Topic: Paying for my own Internet

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Normally, I have been the one to dish out ISP/WAN advice, however - my last 2 companies paid for my home internet as part of my perks, so It's been 9 years since I have had to pay for my own internet.

So I'm a little rusty.

Currently am with ICONZ (yes that ICONZ) as they were who my company provided my connection through, but it seems a bit steep $150/mo for Unlimited VDSL - however I genuinely don't know.

So who is good, what are the ball park figures etc.

Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:31:24 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
If you don't need a landline, it's pretty hard to go past BigPipe as the ISP of choice.

Reply #1 Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:34:32 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Landline?

The 1980's called, they want their tech back.

Chur for that Lias, any other recommendations?

Reply #2 Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:37:59 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Had no problems with Spark. Which is weird to say :/

I've had fibre (almost) since they dug up the road to lay it.

Reply #3 Posted: May 24, 2016, 10:57:41 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Spark isn't too bad, and if you want a landline I'd say they are up there (my current flat is with Spark, because landlady is old and likes landline).

Bigpipe is like Skinny. It's part of Spark but it's run by different people, and is focused on the younger tech savvy market. No Call center, only email support, only naked connections etc. But with all the benefits of being part of a huge organisation like Spark.

Reply #4 Posted: May 24, 2016, 11:16:12 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Ok, Sold, will sign up for Big Pipe

Reply #5 Posted: May 24, 2016, 11:22:37 am

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Ok, Sold, will sign up for Big Pipe

Good choice had UFB since they started testing in Auckland and have had no issues at all.

Use my referral code if you haven't signed up already to get us $20 credit :P https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/?referralCode=2c4cd49c-f6ed-4231-9a99-64de47e9e8e7

Reply #6 Posted: May 24, 2016, 08:38:00 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
BigPipe or bust.

My referral code which gets you, and me $20 off - https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/?referralCode=c2521f99-4e24-4d03-9320-cd2b35fd99c2

Reply #7 Posted: May 25, 2016, 01:23:08 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!

Reply #8 Posted: May 25, 2016, 02:12:02 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
lol no one mentions big pipe prices?

I'm not complaining about my $89/mo unlimited 1000/500 fibre connection with snap/2deg. going very well indeed :p

Reply #9 Posted: May 25, 2016, 03:40:30 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
lol no one mentions big pipe prices?

I'm not complaining about my $89/mo unlimited 1000/500 fibre connection with snap/2deg. going very well indeed :p

Fuck you and your gigatown :-P

Reply #10 Posted: May 25, 2016, 04:32:46 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
On a slightly more serious note, outside of Gigatown 2 degrees only offer "up to 100/20" which is $95/month*, Bigpipe is $79 for the equivalent 100/20, and you have the choice of 200/20 and 200/200 at higher price points.

Not to mention you are literally the first person I've heard say positive things about 2 Degrees after they snapped up Snap. I know a LOT of people, particularly in Christchurch who left because the service went completely to shit.

* If you want to sign a 24 month contract, its $59/month for the first 12, then $95, which works out at an average of $77 a month, but locked in for 2 years, or go with Bigpipe and have no contracts.

Reply #11 Posted: May 25, 2016, 04:47:07 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I'm thinking of signing up, $80 for UFB is $15 cheaper then anyone else. And no contract. How can the do it so much cheaper then anyone else?

Use my referral code instead - https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/?referralCode=r11t4rd0-b00t-L1k3s-1tUp-tH3455H0L3

BigPipe or bust.My referral code which gets you, and me $20 off - https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/?referralCode=c2521f99-4e24-4d03-9320-cd2b35fd99c2

Use my referral code if you haven't signed up already to get us $20 credit :P https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/?referralCode=2c4cd49c-f6ed-4231-9a99-64de47e9e8e7

Which one should I use? Give me a reason to use your code.

