Topic: Website - Play This Thing!

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Play This Thing is a Website which has games on it. Thousands of games. Games of every shape and type: Video Games, Android Games, Apple Store Games, Table Top Role Playing Games, Interactive Move Games, Card Games, Dice Games, Pen and Paper Games and much much more!
http://playthisthing.com

The reason I am mentioning it is because I ran into an absolutely fantastic game. Two fantastic games actually:

Kenshi
http://www.indiedb.com/games/kenshi/downloads/kenshi-0296

Oriental Style free roaming desert adventure. Nice and complicated mechanics and the only thing that would make this alpha great would be music (the game is played in silence).

Also: WTF
http://www.aoedipus.net/dist/wtfloader.html

2D side scrolling World of Warcraft with the most subversive dialogue since Kingdom of Loathing.

Posted: February 12, 2013, 10:44:06 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Just an example of the diversity of games on this site:
http://playthisthing.com/nordic-larp
Type: Book
Developer: Jaakko Stenros & Markus Montola

The rise of the ars ludorum is not confined to the bombastic power fantasies of the videogame but is manifest all over the globe in diverse ways, from the doujin games of Japan to the passionate intensity of the indie games movement to the rise of the Euro-style boardgame. Not least among these movements is larp, brought to its apotheosis in the Nordic countries, where vast, imaginative works of enormous artistic ambition receive attention not only from game geeks but from their national cultures as well. This vital phenomenon is now accessible to English speakers through this landmark work, an anthology of articles describing some of the most impressive and compelling works of the form. Anyone seriously interested in role-play, interactive narrative, and the collision between games and theater will find it of enormous interest.

Yup. That is just as weird as it reads.

Reply #1 Posted: February 13, 2013, 01:49:03 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/avww-downloads

An absolute masterpiece in effort. Savaged in reviews but for explorer types it is amazing.

Roguelike Character Creation + 2D Platformer + RPG + Craftastic

Reply #2 Posted: February 13, 2013, 04:02:33 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Bwuh??

ElectroCity
http://www.electrocity.co.nz/
Welcome to ElectroCity.

You will be given complete control over a small town within New Zealand. What you do with that town is up to you. You can build stuff, destroy stuff, and even leave stuff alone.

WAIMATE! I CHOOSE YOU!

Reply #3 Posted: February 14, 2013, 11:03:11 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518049
Bwuh??

ElectroCity
http://www.electrocity.co.nz/

WAIMATE! I CHOOSE YOU!

Game doesn't make sense.

For some reason my money disappears between turns if I don't spend.

Turn 1 $100
Turn 2 $190
Turn 3 $280
Turn 4 $70

But if I spend all my money, I always get around $100 the next turn.

I have to use by cash to buy coal and gas when low, and sell when high, to keep my money.

This game is meant to be about sustainability, but instead it teaches me to spend all my money, and cut down native bush, and mine all the coal and gas I can.
Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:35:15 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #4 Posted: February 14, 2013, 11:49:37 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Oh Hi, I see your balance is -$1

Let's destroy your city you spent all that time working on, even though you were doing so well, and then say you lost, because we don't understand the concept of debt.

ok, back to work I guess.

Reply #5 Posted: February 14, 2013, 01:05:30 pm

Tiwa, I think it is our duty to remake the game.

Remake for the good of the world.

And not in flash.

Reply #6 Posted: February 14, 2013, 02:36:21 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518064

And not in flash.

But bigger! And better! And not about New Zealand! :D

Reply #7 Posted: February 14, 2013, 04:34:19 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

I'll make it in Java, and open source it.

Need someone else to do the graphics though

Reply #8 Posted: February 14, 2013, 04:38:15 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518061
Oh Hi, I see your balance is -$1

Let's destroy your city you spent all that time working on, even though you were doing so well, and then say you lost, because we don't understand the concept of debt.

ok, back to work I guess.

OH! I am glad to see I am not the only one to have wasted a good part of their day trying this annoying game.
Ive been trying to beat the worlds high score which is:
Pramu: 12,657,590

The best I can do is:
Timaru: 12,175,462

Quote from: Dr. Acula;1518076

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518064

And not in flash.

But bigger! And better! And not about New Zealand! :D

I agree with both of you. Being forced to reload the page and sit through the annoying silent intro is sigh worthy.

