Topic: An iOS fans journey into the world of Android

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Three days on, and I can feel a very slight feeling of pride when looking at the S2.

Its different. Its not perfectly stable, and it doesnt 'just work'.

But it sure is pretty, isnt it?

Not to mention, after changing to Litenight Rom my battery is now at 61% after a full day of use. My only gripe, other than shitty car chargers, is this:

When you are in the keyboard, say typing in a username for a website login, how do you 'tab' to the next input box? (ie password). On iOS, there was always a 'next' box on the keyboard.

Reply #25 Posted: September 06, 2011, 07:27:33 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: BerG;1418447
When you are in the keyboard, say typing in a username for a website login, how do you 'tab' to the next input box? (ie password). On iOS, there was always a 'next' box on the keyboard.

What keyboard are you using? There is a next on the "android" one , but not on the swype one i am using now.

Reply #26 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:19:58 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
^ Get swype, it provides the 'next ' box. Its also is THE best way of 'typing' anything fast. You can sign up for the beta, and get it free. In saying that I thought Samsung's came stock with swype.

Reply #27 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:20:03 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
I used swype for about 20 seconds and didnt like it. Currently using smart keyboard. Maybe I'll try Swype again.

Reply #28 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:25:04 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
you'll learn to love it. I wasn't a fan at first either. I'll never tap-type again

Reply #29 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:28:04 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Mmm I got no next box with Swype. Just an 'enter' arrow which will take me to the next line.

And I think the S2's screen is too big for Swype. Need two hands in landscape.
Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:35:35 pm by BerG

Reply #30 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:33:08 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Yeah, you're right. Looks as though it only works in some cases. Oh well :)

If you are using two hands, hold the phone in one hand. Swype with the other.
Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:38:35 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #31 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:35:11 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
yeah it seems to be vary, which is a shame

Reply #32 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:36:08 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: toofast;1418466
What keyboard are you using? There is a next on the "android" one , but not on the swype one i am using now.

Did anyone read what i said.

Reply #33 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:46:05 pm

Offline Xenolightning

Quote from: toofast;1418491
Did anyone read what i said.
No.

In saying that my post was meant for berg, you just snuck in before me. Also it does exist on swype, even if its not on your 'one'.

Reply #34 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:52:11 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Sorry toofast.

What is the 'android' keyboard?

I cant believe we dont have this next button.

Its unpossible.

Reply #35 Posted: September 06, 2011, 08:53:50 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
I have TAB key on my Android, right next to the A key....but then I do have a keyboard

Steve Jobs didn't want a keyboard so why should you? Makes emailing with full punctuation a synch - having that made me sell my netbook as it made it redundant.[H][/H]

Reply #36 Posted: September 06, 2011, 09:02:57 pm
- badfox

Offline toofast

• Addicted
The default keyboard which comes with android (which may or may not be installed on the rom you get from factory). You can hold down the text entry, and choose input method. Then there should be an option called android keyboard.

Possibly this will have it. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.moo.android.inputmethod.latin.free&hl=en

Also xeno, i guess i meant for the swype beta.

Reply #37 Posted: September 06, 2011, 09:07:03 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

One week on, and I've been penetrating deep into the galaxy's innards.

The phone is custom rommed, rooted, odexed, deodexed, zipaligned and a whole bunch of other stuff that I dont understand.

Yet after all that....the phone still sucks. Its not smooth enough. Its not pretty enough. Its really not even customizable enough due to lack of activator and even lack of powerful, easy to use profile apps (tasker was WTF!? in the brief time I looked at it). I just dont like it.

One of my biggest gripes is texting. There is no good SMS app for Android. I have tried all the ones that are 'apparently' the best, and they just dont match BiteSMS for iOS. Even ChompSMS, MADE BY THE BITESMS TEAM, sucks. Why do all Android apps have to look so ugly? Why is there so much clutter? I'm guessing its to do with having to makes apps that deal with the differing screen sizes/resolutions of all the different Android powered phones, as the stock Samsung apps are the best looking I've found. Another example are notes apps. After installing a custom ROM I lost Samsungs excellent memo app. No problem, I'll get one on the market. Well I ended up trying about 15, and they all sucked. Either too complex (I JUST WANT TO WRITE NOTES NOT SYNC WITH GOOGLE ETC), too ugly, or both and more.

You may call me some girly iPhone user who should appreciate functionality more than looks. But as with my games, I also prefer my apps too look good. Especially being used to the very well polished iOS world.

The phone crashes or becomes unresponsive at least once a day. Probably to do with my custom ROM, but I work a 14 hour day and cant be bothered fixing it for now. But it does enrage me.

It manages to make at least one phone call a day to random contacts while in my pocket, even with the stock lock screen enabled. I have no idea how.

Most businesses do not have an official Android app like they do on iOS (subway etc), another annoyance.

And of course the lack of accessories. It enrages me having to plug a cable into the phone when I get it the car because there is no such thing as a Galaxy S2 car charging dock.

