Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
netbooks batteries at best only lasted reasonably 6 months before crapping out.. I've had a netbook 3 years and am on 3rd battery..  and thats with me cycling the battery at least every 3 days

I too was hesitant to getting out of cycling habits. But truth is that cycling is not good for lithium based energy bricks.
Although I guess it depends on how you define 'cycle'.

Also my netbook is the business. It's nearly a notebook. I call it a laptop. It's not one of those original things that conjures up images of D cells.

1215N, love it to bits.

I've treated the battery... with caution. Not all good for it though. As I say, it has been plugged in most of the time I'm using the machine, so maybe that's why it's lasted so long.

Or maybe
Maybe batteries just don't like you?

1 a year seems a bit excessive.

Reply #21100 Posted: July 08, 2014, 11:44:03 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
netbooks batteries at best only lasted reasonably 6 months before crapping out.. I've had a netbook 3 years and am on 3rd battery..  and thats with me cycling the battery at least every 3 days

I too was hesitant to getting out of cycling habits. But truth is that cycling is not good for lithium based energy bricks.
Although I guess it depends on how you define 'cycle'.

Also my netbook is the business. It's nearly a notebook. I call it a laptop. It's not one of those original things that conjures up images of D cells.

1215N, love it to bits.

I've treated the battery... with caution. Not all good for it though. As I say, it has been plugged in most of the time I'm using the machine, so maybe that's why it's lasted so long.

Or maybe
Maybe batteries just don't like you?

1 a year seems a bit excessive.

it is one of those silly first ten HP notebooks the battery is tiny..  and by cycling once a week i let it go flat and then charge it again, most of the time its plugged in.

Reply #21101 Posted: July 08, 2014, 11:48:38 am

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
If you got 3 years out of a netbook battery, you've done bloody well tbh. I got 2 years out of the battery for my 1001p  with careful regular use and best charging proceedures (since I sold the bloody things at the time)

Reply #21102 Posted: July 08, 2014, 05:46:04 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Li Ion best charging is not to deep discharge.
Deep cycles is bad, apparently.

Yeah, as I say, if it'd just died then I'd be ok with that. But it was still holding about 3 hours of charge and otherwise working fine (excepting the last ~40 mins of reported time until needed charge). It annoys me that I'm the one that put the nail in :(

But thanks for the reassurance :>
Nothing to do but buy a new one I guess. Now to decide if I want one or not :/ I've been running it without a battery this long, and generally the ability to move between rooms isn't that high on the scale of demand!
Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:32:35 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #21103 Posted: July 08, 2014, 06:30:47 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Li Ion best charging is not to deep discharge.
Deep cycles is bad, apparently., and generally the ability to move between rooms isn't that high on the scale of demand!

Deep cycles are actually really fine provided you don't go below ~20% capacity. It's the charging from a deep cycle that kills lithium-x. But obviously to discharge you have to recharge, therefore you only have a certain number of charge cycles.

Reply #21104 Posted: July 08, 2014, 08:07:25 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

Probably one of the most awesome exchanges on the internet.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/1snzg1

Probably more because not only was it intelligent, it also didn't disintegrate into "NO UR RONG U DIK"

Reply #21105 Posted: July 10, 2014, 11:36:44 am

Codex

^Interesting hah

Went to the uni open day, was pretty awesome.

Have been told I definitely can't take Jap as an elective because it's 45 points but hey, i'll keep doing it in my own time anyway, what's left of it that is

Reply #21106 Posted: July 10, 2014, 07:07:34 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
^Interesting hah

Have been told I definitely can't take Jap as an elective because it's 45 points but hey, i'll keep doing it in my own time anyway, what's left of it that is

DID YOU SEE THE RACE CAR!?

Reply #21107 Posted: July 10, 2014, 10:14:56 pm

Codex

Was it the one in the presentation that was built from scratch?

Reply #21108 Posted: July 11, 2014, 08:25:06 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Was it the one in the presentation that was built from scratch?

Yep!

I was in that area all morning and most of the afternoon.

Reply #21109 Posted: July 11, 2014, 08:53:17 am

Offline Pyromanik

^Interesting hah

That's no reason in itself, it's more likely that you just don't have enough space for it around your other not so electives.

I took an extra paper one year (second I think) that threw me well over the 'limit'. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would fail.

Except that the elective that I was taking that pushed it out was computer science. I aced it with an A+ with ease, leaving me with plenty of time for normal amounts of study in all the other proper papers I actually needed.

It's not impossible - you just need to get it all signed off with the dean of your school (or something like that). It can be good if you've got the first level covered, but need it as a requsite for the next year. That or see if there's some kind of aptitude test to get straight in (ie test to see if you can go straight into 121 or whatever instead of having to take the year long 101 first).
Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:06:52 am by Pyromanik

Reply #21110 Posted: July 11, 2014, 08:55:56 am

Codex

Yep!

Was awesome

Dang it should have come and touched you a little/a lot.

That's no reason in itself, it's more likely that you just don't have enough space for it around your other not so electives.

I took an extra paper one year (second I think) that threw me well over the 'limit'. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would fail.

Except that the elective that I was taking that pushed it out was computer science. I aced it with an A+ with ease, leaving me with plenty of time for normal amounts of study in all the other proper papers I actually needed.

It's not impossible - you just need to get it all signed off with the dean of your school (or something like that). It can be good if you've got the first level covered, but need it as a requsite for the next year. That or see if there's some kind of aptitude test to get straight in (ie test to see if you can go straight into 121 or whatever instead of having to take the year long 101 first).
That's interesting, yeah they said they don't allow it :/ could always try and see anyway which is what I was planning to do by just enrolling with the subject added haha.

