Topic: Kiwi Terms

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Got this sheet in one of my classes which was good fun. Still unsure of what a Micky-doolan is. Never heard of some of them.

Edit: Apologies. I thought the doc would come out as an image. Converting now

Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:13:42 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
wtf 'crib'.
That's american.
thx mtv.

Four walls and a roof that people live in when on holiday.

BBQ.

Biscuits.

Old car that doesn't go well.

A blue??

The common cold / flu.

cardigan.

To throw up.

chicken / older woman (milf).

feeling ill.

farmer

A comic character. Also baked on shit that's stuck in the sheep's wool around it's arsehole.

dent / mark on a car / wall, etc. Also the sound a bell makes.

Toilet.

Carbonated (drink)

Rugby.

Become the subject of some kind of problem. eg. fall off bicycle / car breaks down = "came a gutser"

Gumboots / wellingtons.

Hard work.

??? Head sherang

To put in ones best effort.

someone who makes trouble, especially with a car.

?? Hop head A person obsessed with beer?

?? Illegal Tegel bad chicken? maybe a battery hen? lol, I dunno. I guess someone who has performed a foul, perhaps in a game?

?? Irish curtains

Well done.

Food wagon.

punch in the teeth.

mouth.

sweets (candy).

Old toilet, that does not flush. (outhouse).

Crazy (person).

No one ever says that. Vacuum cleaner. I wouldn't call that a kiwi term.

Special deal for a friend. eg to paint a car for cost and a box of beer

??? Micky-doolan sounds aussie to me.

? Snot? Mountain Oyster

? Someone in the wrong. offsider

Pavlova. A dessert.

To watch a fine woman as she walks past.

An Englishman.

Wine.

??? Plutie

Someone who quits.

Stomach.

An edible plant.

To be pleased.

a mischievous person.

?? Scratcher someone who always begs for food?

A nut, dried fruit and chocolate mix that one takes as a snake when hiking in the bush.

??? Shufti Did someone fuckup the accent and mean Shifty? in which case it would be someone acting suspiciously.

? The weight on the end of a fishing line. ? maybe a dud? sinker

To buy food/drinks for all one's friends.

?? Shonkie

To brag

A sausage.

An electrician.

Someone who loves to cause trouble by verbally antagonising a situation.

To be very tired.

A tattoo.

Someone who works on a wharf

To have a tantrum.

Reply #1 Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:22:36 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
that pommie mountain oyster looks rapt as giving his bomb a good ol hoon even heard some ratbag shout "Give it heaps" out of the back seat .. although .. he looked like he was feeling crook from his mates cockie driving and needed the closest longdrop

Micky-doolan

Edit: .. that was fun :D

Reply #2 Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:30:11 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;922239
Still unsure of what a Micky-doolan is.

I thought it was a sly hit - ie: getting punched when you weren't ready for it.

Quote from: Pyromanik;922243
wtf 'crib'.
That's american.

Try telling that to the good folks of Otago. :finger:

Lolly

What you do to retards on the Internetty.

Scratcher

Bed.

Reply #3 Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:38:43 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
One of the girls at work thought hoon meant shag. Oh how we laughed.

Reply #4 Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:40:18 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
I used to work at the cafe/bar in Christchurch airport. A scottish mate came over and hung out with my buddies for about 6 months and worked with me. He thought Pow pow (bro town pow pow) was just a saying my buddies made up. Anyway, 3 good looking girls walk into the bar (pretty quiet bar and we were both at the tills), he says pow pow loud enough that everyone heard. I hit the ground and hide behind the counter cos im so embarrassed and he had no idea why everyone was laughing at him.

good times.

Reply #5 Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:46:56 pm

Codex

Quote from: benlav;922262
I used to work at the cafe/bar in Christchurch airport. A scottish mate came over and hung out with my buddies for about 6 months and worked with me. He thought Pow pow (bro town pow pow) was just a saying my buddies made up. Anyway, 3 good looking girls walk into the bar (pretty quiet bar and we were both at the tills), he says pow pow loud enough that everyone heard. I hit the ground and hide behind the counter cos im so embarrassed and he had no idea why everyone was laughing at him.

good times.

