Topic: i love star wars!

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Sorry, I just had to say that, being the Star Wars nerd I am.

Talk about how awesome star wars is, cause it just is.

Posted: October 22, 2005, 12:38:51 pm

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
  • sacredpossum has no influence.
hell yeah!

darth vader is the cooooooooolest

Reply #1 Posted: October 22, 2005, 12:44:55 pm
Why? Shut up that\'s why.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
There were some guys dress up as stormtroopers at armageddon, I took some photos but they turned out crap cause I was too excited to see them and couldn't work my camera right.

Reply #2 Posted: October 22, 2005, 01:22:52 pm

Offline gray_man

• Just settled in
  • gray_man has no influence.
Quote from: Space Monkey
There were some guys dress up as stormtroopers at armageddon, I took some photos but they turned out crap cause I was too excited to see them and couldn't work my camera right.

R18 post

you guys shoulda seen him soon as he spoted the storm troopers he sorta started shaking around a bit making these wierd facial expresions, then the storm trooper came up to him and said "is that sauce on your pants or are you happy to see me?" spacemonkey just sighed......

not sure if this reply is funny or not.... if its not il delete it and pretend it never happened.....

Reply #3 Posted: October 22, 2005, 01:44:55 pm
Dont expect intelligeent conversation

I had a real good photo of him aiming the gun at me, but it came out all blury cause I didn't switch the flash on.

Reply #4 Posted: October 22, 2005, 01:55:55 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Meth's stormtroopers are way better.

Reply #5 Posted: October 22, 2005, 02:52:44 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
  • bloodyYOKEL-NZ has no influence.
Why do you always have to diminish the mood?

Anyone looks good in a stormtrooper suit

Reply #6 Posted: October 22, 2005, 03:59:46 pm

There is certanly more to life, most people dont appreciate what that is.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Some look better then others.

Sometimes I say funny stuff.

Reply #7 Posted: October 22, 2005, 04:19:31 pm

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
  • bloodyYOKEL-NZ has no influence.
i guess your right.

but its so hard to tell the difference between them however so you have to assume they have no affect on your appearance

Reply #8 Posted: October 22, 2005, 04:35:18 pm

There is certanly more to life, most people dont appreciate what that is.

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
yep, i was one of the biggest star wars fans physically possible.

loved it, read the books, played the games and watch the movies.

the sad fact is Lucas is actually a shitty director. His whole push is for the 'kids movie' angle of star wars. always has been. little furry ewoks destroying the best trained and equipped force in the galaxy, the new movies (for christs sake) all run in this 'its just a bit of fun' angle.

that's fine. but it means i don't really like star wars then. it took me a long time to realise this.

im a hardcore science fiction fan. I read a lot and collect movies with a passion. So when you put this fairy land bullshit up against some solid science ficition, it just sucks.

Damn pity Lucas is such a fag. Some brilliant concepts there (all stolen of course, Knights of the Round Table, the Second World War development and 'action science fiction' which I love).

The best movie I feel was 'Empire Strikes Back'. The only reason I give star wars any credence anymore is because of that film. The action is believealbe, tense and awesome. The script is mindblowing. It really is, if you watch that through just listening carefully to what they actually say and the way they say it you come away thinking 'holy shit'. Anyway i could go on.

The point here? LUCAS DIDN'T DIRECT ESB!

He didn't. hence it doesn't suck. Go and look it up. The man responsible for Robocop 2 did, Ivan Kershner (spelling..).

So anyway, Star Wars could have been my ultimate ficition. It was my love of fantasy combined with science fiction. However, Lucas carefully turned it into a pile of shit to rake in money from parents with nagging kids.

So be it, Jedi

Reply #9 Posted: October 22, 2005, 06:12:21 pm

methuselah methusela m3thuselah methoozebah mahoozemah

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

What about Jar Jar Binks Space Monkey?

Explain that.

Reply #10 Posted: October 22, 2005, 06:45:53 pm

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
Quote from: Zarkov
What about Jar Jar Binks Space Monkey?

Explain that.

see my above post

Reply #11 Posted: October 22, 2005, 07:39:12 pm

Offline - NicK -

• Just settled in
  • - NicK - has no influence.
I like to pretend the prequels never happened.
Then the series kicks ass........ ignoring the whole ewok thing of course.

Reply #12 Posted: October 22, 2005, 10:05:49 pm

Luacs didn't direct Jedi either. But ESB was by far the best, Ivan Kershner is one of the best directors ever, I loved listeing to the director comments on ESB.

Jar Jar Binks was the result of a tumor in Lucas' brain.

Reply #13 Posted: October 22, 2005, 11:53:25 pm

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
yeah, but what else did Richard Marquand do that's worth talking about?

to be honest the only other thing Kershner did was Robocop 2 that I recognise. He did Seaquest DSV but that was a pile of shit.

anyway, Lawrence Kasdan   returns from ESB to lend his script writing that makes RoTJ at least a million times superior to the new episodes.

Darth Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.
Darth Vader: No. *I* am your father.
Luke: No. No. It's not true. That's impossible.
Darth Vader: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
Luke: Nooooo. Nooooo.

maybe its ESB's darkness that makes it so awesome. The lack of Hollywood clichés and happy endings.

The music is something I haven't mentioned yet. If you watch episode 4 all the way through, paying careful attention to the score you'll notice the ENTIRE movie has an orchestral accompaniment, each scene with it's own brillant and spell-binding music. This adds tension and generally contributes to that 'star wars feel' that we all long for.

