Topic: Wide Angle recommendations please!

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
So, I've picked up this camera stuff as a beloved hobby, and thoroughly enjoy it far too much. I've got a Canon 5D Mk II and a 7D, and am looking for an EF lens to go on them. I'm pretty fussy about wanting expensive glass, and good aperture, and up until now have been very Canon glass biased.

Anyone got any recommendations of decently priced wide angle though? More for group shots than anything else.

Posted: January 20, 2014, 05:25:07 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
So, I've picked up this camera stuff as a beloved hobby, and thoroughly enjoy it far too much. I've got a Canon 5D Mk II and a 7D, and am looking for an EF lens to go on them. I'm pretty fussy about wanting expensive glass, and good aperture, and up until now have been very Canon glass biased.

Anyone got any recommendations of decently priced wide angle though? More for group shots than anything else.

24mm 1.4L II USM baby! oh wait, decently priced :P Sigma?

Reply #1 Posted: January 20, 2014, 05:35:45 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Mmmm - was initially looking at the 16-35mm 2.8... but dat price tag...

Reply #2 Posted: January 20, 2014, 05:38:28 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Tokina AT-X 11-16mm f2.8 II Pro DX    $945.00 photo.co.nz

great piece of glass, superwide. If not wanting so wide

Sigma AF17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM    $1025.00
Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f2.8    $1200.00

all 3 are great pieces of glass.

I run the sigma 8-16mm and fucking love it.
Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:46:33 pm by Growler

Reply #3 Posted: January 20, 2014, 05:43:55 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.

Samyang 14mm f2.8  $529 inc gst

http://www.apix.co.nz/afawcs0152937/CATID=178/ID=3187/SID=746324515/SAMYANG-14mm/f2.8-LENS-CANON-MOUNT.html

Reply #4 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:42:19 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
did you buy anything?

I am looking at a D800 and getting a UW, and everything points to the Tokina 16-28 2.8 as being the best there is (other than the nikon 14-24 which is over 2x price) beats the canon, other nikons etc by a mile.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/tokina_atx_16_24mm_f_28_pro_fx_review/conclusion/

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/16-28mm.htm
Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:10:24 pm by Growler

Reply #5 Posted: February 11, 2014, 08:08:26 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Not really appropriate for FFs, but I picked up an 11-16 DXII and it's pretty grouse.

Reply #6 Posted: February 12, 2014, 09:41:21 am

Offline Growler

Yeah that rates hugely on DX, I wish I had got that over the 8-16, just that bit sharper.

Reply #7 Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:23:32 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.
I've got the old AF 18-35 F3.5-4.5 and I'm sorely tempted by that Tokina 16-28 F2.8

Reply #8 Posted: February 12, 2014, 12:33:03 pm

Offline Growler

Yeah after reading reviews that puts the Tokina 2nd only to the nikon 14-24, beats the nikon 16-35 and the same canon glass that all cost over twice as much. The Tokina is what I will go for.

It's either D610 + 14-24 or D800 + 16-28. I willtake the D800 and lose 7° shooting angle please!

Now to just make the numbers stack up for the boss!

Reply #9 Posted: February 12, 2014, 12:46:05 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.
FYI, the D610 autofocus points over quite a small proportion of the screen, the 39 points are quite tightly packed.  That's pretty much the only issue I have with my D600 

Reply #10 Posted: February 12, 2014, 12:50:11 pm