Reply #12 Posted: May 25, 2016, 05:16:35 pm

Offline Xenolightning

I'm thinking of signing up, $80 for UFB is $15 cheaper then anyone else. And no contract. How can the do it so much cheaper then anyone else?

Use my referral code instead - https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/?referralCode=r11t4rd0-b00t-L1k3s-1tUp-tH3455H0L3

BigPipe or bust.My referral code which gets you, and me $20 off - https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/?referralCode=c2521f99-4e24-4d03-9320-cd2b35fd99c2

Which one should I use? Give me a reason to use your code.
Because my one has a hidden message.

Reply #13 Posted: May 25, 2016, 05:29:19 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
For those with the Bigpipe modem, would you recommend it?

I don't have my own one, it's an orcon one.

Reply #14 Posted: May 25, 2016, 05:41:12 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
They aren't totally terrible for that sort of thing but you can find them on TradeMe a shitload cheaper. Just search "HG659"

Reply #15 Posted: May 25, 2016, 05:49:33 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
I haven't had issues with 2deg, haven't had to ring them for anything though. I signed up with snap, well before the take over so I am on the old snap contract for 2 years, if the charges to up then will prob move, dunno yet.

What I don't get with national plans, is the low upload speeds, when they can be in excess of 400 Mb/s yet the retards give you 10/20/30 as a main upload and promote it as an awesome speed.

A letter from vodafone came in the mail a few weeks ago saying fibre is in our area... couldn't believe it, I've had it for well over a year now :/

Reply #16 Posted: May 25, 2016, 06:36:57 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Because my one has a hidden message.

Holy shit that's smooth!

They aren't totally terrible for that sort of thing but you can find them on TradeMe a shitload cheaper. Just search "HG659"

I'm using a Spark HG630b and it works great (paid $40). I'm in a small house so I've no issues with the wifi connecting to everything but it's been a bitch with Plex. I'm not sure if it's just with Plex or with media servers in general (can't get any consoles to connect to Plex Media Server despite making an initial attempt). I'm hoping asking BigPipe for a static IP will solve things. Until then I'm having to use Google's public DNS just to stand the server up with sub users.

Reply #17 Posted: May 25, 2016, 11:54:51 pm

I signed up to Bigpipe.

Bit annoyed with Orcon (after many years good service), send me a letter in January saying they have to increase there prices to cover their costs, increased our plan from $95 to $99

4 months later, they are still advertising the same plan on their homepage at $95

Reply #18 Posted: May 26, 2016, 02:42:28 pm

Was trying to buy a modem on Trademe, however kept missing out because I was outbid all the time, and was not getting any email notifications.

Turns out I had blocked the Trademe email a while back, because of all the spam they were sending me.

They have a ridiculous number of email preferences, which all default to on.

Reply #19 Posted: June 01, 2016, 07:41:25 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Landline?

The 1980's called, they want their tech back.

Chur for that Lias, any other recommendations?
I find it interesting that most (ALL) the people I know with a landline get spammed with "Tech Support India - Your computer has a virus!" phone calls.

As for BigPipe, they're great! $79 unlimited. There doesnt appear to be a cap on speed either which seems strange.

Strangely satisfying that is!

Reply #20 Posted: March 28, 2019, 12:06:40 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Lias

• Administrator

As for BigPipe, they're great! $79 unlimited. There doesnt appear to be a cap on speed either which seems strange.

Strangely satisfying that is!

I don't believe any of the ISP's, certainly not the major ones, have any form of throttling or capping these days. There is still potential back end contention obviously because you are not paying for a CIR, but if it's available you can use it.

Reply #21 Posted: March 28, 2019, 12:39:03 pm

Offline Pigdog

• Just settled in
  • Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!Pigdog has great potential!
Come to Australia where you can pay $200 a month for a big burly motherfucker to come around and fuck you in the ass and pull your router out twice a day. We get ultra-fast broadband that can download an image of Lias's tits in 45 hours.

Reply #22 Posted: April 25, 2019, 02:18:51 pm