It's back for ESB. I remember specifically the end part where Luke is closing the panel on his new hand and we zoom back to see the medical frigate he is on. The music swells, an all too familiar undertone takes hold and BAM we hit the credits with the theme blasting. Only the end of Revenge of the Sith came close, however the rest of the score was comparatively crap. John Williams (lets here it for the Aussies!) obviously just didn't have the motivation or ability that he did 20 years ago.

yep, Star Wars is dead to me. Like an old friend that you remember the good days, but don't want to see anymore because of the way they turned out. You wish it could be like it was, but know it never will be.

The only part I can remember from the new movies is 'Order 66' or whatever when the Jedi were betrayed in episode 3. However I still think it didn't have the power of earlier scenes, the understated menace and evil allowing your mind to fill in the terrible blanks.

Darth Vader: Calrissian. Take the princess and the Wookie to my ship.
Lando: You said they'd be left at the city under my supervision.
Darth Vader: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

It was also the characters. The mix was perfect in the old movies. Leia was hot and kicked ass, the perfect heroine. Han Solo, well. What the fuck can you say about him. He kicked more ass than should be legal and was a bloody legend while doing it. Hilarious comments routinely came from him but when the shit got nasty he was the Harrison Ford we all know as Indiana motherfucking Jones.

Princess Leia: Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder.
Han Solo: Who's scruffy-looking?

and Luke. Mark Hamill went on to really do fuck all after the Star Wars films. I saw him in Wing Commander 4 and again on a couple of TV shows, but really, his peak was SW. However because of this, because of his newness to the acting and movie scene his youth and inexperience was perfect for the character he played. As he matured over the years as Star Wars became the incredible success it was so did his character. By the time RoTJ came out he was Mark Hamill, lead actor of the biggest blockbuster saga of the decade (maybe all time). Hence the confidence he brought to his character in that movie was perfect for the grown and ready man that Luke Skywalker had become. Pity about the final screenplay.

Yoda: It is finished. No more training you require.
Luke: Then I am a Jedi.

the supporting cast, Chewie, Lando, Admiral Ackbar (ITS A TRAP lol) and others were all solid.

There is really no way the new movies could equal this and they didn't. Not even close. It all relied on unfinished stories, Star Wars fandom and basically the franchise carrying it where the old movies (particularly episodes 4 and 5) stood completely on their own.

I could go on for days about this lol, but ill shut up. I've written thousands of words on the Star Wars saga but the conclusion is always the same. It's dead. The longer I try and prolong it the more I shit on the greatness it once was.

Reply #14 Posted: October 23, 2005, 05:28:05 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
its a shame they didn't have a  younger Solo in the last film. Like a survivor from the jedi academy or something. Not to have any role, but to acknowledge his existance.

Reply #15 Posted: October 23, 2005, 09:17:16 am

Offline gray_man

• Just settled in
Quote from: Black Heart
its a shame they didn't have a  younger Solo in the last film. Like a survivor from the jedi academy or something. Not to have any role, but to acknowledge his existance.

they have the milenium falcon in the prequels, just a quik scene as it flies in the back round, just after they land that big f*&ked up on fire space ship early on in the third prequel.

Reply #16 Posted: October 23, 2005, 11:42:53 am

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
  • Verrt has no influence.
I don't think that is needed
It anoys me that they just chuck in characters just for the sake of having them
chewbacca shouldn't have been in it, neither should jengo/bobo fett or young greebo and countless others

You can tell m3th is absolutly fuming about starwars can't you
It's like George Lucas  has come and raped his childhood

Reply #17 Posted: October 23, 2005, 04:03:01 pm

Offline m3th

• Just settled in
  • m3th has no influence.
heh, naw I was mad around the time Revenage of the Sith came out earlier this year.

Now im just dead inside

Reply #18 Posted: October 23, 2005, 05:34:15 pm

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
Quote from: Space Monkey

i can just imagine space running around with a bunch of hyperactive 12 year olds :D

Reply #19 Posted: October 23, 2005, 07:00:20 pm

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
i don't know how anybody can say that george lucas is a crap director

he's fuckin awesome, totally innovative and really what makes a good director? there is no checklist here, if there were set guidelines anybody could be one, there are plenty of shit directors out there and lucas isn't one of them.

to me a good director tells a story and they tell it well, star wars has an awesome story and it is very entertaining.

Reply #20 Posted: October 23, 2005, 10:39:01 pm

Offline gray_man

• Just settled in
possum for ur sig u need to get a pic of napolean bailing on his attempt to "get like 3 feet of AIR" such a funny movie

Reply #21 Posted: October 23, 2005, 11:55:06 pm

Yeah, Lucas is a good director, and Star Wars is his movie, so he is allowed to do what he wants with the new movies.

And I think ROTS came pretty close to the level of the orginal movies, and made up for the other two movies.

And AOTC wasn't that bad, and the pod race from the first one was pretty cool.

Reply #22 Posted: October 23, 2005, 11:59:36 pm

Offline sacredpossum

• Devoted Member
Quote from: gray_man
possum for ur sig u need to get a pic of napolean bailing on his attempt to "get like 3 feet of AIR" such a funny movie

lol yeah that movie is so funny :D

yeah i liked all of the new star wars movies, especially episode 3, that rocked, r2d2 was so hardout haha

Reply #23 Posted: October 24, 2005, 12:40:50 am

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
  • Verrt has no influence.
Have you watched the first two of the new movies recently and on a TV sized screen?
they totaly suck, especialy the middle one
once it's off the big screen it looks like some crappy straight to TV movie made by the sci-fi channel

Reply #24 Posted: October 24, 2005, 02:40:27 am