Dr. Acula: We could make New Zealand a difficulty level, where the map has a ton of hills, no Nuclear Power, and none of those fancy clean "CoGen Farms".
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518077
I'll make it in Java, and open source it.

Need someone else to do the graphics though

I cant do 2D Isometric. It will have to be 2D top down.

Spoilers in how to play ElectroCity:
Spoiler :
Key points: Do NOT build anything BUT Nuclear Power Plants.
Money > Energy: You dont need Power Plants. You make tons more money than there is electricity in the game. Just use money to buy power because there is not enough space to build enough Power Plants.
Time > Cost: The limit of 150 turns means you need to get the SLOWEST built buildings up as fast as you can for maximum benefit. What I mean is: If you have the money, build it. Try not to save up for things. Notably: Ski Fields $2k(12 turns), Stadiums $13k/Amusement Parks $13k(14? turns). These buildings need to be finished before turn 100 at LEAST.
NUCLEAR POWAH! Build these one at a time and keep upgrading. The environmental/tourism impact is too big to build all of them at once.
Keep New Zealand Green - NEVER demolish bush (make them National Parks $900 +8 tourism -6 pollution!) try not to demolish Forest
Maps are RANDOM: Some maps are harder than others. By 'Harder' I mean 20k-1k more or less people. This is due to space issues.
Water is USELESS: Ocean squares cannot be used. The generators cause too much pollution.
Special Resources: Whale Watching and Geo Thermal Tourism is excellent.

Things NEVER TO BUILD: Wind Power, Coal/Gas Power, Solar Power, Sea Power, Hydro Power, Geo Power, Camping Grounds (debatable since you can demolish them but +1 tourism? Pff), Mines (you dont have time/money to waste of them as they are far too slow), Buying Gas/Power (not enough time to take advantage of low/high cost). Anything I havent mentioned in the guide, dont build.

First save up and build the Paper Mill $1200(+$600/turn) then upgrade for $500 (it then uses no power)
then save for Aluminium Smelter ($2400 +$1k/turn)
the save for Nuclear Power Plant $4k.
If you have the money ($2k) build the Ski Fields OR Spam the coast with Beaches the upgrade when able.
Spam Hills with Rich Farm/Farms and upgrade them.
Build Airport quickly (pre-turn 80), upgrade it continously
Try to upgrade the Ski Fields, but they are expensive ($8k)
When the "You need more energy!" messages come up, upgrade the Nuclear Power Plant. Build more ONLY when everything is being built. Dont bother saving money to build the power plant. Money > Energy.

Once you feel it is time to 'win', set the tax rate to zero. Then, demolish the Paper Mill (replace with Stadium) and demolish the Smelter (replace with Amusement Park)
At around turn 80 is when you should just rush: Change the options to "auto pay shortfall) and Press Next Turn over and over again. Your income should be ridiculously high. If not, then you will go bankrupt.

General Notes:
Destroy the WindMill and replace it with Rich Farms or Farm then upgrade to CoGen Farms.
Place Farms on every hill

Reply #9 Posted: February 14, 2013, 05:56:40 pm

I think I did the opposite of everything you said.

Reply #10 Posted: February 14, 2013, 09:01:19 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518099
I think I did the opposite of everything you said.

Oh! If you do that and make it to the end you should get an A- or A+. The goal of the game is sustainability, so making lots of money using resources and not impacting the environment heavily is key.

Those 12 million people cities only score a B due to 'Not Energy sustainable'

Reply #11 Posted: February 14, 2013, 10:50:35 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

I found a game you should never play

Quadraticus
http://quadradius.com/

Rules: Two teams of draughts. Each draught can move forward, back, left or right one square and capture any piece they jump on.

The only thing 'special' about the game is that there are power ups which randomly appear on the board and pieces can collect.

Unfortunately in the first game I played the opponent picked up the "Invincible" power up and destroyed more than half my pieces before I gave up and just fed the rest of my pieces to him.

Reply #12 Posted: February 14, 2013, 11:56:12 pm

Did much better that time around. A Metropolis with 4 large nuclear plants.

However now I forgot my city name, and can't find it in the finished citeis screen.

