Topic: Kiwi Terms

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Haha, KFC.

Yeh nah... that's a sad modern trend. The term 'bach' is now being applied to what would better be descri... A FUCKING FLY IN MY ROOM@!! *ahem* hehe, little shit got impaled by my joystick... :P ... described as a 'holiday home'. Bach by definition is a small run down old place with very minimal basics to go on. Normally full of great old school tech, like your old one unit ring top stove + oven... and a fridge you have to kick in the right place to get the door to seal properly...

Reply #25 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:28:37 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: bsmurf11;922382
Micky-doolan is a cathloic

A blue is aussie slang

Scratcher is bed

Stinker to me would be a fart that really smells

Ah, I've often heard "micky-doos". So yeh, I suppose.

Quote from: Spin;922386
why do we say irish curtains?

WTF ARE irish curtains?
All that comes in to my head is that perhaps the term applies to that redhead you nailed on last saturday's one night stand...

Reply #26 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:30:40 pm

Offline bsmurf11

• I Posted!
  • bsmurf11 has no influence.
irish curtains = net curtains?????

Reply #27 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:41:38 pm
[SIGPIC]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/ownedbyhuskies/evonzspankyrh4.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Offline Pyromanik

*shrug*

First thing out of google is "Irish lace curtains"... so maybe.
Unless that's where you got the idea from...

Reply #28 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:42:54 pm

Offline bsmurf11

• I Posted!
  • bsmurf11 has no influence.
Quote from: Pyromanik;922399
*shrug*

First thing out of google is "Irish lace curtains"... so maybe.
Unless that's where you got the idea from...

didn't look at google, just the only thing I can think off, never heard it used

Reply #29 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:53:12 pm
[SIGPIC]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/ownedbyhuskies/evonzspankyrh4.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Offline Pyromanik

Me either.
Don't think it's a kiwi thing.

Reply #30 Posted: April 16, 2009, 06:58:05 pm

Offline KITTY

• Devoted Member
  • KITTY has no influence.
some of these are Australian and I suspect a lot of these are also very regional.  Here's what I have.

crib = steal/copy for ones own use
bach = a shack, now more likened to a holiday home by the beach (beach version of a lodge)
barbie = barbeque
bickies = biscuits
bomb(car) = a jalopy, a(n) (near) unroadworthy car
ablue = mistake recognised by oneself
the bot =
cardie = cardigan
chunder = vomit
chook = chicken
feeling crook = sick, to feel ill
cockie = of arrogant character
dag = in NZ is to refer to someone that is is good humourous company, in Australia means someone who is a bore
ding = small dent
dunny = toilet tho more specifically an outhouse
fizz = soft drink(?)
footie = short for football or more specifically rugby
gutser
gummies = gumboots (Mackintohes to you Ukers)
hard yacker = hard physical labour
head sherang
give it heaps = encouragement to apply a lot of effort into a task/activity
hoon = bastardisation of hoodlum
hop head
illegal tegal = jail bait(?)
irish curtains
kapai = Maori for good
kaikart = presumably means food vehicle of some sort
kunckle sandwich = a punch to the face
laughing gear
lolly = sweets (UK where which lolly which is a sweet on a stick) or candy
long drop =
loopie = crazy
lux/hoover = brandnames which have been 'verbed' (liek to 'google') to dop the vacuuming
mates-rates = discounts given to friends
micky doolan
mountain oyster
offsider
pav = dessert of baked egg whites and sugar
perve = short for pervert
pommie = a person from England
plonk = to place something usually by or implying it was done by dropping it into that place
plutie
piker = someone who fails to or declines to commit to a social engagement
puku = Maori for stomach, usually referring to the belly
rapt = to be happy/ecstactic at some news/a situation
ratbag = an person with undesirable qualities
scratcher
scroggin = mixture of nuts dried fruit and chocolate as an energy food for outdoor adventurers
shifti = is a person who is not trustworthy and is suspected to be pushing the bounds of legal activities
sinker = news which causes a momentary depression the mood
shout = a commitment by one party to pay for (usually) food and drink of another party
shonkie = a state of poor quality usually refering to work
skite = to boast
snarler = a sausage
sparkie = electrician
stonkered
tatt
wharfie
wobbly = to lose one's temper

Reply #31 Posted: April 16, 2009, 07:01:12 pm
Discuss and comment.
(10 marks)

Kindest regards,
KITTY

Offline TeamWang

• Just settled in
  • TeamWang has no influence.
Just to fill out some of the seemingly missed obvious ones.

long drop = deep whole in the ground used as a toilet, often with a shed built over it.
laughing gear = mouth
wharfie = dock worker

Reply #32 Posted: April 16, 2009, 07:33:30 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: KITTY;922415
some of these are Australian and I suspect a lot of these are also very regional.  Here's what I have.

the bot =

cockie = of arrogant character

dag = in NZ is to refer to someone that is is good humourous company, in Australia means someone who is a bore

fizz = soft drink(?)

gutser

laughing gear

long drop =

plonk = to place something usually by or implying it was done by dropping it into that place

sinker = news which causes a momentary depression the mood

Bot - sickness, usually the Flu. "I've got the bot."