I did do a timetable based on this years subjects and it fitted in very well, though the person I was talking to wouldn't have a bar of it lol.

If they don't allow me to do it will just try do more cosc stuffs anyway

Reply #21111 Posted: July 11, 2014, 09:16:11 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yep!

Was awesome

That's interesting, yeah they said they don't allow it :/ could always try and see anyway which is what I was planning to do by just enrolling with the subject added haha.

I did do a timetable based on this years subjects and it fitted in very well, though the person I was talking to wouldn't have a bar of it lol.

I will say that cosc is pretty hardouts though.
Courses have just as much work, require arguably more study (because faster pace), but worth half the points.
Plus math and all that shit on top.

So it might be harder. It really depends.
Their policies may have changed.
It may also depend entirely on who you talk to/with/get to sign your 'well... ok' slip.

I know it's generally not recommended at least, yeh.
You have 2 weeks to change enrollments anyway without penalty.
You could wriggle your way into it / try it out soft for a week or so by just turning up.

Although with saying that cosc is hardout, so is language. Every single day, and requires just as much study every single day (as contact hours, at least - also very fast paced).
But if you have sweet supports outside of uni to practice and encourage, then that's a big big help.

I didn't have that.

Plus you have xenu and trolololololololololololololollollollolloloooooolllllolllolooooooo and even me if you get really stuck to help with cosc shit. And that kosmosymian fellow too.

Well... I can help with code... and memory management to a degree. But probaly not as well as Bounty Hunter. And not so much with red black trees. I mean I know what they are, and what they're for, and all that. But it always seemed to be the point where I switched off in concepts classes (all of them, and 2 different universities at different times) :< Though I'm pretty sure Tiwa could explain the shit out of those motherfuckers, given the chance.
Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:41:23 am by Pyromanik

Reply #21112 Posted: July 11, 2014, 09:34:44 am

Codex

Is this for Cantebury? They are super strict there. You'd need special dispensation, which you can actually get. At Otago University the staff are instructed during sensitivity training to direct students to where they can get help during applications as opposed to just turning up and expecting everything to work fine.
Yeah it is for UC

Special dispensation? Like exemption?

Yeah has been an interesting process simply trying to find basic info lol

Reply #21113 Posted: July 11, 2014, 02:32:24 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Courses have just as much work, require arguably more study (because faster pace), but worth half the points.

It may also depend entirely on who you talk to/with/get to sign your 'well... ok' slip.

You could wriggle your way into it / try it out soft for a week or so by just turning up.

Although with saying that cosc is hardout, so is language. Every single day, and requires just as much study every single day (as contact hours, at least - also very fast paced).
But if you have sweet supports outside of uni to practice and encourage, then that's a big big help.

I didn't have that.

Plus you have xenu and trolololololololololololololollollollolloloooooolllllolllolooooooo and even me if you get really stuck to help with cosc shit. And that kosmosymian fellow too.

Well... I can help with code... and memory management to a degree. But probaly not as well as Bounty Hunter. And not so much with red black trees. I mean I know what they are, and what they're for, and all that. But it always seemed to be the point where I switched off in concepts classes (all of them, and 2 different universities at different times) :< Though I'm pretty sure Tiwa could explain the shit out of those motherfuckers, given the chance.

I consider COSC papers easier because of my maths background, but harder because they're usually more boring/theory/proofs and in my opinion on average poorly organised. Papers like computer graphics (cosc) are especially easier because it's essentially just matrices which has been my bread and butter for the last 3 years. While the cosc student have to pass 100 level math, they don't get the same exposure. This is the same for calculus.

I can help out :D

Reply #21114 Posted: July 11, 2014, 07:14:35 pm

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.
Yep!

Was awesome

I didn't have that.

Don't mind helping out

Reply #21115 Posted: July 11, 2014, 10:02:45 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Holy fuck this thread took a sharp turn into boring-as-shitsville.

Here's a stupid bitch:

Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:03:52 am by Retardobot

Reply #21116 Posted: July 11, 2014, 11:54:56 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
^hahaahha

Share interesting photos?

Here is my mates 21st present... and my friday night.

Oh and umm, dildos.

Spoiler :

Reply #21117 Posted: July 12, 2014, 10:35:21 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
That's the "Before", wheres the "After" shot?

Reply #21118 Posted: July 12, 2014, 12:19:54 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
That's the "Before", wheres the "After" shot?

oh, Excuse me.

Spoiler :

Turns out anal beads make you bleed a lot. I had the cup because I expecting a bit of...back fire.

Ending up turning out like
Spoiler :
jarsquatter.com

Reply #21119 Posted: July 12, 2014, 12:21:43 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!

Reply #21120 Posted: July 12, 2014, 02:47:46 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Is this for Cantebury? They are super strict there. You'd need special dispensation, which you can actually get. At Otago University the staff are instructed during sensitivity training to direct students to where they can get help during applications as opposed to just turning up and expecting everything to work fine.
Yeah it is for UC

Special dispensation? Like exemption?

Yeah has been an interesting process simply trying to find basic info lol

Yeah, that's the part where you go and get the signature of the dean of the school you're enrolled in (who can say no).

Reply #21121 Posted: July 12, 2014, 10:11:33 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Reply #21122 Posted: July 12, 2014, 10:19:02 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Here's a stupid bitch:

I don't get it.

Reply #21123 Posted: July 12, 2014, 10:20:02 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Here's a stupid bitch:

I don't get it.

Currently there is a feud between 4chan and tumblr. I say feud but I really mean tumblr feminist white knights who are easier to bait than a 3yr old prone to temper tantrums are doing their best to offend 4chan by posting shit like this:

Reply #21124 Posted: July 13, 2014, 12:38:31 am