So to all the people out there on a jailbroken, heavily modified iOS who is considering switching to Android (actually just you solman), I would say, dont. The only thing you are missing out on are a large selection of live wallpapers, custom keyboards, and some pretty yet largely useless home screen widgets. The Marketplace is shit, there is a large amount of incompatibility, and it doesnt appear to be regionalised, so I have to read reviews from Americans (not much use when looking at a weather app etc).  I have given Android a fair chance by purchasing what is considered the best Android phone, and it sucks. It feels cheap, it seems slower than an iPhone 4, it has shit battery life, and most infuriatingly, it lags slightly in loading the lock screen after pressing a hardware button when trying to unlock.

Reply #38 Posted: September 15, 2011, 07:25:06 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Would you consider going back to iPhone?

Reply #39 Posted: September 15, 2011, 07:30:58 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

I will definitely go back to iPhone when the iPhone 5 is released.

Reply #40 Posted: September 15, 2011, 07:34:50 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
TBH I don't think the SGS is the best android phone and I personally don't like the cheap feel of it, top tier, but not the best.

Reply #41 Posted: September 15, 2011, 10:13:54 pm
- badfox

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
That's what I have heard time and time again.

Feels horrible. Specs are pretty up there but it's put together rather cheaply.

I hate to say it, but the iPhone 4 is the best looking cellphone. Not sure about how it works as I've never used a 4th gen one before.

Reply #42 Posted: September 16, 2011, 11:12:58 am

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
I chose the desire hd because it's heavy, hope that helps

Reply #43 Posted: September 16, 2011, 11:17:07 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

Just remember my 'review' is from a long time iOS user, to other long time iOS users. If you have always owned Android, or have never owned a smartphone, Android may be the better option as you wont be used to the 'perfection' that is jailbroken iOS ;)

Reply #44 Posted: September 16, 2011, 12:02:15 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Front paged because I hadn't seen this, and was a good read. ty BerG.

Reply #45 Posted: September 16, 2011, 12:21:56 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline toofast

• Addicted
Quote from: RetardoBot;1422426
That's what I have heard time and time again.

Feels horrible. Specs are pretty up there but it's put together rather cheaply.

I hate to say it, but the iPhone 4 is the best looking cellphone. Not sure about how it works as I've never used a 4th gen one before.

Yea android phones still haven't cracked the top market well. I mean they are churning out quality stuff, but the fact you develop for so much hardware, means you can't make specific tweaks for the high end stuff. Which is half the reason most the factory apps run the best, and the UI is so slick.

Reply #46 Posted: September 16, 2011, 12:45:08 pm

Offline Mr_St1nky

• Addicted
  • Mr_St1nky has no influence.
Quote from: ;
I've gone from an HTC Wildfire to a Galaxy 2 so I haven't been tainted by iOS. I don't have many issues with the samsung, design wise the only thing I miss is a notification light on the front of the phone when I have notifications but the screen is off. Have to press a button to see that.  Samsung requires a lot more start up configuration, like in the OP, double space will put a fullstop in only after you set it to do it. I prefer my Android Galaxy 2 simply because alot of my clients have issues with getting their iPhones and Blackberry's to do simple shit, and my Galaxy doesn't have any issues doing it out of the box. (i.e blackberry's not receiving calendar invites from iPhones, but my Galaxy sends and receives invites just fine.)

Reply #47 Posted: September 16, 2011, 02:55:01 pm

Offline 9unk

• Just settled in
  • 9unk has no influence.
Quote from: ;

Just had a read through this. Find me on appbrain.com 9unk is my username..... Uhm for sms I use handcent. My favourite keyboard is the gingerbread. It has tab and double space = full stop. I'm a little concerned at your comments that it is slow compared to iphone 4... I've got an HTC hero which is an oldish android phone but it was all I could afford. I've rooted it and installed a custom rom and its working alright.If you're looking for a good custom rom super stable etc. Look at http://www.villainrom.co.uk as out of all the roms I tried for my hero it was firstly the most stable/fastest/least buggy roms. I've spent many hours fiddling with my android and you do need far too much time to get it to exactly how you want it... However... after you have had one android phone and then move to your next one you'll be able to do everything much quicker. Nice to see the review/thoughts and cheers for putting it on front page Arsey.

Reply #48 Posted: September 18, 2011, 05:22:03 pm
=] IRBS [=
=]BF3[=

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: 9unk;1423252
I've spent many hours fiddling with my android and you do need far too much time to get it to exactly how you want it... However... after you have had one android phone and then move to your next one you'll be able to do everything much quicker. Nice to see the review/thoughts and cheers for putting it on front page Arsey.

What you've said here is exactly the thing about Android that both frustrates me and excites me. I dislike that I have to work like a developer to my hardware working to the point I want it at, but yet it also excites me that I can do that work, and be rewarded hugely for not only the current handset, but likely many in the future. It is also a thought I have about Tablets, and my iPad vs. Android Tab argument with myself continues to rage lol.

Reply #49 Posted: September 18, 2011, 05:27:59 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!