Cockie - farmer. "He's a cow cockie."

Dag - also: sheep's droppings or testicles. "The sheep need dagging".

Fizz - champagne, or more likely cheap, nasty sparkling wine. "We had a bottle of fizz."

Gutser - to have an accident. "He came a gutser on his bike".

Laughing gear - mouth/teeth. "Wrap your laughing gear around that"

Long drop - outdoor toilet. "Jeez, that long drop stinks".

Plonk - also: alcohol. "I buttered her up with some cheap plonk"

sinker - a lead weight used for holding down a fishing line. "I put a sinker on the line"

Reply #33 Posted: April 16, 2009, 08:48:45 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
I was a wharfie for a while.

Reply #34 Posted: April 16, 2009, 08:59:46 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: TofuEater;922469
sinker - a lead weight used for holding down a fishing line. "I put a sinker on the line"

If that's not the technical term for it, then what is?

Reply #35 Posted: April 16, 2009, 10:53:58 pm

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Pyromanik;922520
If that's not the technical term for it, then what is?

I see what you mean. I've never heard of sinker in any other context. Downer maybe, but not sinker. :confused:

Reply #36 Posted: April 17, 2009, 05:43:38 am
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline KITTY

• Devoted Member
  • KITTY has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;922575
I see what you mean. I've never heard of sinker in any other context. Downer maybe, but not sinker. :confused:

Yeah i  think the definition i gave more matches downer than sinker.

Quote from: Zarkov;922476
I was a wharfie for a while.

I can't believe I forgot that one >_< or long drop

I have heard of Irish curtains very recently so I don't know if it is a new euphemism but can't remember what it is.

I think since there are often used only verbally, it's difficult to see these words in print.  Putting these terms in to context would have made the task a lot easier me thinks.

Reply #37 Posted: April 17, 2009, 06:40:58 am
Discuss and comment.
(10 marks)

Kindest regards,
KITTY

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: TofuEater;922575
I've never heard of sinker in any other context.

Quote from: KITTY;922579
Yeah i  think the definition i gave more matches downer than sinker.

Actually, the only other time i've heard "sinker" used was in relation to a poo. "It was a sinker, not a floater". :chuckle:

Reply #38 Posted: April 17, 2009, 07:43:50 am

Offline TofuEater

perve = short for pervert

perve - also: to look at, usually in a leery manner.
"Dood, i've just got the latest Playboy.
Gis a perve"

Reply #39 Posted: April 17, 2009, 07:46:31 am

Offline Pyromanik

mmm yea. Not really quite equivalent to pervert.

A perv might just mean a good look. (usually leery as iHoff said... when checking out women on the street as they go by, etc.)

A pervert might just accidentally install a spy cam in the ladies changing rooms.

Reply #40 Posted: April 17, 2009, 08:26:19 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: bsmurf11;922398
irish curtains = net curtains?????

No it means 'Cobwebs' and I've only ever seen it used in a poem
Quote from: KITTY;922415

tatt

Tattoo. Tsk tsk

Reply #41 Posted: April 17, 2009, 08:31:10 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Jimocles

• Just settled in
  • Jimocles has no influence.
Trust me Shufti wasn't a typo for shifti it is a look

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shufti

Reply #42 Posted: April 17, 2009, 08:34:57 am

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
a crib is deffinately lower south island, i was from south canterbury and we called ours a bach, but unfurther south than that...it has always been called a crib

deffinately not american in origin

also, there you go guys...go nuts;

http://www.nz.com/new-zealand/guide-book/language/dictionary.aspx

Reply #43 Posted: April 17, 2009, 08:53:43 am

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Jimocles;922597
Trust me Shufti wasn't a typo for shifti it is a look

Yup, "having a shufti" is taking a look at something. But i'm pretty sure it's cockney in origin.

Reply #44 Posted: April 17, 2009, 09:26:29 am

Offline GhostOfGallipoli

• GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...GhostOfGallipoli might someday be someone...
Quote from: TofuEater;922616
Yup, "having a shufti" is taking a look at something. But i'm pretty sure it's cockney in origin.

british military from india colonies

Reply #45 Posted: April 17, 2009, 10:55:52 am

Offline Donkey

• Addicted
  • Donkey has no influence.
In my 26 years I have never heard anyone use the word shufti. I'm starting to think this list is not all NZ slang.

Reply #46 Posted: April 17, 2009, 01:03:22 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Quote from: Donkey;922731
In my 26 years I have never heard anyone use the word shufti. I'm starting to think this list is not all NZ slang.

I've heard and used shufti heaps....

Reply #47 Posted: April 17, 2009, 03:31:08 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Some of them are from arabic terms etc, picked up by the military in WW2.

Reply #48 Posted: April 17, 2009, 05:01:47 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
Quote from: Dr_Woohoo;922793
I've heard and used shufti heaps....

Theres an NZ one woohoo: Heaps

Reply #49 Posted: April 17, 2009, 05:14:58 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."