Reply #13 Posted: February 15, 2013, 08:24:49 am

Offline Tiwaking!

A fun Roguelike game with a system based on Dungeons and Dragons

http://www.incursion-roguelike.com/

The interface is abit annoying with the 'g' to 'get' but all it does is put it into the 'floating' section  of your inventory and then you have to either 's' stow it in backpack or 'space' swap it with existing.

Also: Dont select 'retire' from the dungeon exit. It finishes your game and kills your character. Four hours of gameplay wasted.

Reply #14 Posted: February 15, 2013, 08:58:44 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518118
Also: Dont select 'retire' from the dungeon exit. It finishes your game and kills your character.

That's an extreme definition of 'retire'.

Reply #15 Posted: February 15, 2013, 10:35:59 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518118
Also: Dont select 'retire' from the dungeon exit. It finishes your game and kills your character.

That's an extreme definition of 'retire'.

Reply #16 Posted: February 15, 2013, 10:36:25 am

I'm going to put that 'retire' feature in all my games.

I'll take it further, it will also uninstall windows and format your harddrive.

Reply #17 Posted: February 15, 2013, 10:39:45 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Having just played the surreal and moving Passage
http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

I decided to check out the other games by Jason Rohrer

Inside a Star-filled Sky by Jason Rohrer
http://insideastarfilledsky.net/
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=544331[/url]
'I Remember The Rain' is an interactive short story made in New Zealand over a period of about a month. I hope to make more projects like this so any feedback is much appreciated!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518125
I'm going to put that 'retire' feature in all my games.

I'll take it further, it will also uninstall windows and format your harddrive.

Oddly enough, in games I make instead of 'Very Easy Mode' I call it "MBV" mode

Massive Bleeding Vagina.

p.s According to Sid Meiers presentation, Games should only have a maximum of four difficulty levels, three being optimum.

Reply #18 Posted: February 15, 2013, 12:02:09 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Awesome little MMO space shooter
http://seb.ly/demos/MMOsteroids.html
Arrows to move, Space to fire.

Tapping space to fire wasn't efficient enough for me, so utilized one of the macro keys on my G15 ;D
http://www.iforce.co.nz/i/u0arqnex.bek.jpg
Website - Play This Thing!

Reply #19 Posted: February 15, 2013, 02:16:16 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Dr. Acula;1518154

Tapping space to fire wasn't efficient enough for me, so utilized one of the macro keys on my G15 ;D

Holy crap

That is the most craziest thing I've played in ages. Like 2000 people sitting in a room trying to talk to each other at once.

Reply #20 Posted: February 15, 2013, 03:21:48 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

This game requires Firefox or Safari. No Opera allowed
http://www.forumwarz.com/
Forumwarz is a parody role-playing game that takes place on the Internet. In fact, Forumwarz is the Internet...in game form.

Magical dragon-faeries? Flaxen-hair'd elflords? Dank scary dungeons, reminiscent of Grandpa's basement? Kids' stuff. In Forumwarz, you can pwn trolls in ridiculous web forums...buy hacked warez from shady Russian websites...or upgrade your skills with breast implants, malt liquor and antidepressants.

Assume the role of one of three Internet personas: Camwhore, Troll or Emo Kid, each with their own special attacks, abilities and personalities.

Play in story mode and pwn your way through a dense world of mystery, intrigue and Internet idiocy. Or test your skillz against others in various player-versus-player challenges.

Reply #21 Posted: February 15, 2013, 03:25:20 pm

All I get is a black screen.

I like it.

Reply #22 Posted: February 15, 2013, 03:36:53 pm

Quote from: Dr. Acula;1518154

This post says it's fake, just AI bots.
http://seb.ly/2012/04/gotcha-fake-mmo-asteroids-april-fool/

I'm not impressed.

Reply #23 Posted: February 15, 2013, 03:41:44 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518169
This post says it's fake, just AI bots.
http://seb.ly/2012/04/gotcha-fake-mmo-asteroids-april-fool/

I'm not impressed.

That is so unfair.

Here, play this to cheer you up. An absolutely stunning experience

http://armorgames.com/play/2153/aether

protip: Fall back to 'earth' when you go to space and you will find yourself not in Kansas anymore

Reply #24 Posted: February 15, 2013, 03:45:57 pm