OH GOD

i lold at work

glad im the only one in the front room

+1

Reply #6 Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:56:36 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
lol @ bens mate

someone should have put electric infront of the Puha

Reply #7 Posted: April 16, 2009, 03:57:43 pm

Offline Donkey

• Addicted
  • Donkey has no influence.

A blue??  
A sickie/sick day (ie flu, rhymes with blue...)

?? Illegal Tegel bad chicken? maybe a battery hen? lol, I dunno. I guess someone who has performed a foul, perhaps in a game?
An underaged girl...

?? Shonkie
 Not 100%, a bit dodgy.

Fixed some

Reply #8 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:11:45 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
wtf 'crib'.
That's american.
thx mtv.

Quote from: TofuEater;922253
Try telling that to the good folks of Otago. :finger:

I find it quite weird that South Islanders call what North Islanders call a 'bach' a 'crib' instead
Quote from: Eifersucht;922246
Micky-doolan

Edit: .. that was fun :D

I thought it was a sly hit - ie: getting punched when you weren't ready for it.

Bed.

(Even though you are right)Never heard of a bed being referred to as a 'scratcher'. I swear some of these must have been made up
Quote from: benlav;922262

How could he have not seen the shirts?!

Reply #9 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:19:03 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Quote from: Tiwaking!;922299

How could he have not seen the shirts?!

ha, yeah, dunno. He was mighty embarassed when I explained why I was lying on the ground.

Shonkie is dodgy isn't it? Like a shonkie car, or a shonkie leg. (dodgy as in bad)

Reply #10 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:24:34 pm

Offline TofuEater

Plutie

Acne - blackheads. Jeez, you can tell that Tiwa's in Southland because half of the sayings are Scottish. :sunnies:

Reply #11 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:40:58 pm
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Jimocles

• Just settled in
  • Jimocles has no influence.
I thought "A Blue" was an arguement

Reply #12 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:44:05 pm

Offline TofuEater

??? Head sherang
To put in ones best effort.

Not sure if you were offering this as an answer - but Head Sharang is slang for "the boss" ie: "who's the head sharang around here?"

? Snot? Mountain Oyster

Bloody townies. :finger: A mountain oyster is slang for a sheep's testicles.

Reply #13 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:44:20 pm

Offline Jimocles

• Just settled in
  • Jimocles has no influence.
a shufti is a look

as in, give me a shufti at that

Offsider is a workmate, usually used in the Navy, where you might have a few people doing the same job in different watches/shifts
so say your the supervisor of #1 shift your offsider would be the the supervisor of #2 shift.

Reply #14 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:45:58 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
^ lol. you wanganui folk...
Yeh, I've heard that before. But IIRC it came from a backwards wangas girl...

Quote from: Donkey;922290
Fixed some

I think "A blue" sounds like it should be cockney, not NZ slang. I've never heard it... and it's rhyming slang.

Illegal tegal, lol. I get it now. Illegal chick. haha. Still never heard it before.
But now you've said that, I do know that one too! Just havn't heard it since I was about... 7.

And as for shonkie, i do recall that now, yeh. Have heard that one before.

And 'crib' being an otago thing... bach ~= crib... maybe if you're retarded. Not a house but a bach I think I may have heard before. But in general terms americans apply it to a house in full, and if anyone here uses it in that way, they're retarded IMO.

Oh shiiii... 2 posts in 1 thread, zarkov's gonna be pissssssssssed...

Reply #15 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:47:14 pm

Offline Donkey

• Addicted
Quote from: Jimocles;922325

Hmmm, it might be actually.

Also, Shufti? Seconding the accent thing, pretty sure this is meant to be "shifty".

