Topic: Renaming NZ Islands

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;1522429
Maori have problems pronouncing North Island, they say Norf.

Asians have problems pronouncing North and South.

So maybe we should rename to Asian names so that we are not pandering to a specific group of Pakeha.

sounds good to me, my neice is half asian and my sister is married to one.

Reply #25 Posted: April 03, 2013, 08:50:32 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Obble;1522436
Auckland Island and White supremacist, xenophobic, bash guys for no reason, bad Island.

FTFY.

roflol..  more likley to get bashed in the north island....  or killed and then dumped at the local hospital..  like in waikato...

i just think it's funny that its political BS to want to rename everything all the time or suddenly up and change the treaty because of a little pressure.  GOD danm me for wanting a government with a bit of backbone..

they bow to everything.. now they are crying because they sided with obama and pissed of the chinese who decide to pull tinto reo out.. and the government runs off trying to make them a deal.

GROW SOME GOD DAM BALLS NZ..  at least Helen Clarke had the balls once in a while.

Reply #26 Posted: April 03, 2013, 08:54:09 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1522430
I like the South Island name  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Wai_Pounamu

R
eminds me of Ponani  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ponani which it seems the OP is a bit of one

how would it make me a pussy ...  and the name reminds me on punani  or puntang.. go look those up in your little urban dictionary.

Reply #27 Posted: April 03, 2013, 08:56:09 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1522424
They were here first, they named it first.
It shows some fucking history and culture.

Te Ika-a-Māui
It is translated as "the fish of Maui", from the story of Māui, who hauled up the North Island on his waka (canoe). The name te Ika nui a Māui, "The great fish of Maui", is also used.

North Island
An Island that is to the north of something else.

actually by definition the Moriori people where here first and got killed and eaten for their land....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriori_people

if anything this argument shows there is a divide amongst the wider forum users and on other forums and comments on stuff where this is being discussed.

I was not intending to be polorized a rascist or hater etc.

i was simply bringing it to attention, and if they want to change the name thats fine, however i would be PRO using both the current and maori names together as either or etc.

I am not denying the cultural heritage of anybody, its actaully a very unique and fascinating culture, however it's not everybodies cup of tea which is fine, and thus my suggestion of both naming conventions, i wont argu black and blue or be pro either one.

to me neither the maori's or the Pakeha "WHITE PIGS" have claim over each other. as there have been generation of both raised on this land so therefore both have as much right as the other.

its not about who got here first what are we kindergartners arguing over who played in the fucking sandpit first.
Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:04:29 pm by Xsannz

Reply #28 Posted: April 03, 2013, 08:58:13 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
How about you actually read the article you just posted me.
That whole Moriori were here first story is complete bullshit and was used as jusification to treat Maori like shit.

I'll let you figure it out on your own before I quote slam you :P
Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:06:05 pm by Bell

Reply #29 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:01:53 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1522447
How about you actually read the article you just posted me.

That whole Moriori were here first story is complete bullshit and was used as jusification to treat Maori like shit.

its still debated, and yes historians have rejected it..  however the only accepted publications thus far have been from Maori historians, not a single Pakeha or Eurpopean has been allowed a submission on that topic.

i spent all day talking to a university lecturer about it.

nonetheless read my post above yours.

it's a mute point .. i was simply stating my initial dismay at renaming everything because of a so called clerical error.

i am not pro or against either naming convention, i would however like there to be both options ...

Reply #30 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:06:45 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Xsannz;1522446
I was not intending to be polorized a rascist or hater etc.

You made a thread whining about how absurd it would be to change the names to Maori using such claims as "noone will be able to say it".
You then went on to agree with a post where someone said if they changed it you would be leaving the country.
You talked about pandering to the Maori and called the Government weak for dealing with Treaty issues.
You also brought up bullshit facts about the Maori not being here first and suggested the word Pakeha means "WHITE PIGS" (it doesn't).
Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:14:27 pm by Bell

Reply #31 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:12:20 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Xsannz;1522444
i just think it's funny that its political BS to want to rename everything all the time or suddenly up and change the treaty because of a little pressure.  GOD danm me for wanting a government with a bit of backbone...

This is nothing to do with the government, just some people bringing it up for discussion, as the Islands have no official name it may be a good time to have a grown up discussion on it. Try not to get your knickers too tight up our self righteous arse

Quote from: Xsannz;1522445
how would it make me a pussy ...  and the name reminds me on punani  or puntang.. go look those up in your little urban dictionary.

I was meaning cunt

Reply #32 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:12:23 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I think that any mention of islands being 'renamed' is just media trying to create a storm.

All they are doing is deciding whether to allow the Maori name to be a secondary official name, with the current names being formalised.

Hook line and sinker.

Reply #33 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:13:31 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Xsannz;1522448
its still debated, and yes historians have rejected it..  however the only accepted publications thus far have been from Maori historians, not a single Pakeha or Eurpopean has been allowed a submission on that topic.

