my 400 f5.6L and 580exII, in the studio i use 2x Elinchrom 1250w strobes and a Bowens 500w strobe with a beauty lamp as back light and 2 x 800w continious redhead halogen lamps (not all at the same time) depends on what im shooting [h=3][/h]

Way to intimidate everyone else.

Reply #9 Posted: January 17, 2013, 04:09:45 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
aint too pretty but does the job ... works with pretty much any lens

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/macros_10_zps449a67b9.jpg
What's in your kit?

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/IMG_0099_zps1722b1d7.jpg
What's in your kit?

this is the screw in previous shot
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/lsdesignsnz/macros_2_zpsce9f5851.jpg
What's in your kit?

Reply #10 Posted: January 17, 2013, 04:14:18 pm

Offline flyingpuffin

• I Posted!
^ Very cool I have some Kenko extension tubes purely so I still have the electronics of the lens working too.

As far as when I'm out and about usually just take the particular lens I need for the day.

Reply #11 Posted: January 17, 2013, 05:17:27 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
yeah i thought about wiring this up so the lens would still work but autofocus is not your friend with macro shots and using a high Fstop makes your shots dof wafer thin so you need to be shooting at around F11 or lower .. there is a way of tricking the lens and that's to set the F-stop in manual then take a shot and remove the lens which freezes the aperture at what you set it at :)

Reply #12 Posted: January 17, 2013, 05:26:46 pm

Offline flyingpuffin

• I Posted!
That's awesome! Yeah autofocus is completely useless with macro, you have it right there. What technique do you use for focusing when doing macro? I generally use the Kenko's and my 55-250. I move the camera body/lens closer or further from subject then use the zoom to get my initial focus and then the focus ring to get it "bang on".

Reply #13 Posted: January 18, 2013, 10:32:31 am

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
same as you ... just move body to suit and then adjust focus ring to fine tune ... most of the time ill shoot in live view as bracketing a subject allows 10x magnification on the lcd so can focus precisely.

Reply #14 Posted: January 18, 2013, 10:41:32 am

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
All of this nerd talk is making me hard.

Reply #15 Posted: January 18, 2013, 12:43:18 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
So the tube is just a tube that make any lens into a makkro one? Seems interesting.

As for me, what I carry depends where I am going and what I am doing. But normally have the 18-55 sony kit lens, or 18-200mm with me, along with 50mm 1.4 and 11-18mm tamaron. Erm, so pretty much everything I have.

Reply #16 Posted: January 18, 2013, 04:18:06 pm

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
yeah it works like a magnifying glass ... the further away you move your eye the larger the object gets ... but the closer you have to get the magnifying glass to the object to make it clear, Where a macro lens uses several convex / concave lenses to enlarge an object

Reply #17 Posted: January 18, 2013, 09:29:42 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I've been travelling a lot so I just rock around with a 550D + canon 18-200 it fits in one small camera bag and covers all the ranges I need.
I've got a f1.8 50mm with me too but barely ever use it.

Reply #18 Posted: January 22, 2013, 02:18:53 am

Offline Postal2

• I Posted!
  • Postal2 has no influence.
It was my B'day the other day so I got myself a Battery Vertical Grip
so now I can take lots more photos
and when my Canon battery's go flat I can stick in 6x AA to keen me going
also got a Macro Extension Tube Set.
I've only had it 1 day and love it, so mush fun seeing what I can get a good close shot of.

You can see the ink on the paper

Full size image: http://www.mediafire.com/view/3k7qg9ss3t3y1x9/Macro_with_Extension_Tube_Set.jpg

My first good Image

Full size image: http://www.mediafire.com/view/8z1q9m113bbc5zc/Focus_B%26W.jpg

Reply #19 Posted: July 18, 2013, 06:38:33 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
I really need to have a decent play with my extension rings.

Reply #20 Posted: July 18, 2013, 08:14:44 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
Go easy at first MCC, I've seen some ugly results if you rush it. :)

Reply #21 Posted: July 18, 2013, 10:04:42 pm

Offline Postal2

• I Posted!
  • Postal2 has no influence.
I've just found that if I want a lower aperture (higher number) or just to set the aperture
I need to set it at what I want and hold down the depth of field preview button while I take the lens off then fit the macro tubes.
Hand little bit of info to know
This is a Thread in a cube corner

Reply #22 Posted: July 19, 2013, 10:40:02 am

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Quote from: Postal2;1528737
I've just found that if I want a lower aperture (higher number) or just to set the aperture
I need to set it at what I want and hold down the depth of field preview button while I take the lens off then fit the macro tubes.
Hand little bit of info to know

Sadly sony lenses don't do this :(

Reply #23 Posted: July 19, 2013, 05:26:37 pm

Offline bigROBOTbill

• Addicted
  • bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.bigROBOTbill has a powerful will.
You can focus stack by taking a series of photos as you change the focus point from near to far. Can be done by hand if you try not to move too much sideways, change the focus by moving to and fro. Best set to manual to keep the exposures the same. Best results for me is to choose the files in Bridge, tools , Photoshop, load files into photoshop layers. Then I have a look at each one to see if I need them all, discard any real blurry ones. Select all the layers, go edit, auto-align layers, then edit, auto blend layers choose stack and tick both boxes.

You only need to do the lens trick for manual extension tubes, if you buy auto ones you get full control and focus feedback. I'm too stingy to pay the extra.

These things are great for really close macro, not a bad price either
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr250/indexdcr250eg.htm
Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:13:00 pm by bigROBOTbill

Reply #24 Posted: July 19, 2013, 06:04:29 pm