Topic: R.I.P Jim Anderton

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I was listening to the radio with one of my students and I found out that Jim Anderton died in hospital today :(

R.I.P. Jim Anderton. He was a great politician. And a great human being

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Anderton
James Patrick Anderton CNZM (born James Patrick Byrne; 21 January 1938 – 7 January 2018) was a New Zealand politician who led a succession of left wing parties after leaving the Labour Party in 1989. He served as Deputy Prime Minister from 1999 to 2002. In 2010, he ran unsuccessfully for the mayoralty of Christchurch. Anderton retired from Parliament at the 2011 election. After his retirement, he and former MP Philip Burdon were the two prominent campaigners for the restoration of ChristChurch Cathedral.

edit: I forgot to include this story. Jim Anderton is one of the few politicians who can be credited with directly saving someones life. The other politician that I know of is Ron Mark.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10346918
Jim Anderton and wife rescue injured man
23 Sep, 2005 7:20am

Cabinet minister Jim Anderton has been commended by police after his quick actions saved the life of a homeless man.

The 67-year-old Progressives leader and his wife Carole found the man with blood gushing from his arm in the middle of a Sydenham street in Christchurch as they drove home about 9pm on Tuesday.

The man had cut an artery when he jumped through the window of a Selwyn St home to escape an attack. He then stumbled about 100m - as blood gushed from his arm - down the street, and into the path of the Andertons' car.

Mr Anderton used his wife's possum and merino fur scarf and his own silk tie as a tourniquet to stem the bleeding, while his wife called emergency services. The Andertons also used a bundle of clothes they were planning to deliver to a charity shop to further slow the bleeding.

Mr Anderton said he had feared for the man's life. "He was losing blood like Niagara Falls. I didn't think he was going to live," he said.

The man passed out before emergency services arrived. He was taken to Christchurch Hospital.

Police have said the man could have died if the Andertons had not come to his rescue.

"He was really lucky members of the public assisted him and tried to stop the bleeding," said Detective Sergeant William McIvor.

The man was discharged from hospital yesterday after surgery to repair the cut artery.
Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:13:05 pm by Tiwaking!

Posted: January 07, 2018, 10:04:26 pm
I am now banned from GetSome