Topic: iPad retina v xperia z tablet.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Tablet for the family. (me, wife, 6 & 4yo)

The iPad, it works, the screen is beautiful and it's a tough build. The OS is simple and easy for my kids to grasp and use. Battery 9-10 hours.

Xperia, it's waterproof! It's android.....  slightly larger screen but lower rez (1920x1200) battery 8-10 hours, built well also.

So on paper they are both pretty similar, the 2 big differences being Retina and waterproof. I like both OS's the custimisation of Android is a bonus but in all reality won't be done for a family device.

I am leaning towards the iPad purely because of the OS and ease of use. Is there something kitkat is bringing to the table that should really make me consider the xperia tablet or should I just go with a cheaper Galaxy tab 3 or something?

Posted: September 17, 2013, 09:20:52 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I almost picked up an Xperia Z tablet when I was in the States.

Such a beautiful device. I love the build design of the Xperia Z product line.

Reply #1 Posted: September 17, 2013, 09:40:47 am

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
Android has some pretty neat stuff with accounts these days.

Can make it so kid can't download/install apps. I believe you can also make it so they can only run certain apps.

I haven't looked into it that much (I have no need to do it) so I don't know much about it and IOS might already have something like this.

Reply #2 Posted: September 17, 2013, 09:49:47 am
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I think IOS have JUST started to implement restrictions on in-app purchases as kids were running rampant on their parents credit cards without knowing it.

Reply #3 Posted: September 17, 2013, 09:54:26 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
You can force iPad to require password for every purchase or disable it, much like android. That's been in there for as long as I have been using iPads.

Does a purchase on Gplay store limited to 1 device or is it across multiple devices? eg phone & tablet for games & apps?

Reply #4 Posted: September 17, 2013, 10:04:53 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I've been using the same Google Store account across multiple devices (tablets, phones etc.) and have brought all my apps with me from day one.

I've never used the account more than once at the same time though.

Reply #5 Posted: September 17, 2013, 10:38:23 am

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
Quote from: Growler;1531702
Does a purchase on Gplay store limited to 1 device or is it across multiple devices? eg phone & tablet for games & apps?

Can use it across multiple devices. But some apps have a tablet version (better for higher res) which you have to buy them again (swiftkey is a app I had to buy twice).

Reply #6 Posted: September 17, 2013, 10:40:55 am
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Brought a Z for work last month - the ability to rinse the screen off is very nice. No more grubby finger marks. Also very nice to use - much quicker than the Nexus 7 that we left in Hong Kong (doh!).

Reply #7 Posted: September 17, 2013, 11:08:20 am
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline SmiLinSniPeR

• Addicted
  • SmiLinSniPeR has no influence.
If you go the Ipad route i suggest getting a Griffin survivor case for it, I have a 5 year old son that is autistic and can be very rough with his and it hasn't even got a scratch on it :)

He has thrown it, stood on it, dropped it from the top bunk of his bed and no issues at all.

Reply #8 Posted: September 17, 2013, 04:17:01 pm

Offline EnjoyTheSauce

• Devoted Member
  • EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.EnjoyTheSauce is working their way up.
Have a Xperia Z aswell. Very pretty device. Great build quality. Runs well. Hard to compare it to other devices as its the first tablet I've owned.

Reply #9 Posted: September 17, 2013, 11:33:04 pm
Related to *juice*. The Orz like *sauce*, which they seem to acquire through killing: "After the *dancing*, Orz think you will make good *special sauce*. Maybe even for other Orz *party*." It would seem this is likely to be something sinister. The Orz apparently wish those who take part in *parties* to enjoy the *sauce*, as in the above quote, or in their parting words from random encounters: "Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*."