Can you give me some info on the rejected Pakeha research?

Reply #34 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:18:01 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1522449
You made a thread whining about how absurd it would be to change the names to Maori using such claims as "noone will be able to say it".
You then went on to agree with a post where someone said if they changed it you would be leaving the country.
You talked about pandering to the Maori and called the Government weak for dealing with Treaty issues.
You also brought up bullshit facts about the Maori not being here first and suggested the word Pakeha means "WHITE PIGS", it doesn't.

1 yeah i possibly changed my mind a little after my intial WTF reaction.

2 - that was a joke.. as he was talking about my forums Handle, i would leave, i am a citezen proud and true and own a house i intend to raise my kinds in here...

3 - MY opionion is they dont deal with it they just keep dishing out more money and land hoping it will go away .. instead of actually dealing with it.

4 = it was what was explained to me, and it seems that when its said it's said in a slandering tone generally, but hey if it's not it's not.

5 = yeah well i was not educated here i grew up in another country so i have only learned from what i have read (some it seems incorrect or mislabled) and from what little i have gleaned from co workers and other over the years, so sorry for not being 100% accurate and being a historiam, didnt realise i was writing a thesis here...

i was simply expressing my initial reaction in a thread.

Reply #35 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:19:59 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1522450
This is nothing to do with the government, just some people bringing it up for discussion, as the Islands have no official name it may be a good time to have a grown up discussion on it. Try not to get your knickers too tight up our self righteous arse

I was meaning cunt

Seems your a bit of an angry little Fella CUNT arent ya...
Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:24:41 pm by Xsannz

Reply #36 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:21:08 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1522453
Can you give me some info on the rejected Pakeha research?

as i said i was quoting a lecturer from the uni, who happened to join in on a conversation my and a guy from work were having.

so no i cannot directly.

Reply #37 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:22:22 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Xsannz;1522454
so sorry for not being 100% accurate and being a historiam, didnt realise i was writing a thesis here...

I'm not a historian but I don't ran around spouting 'facts' about another ethnic group based on information spewing from the mouth of my co-workers.

Quote from: Xsannz;1522456
so no i cannot directly.
Well best not to bring up shit you can't back up, otherwise you just look like a racist dick.
Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:26:39 pm by Bell

Reply #38 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:24:25 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1522457
I'm not a historian but I don't ran around spouting 'facts' about another ethnic group based on information spewing from the mouth of my co-workers.

well generally knowledge is passed via speech and communication, sorry for not running a background check on everything ive been told.

ill note to do that in future and submit it before the GetSome peer group for approval first.....

Reply #39 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:26:27 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Xsannz;1522458
well generally knowledge is passed via speech and communication, sorry for not running a background check on everything ive been told.

ill note to do that in future and submit it before the GetSome peer group for approval first.....

Dude just remember you aren't talking about an iphone or some shit you are talking about an ethnic group, funnily enough running your mouth about these issues with no facts doesn't fly so well. You can do it but as I said you will look like a total dick and a bigot sometimes.

Reply #40 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:28:39 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
fair enough i was ill informed,  as it seems.

the inital thread was supposed to be a little light hearted, something ACULA picked up on, it was more of a WTF reaction to the fact that nobody noticed for this long that we never had official names.

actually having this debate with you bell has been quite eye openeing and entertaining at the same time and via WIKI and some other sites i have had some of my incorrect facts corrected.

Reply #41 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:33:19 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Xsannz;1522442

Cool, I got an asian friend as well (also got a black friend, but i dont think thats relevant here).  So its all g from me as well.

Reply #42 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:39:39 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Xsannz;1522442

Cool, I got an asian friend as well (also got a black friend, but i dont think thats relevant here).  So its all g from me as well.

Reply #43 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:40:05 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.

Reply #44 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:40:12 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: BerG;1522466

nice muscles berg...  

tho i'd see a doctor about the whole neck sprouting out the back of your head there

Reply #45 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:41:54 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
good to hear.
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh I'm much more sensitive to this sort of shit these days.

Reply #46 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:42:11 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Quote from: Bell;1522469
good to hear.
Sorry if I came off a bit harsh I'm much more sensitive to this sort of shit these days.

fair enough.. i guess as we get older we tend to argue shit... i guess i was a little entrenched into what i had been told... without actually ever checking the basis.

that and i am just a grumpy bastard at the moment with a smashed ankle that is slow to heal and broken ribs..  that and the codeine just makes me throw up now instead of actually working.

anyway cheers Bell,  you sound like youd be worth cathing up with for a beer sometime someplace.

Reply #47 Posted: April 03, 2013, 09:45:17 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Xsannz;1522455

I must admit the monkey comment did make me go a little bananas

Reply #48 Posted: April 03, 2013, 10:25:11 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xsannz;1522455

Jeez you're a fucking idiot.

Reply #49 Posted: April 03, 2013, 11:05:33 pm