Reply #16 Posted: April 16, 2009, 04:53:22 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: TofuEater;922323
Acne - blackheads. Jeez, you can tell that Tiwa's in Southland because half of the sayings are Scottish. :sunnies:

According to the Oxford University Press: dictionary of New Zealand English; 'plutie' is short for 'plutocracy' or anyone considered upper-class.

I've never heard of the word and think someone just made it up.
Quote from: Jimocles;922328
a shufti is a look

as in, give me a shufti at that

Offsider is a workmate, usually used in the Navy, where you might have a few people doing the same job in different watches/shifts
so say your the supervisor of #1 shift your offsider would be the the supervisor of #2 shift.

These are two other words that I'd NEVER EVER HEARD OF. I thought offsider was a cheater. Thankfully one of the more working-class-folk set us all straight.
Quote from: Pyromanik;922331
I think "A blue" sounds like it should be cockney, not NZ slang. I've never heard it... and it's rhyming slang.

Quote from: Jimocles;922325

It IS! Well, its a fight usually at a pub.

When a fight happens at a bar then the participants(and bar owner) are(were) issued a blue form or 'bluey' from the police so having a fight was known as having 'a blue'. Drunken mates come in handy sometimes!
Illegal tegal, lol. I get it now. Illegal chick. haha. Still never heard it before.

I thought it was jailbait too. I have heard of Wood Pigeons being referred to as 'Bush tegels' though.
And 'crib' being an otago thing... bach ~= crib... maybe if you're retarded. Not a house but a bach I think

Thats the thing though. They dont use 'bach' down here, they just say holiday home or crib

This whole english thing is just weird

Reply #17 Posted: April 16, 2009, 05:05:14 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
wtf does pow pow mean?

Reply #18 Posted: April 16, 2009, 05:31:16 pm

Offline Donkey

• Addicted
The act of ejaculating...

I believe the correct spelling is "peow peow"
eg  bro, check out that fly honey over there! i'd totally be in there, like, "peow peow"

Reply #19 Posted: April 16, 2009, 05:35:35 pm

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Tiwaking!;922341
According to the Oxford University Press: dictionary of New Zealand English; 'plutie' is short for 'plutocracy' or anyone considered upper-class.

I've never heard of the word and think someone just made it up.

Ah yes, i stand corrected. It's pretty old though, i can't recall hearing it for years and even then not at all on a regular basis. BTW, the word i was thinking of was "plukes" (that's scottish slang for acne/blackheads).

Reply #20 Posted: April 16, 2009, 05:37:25 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Donkey;922359
The act of ejaculating...

I believe the correct spelling is "peow peow"
eg  bro, check out that fly honey over there! i'd totally be in there, like, "peow peow"

Oh lol, I've been reading it as "pow wow" and thinking "wtf's so bad about talking about talking?"

Reply #21 Posted: April 16, 2009, 05:44:51 pm

Offline bsmurf11

• I Posted!
  • bsmurf11 has no influence.
Micky-doolan is a cathloic

A blue is aussie slang

Scratcher is bed

Stinker to me would be a fart that really smells

Reply #22 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:17:08 pm
[SIGPIC]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/ownedbyhuskies/evonzspankyrh4.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Offline Spin

• Just settled in
  • Spin has no influence.
why do we say irish curtains?

Reply #23 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:24:26 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

And 'crib' being an otago thing... bach ~= crib... maybe if you're retarded. Not a house but a bach I think I may have heard before.

Yeah nah. Tiwa's right in saying, generally any further South than CHCH 'bach' is replaced by 'Crib', although in my opinion the two are slightly different in that Cribs tend to be more run down and shitty - although that's more likely to do with the part of the island they're in, as every 'bach' I've been to has been up near Nelson/Golden Bay, and every 'crib' has been south of Dunedin.

To conclude: KFC is fucken good.

Reply #24 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:24:46 pm