Topic: Cheap solution: HDMi input.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Hey guys,

Is there a cheap solution to allow HDMi input via my PC? Is there an HDMi to USB converter (+ software I'm assuming) available that will allow me to plug an HDMi device (Xbox, PS3 etc) into my PC and allow me to use my PC monitor to run the device?

My screen has DVI and I have an HDMi to DVI converter which works, but I have no way of getting audio from my screen (it has no 3.5mm jack).

Ideas?

Posted: February 21, 2013, 07:36:23 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
actually RII even better.

Dvi - hdmi plug i use one with an old non hdmi monitor

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/P1204/adapter-hdmi-socket-dvi-plug-converter

DVI and HDMI as the same standard just different connectors the newer hdmi and dvi allow sound through the use of an additional 4 pins (same plug)  just extra pins to the right hand side.

the one i linked is suitable for most.  although you may or may not get audio depending.

hmm just re-read requirements.. you need to fins and adaptor that supports the audio.. this may be harder than you think..  just get some cheap nasty speakers and use the analogue audio
Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:52:39 pm by Xsannz

Reply #1 Posted: February 21, 2013, 07:42:24 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Use the old school av output cable for sound whilst using the hdmi to dvi converter, apparently that works.

Pedro has you covered.

Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:54:10 pm by deanox

Reply #2 Posted: February 21, 2013, 07:51:19 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: deanox;1518682
Use the old school av output cable for sound whilst using the hdmi to dvi converter, apparently that works.

Pedro has you covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6uF7hYSA8Q

probably because  
(it has no 3.5mm jack).

Reply #3 Posted: February 21, 2013, 08:02:48 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
He can plug directly to computer speaker/stereo bypassing the monitor all together. Monitor sound is balls, just an idea.
Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:08:18 pm by deanox

Reply #4 Posted: February 21, 2013, 08:06:06 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
On an xbox, just use the av cable for sound.

Reply #5 Posted: February 21, 2013, 08:30:28 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518691
On an xbox, just use the av cable for sound.

Here's the issue.

When the HDMi plug is plugged into the console, I'm unable to plug in the whopping great big plug that has the RGB + audio cables, and vice versa. So I can't run HDMi + the av cables for audio, it's one or the other.

Reply #6 Posted: February 21, 2013, 09:01:11 pm

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
run an optical cable for sound, I am pretty sure that still runs when HDMI is plugged in

Reply #7 Posted: February 21, 2013, 09:10:49 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1518698
Here's the issue.

When the HDMi plug is plugged into the console, I'm unable to plug in the whopping great big plug that has the RGB + audio cables, and vice versa. So I can't run HDMi + the av cables for audio, it's one or the other.

Quote from: nevjmac;1518699
run an optical cable for sound, I am pretty sure that still runs when HDMI is plugged in

Retardobot is right. The genius engineers who designed the xbox did so in a way where you can't plug the HDMI in at the same time as audio (optical and analog). The RGB audio plug physically blocks the hdmi port, however I think the newest version doesn't have this problem.

I had the same problem, wanted to use HDMI to my TV, and optical to my stereo. Instead I had to use component for the TV.

Saying that, would a DVI to Component Video Adapter work?
http://sewelldirect.com/dvivideoadapter.asp

Kevin might sell them on trademe.
Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:10:22 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #8 Posted: February 22, 2013, 08:06:51 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Shit, that that may work.

Thanks for the suggestion, Monkey.

Reply #9 Posted: February 22, 2013, 10:17:50 am

Offline 5loth

• Addicted
  • 5loth has no influence.
I had the same problem years back, removed the plastic shroud around the connector for the AV cable, then they both fit.

Reply #10 Posted: February 22, 2013, 11:06:14 am
sila.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: 5loth;1518751
I had the same problem years back, removed the plastic shroud around the connector for the AV cable, then they both fit.

You are god.

Thanks.

Reply #11 Posted: February 22, 2013, 11:22:38 am

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
I used to take off the plastic shroud as well but I eventually gave in and got a Xbox to RCA audio cable from dx.com

Reply #12 Posted: February 23, 2013, 10:31:31 am