Topic: What's Tor?

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
I've been following this whole #TheDayWeFightBack stuff (refer here for those not following for a good AMA on reddit) and one of the things that seems to be common in amongst the discussions is Tor, and how we should be using it.

Anyone use it? And anyone able to give a bit of an explanation (both layman and technical would be good)?

Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:27:12 am
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
As I understand it allows you to send encrypted traffic through a worldwide, volunteer network, so that no one can see what you are doing.

It's great if you're in one of those countries which control the flow of information on the internet, like China or Egypt.

I heard it's also great for things like leaking of sensitive information, copyright infringement, distributing illegal sexual content, selling illegal drugs, money laundering, credit card fraud, and identity theft.

Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:55:56 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #1 Posted: February 12, 2014, 11:51:27 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Yeah people use it to get onto "the deep web". Basically encrypted sites that contain nasty things. You can get someone killed for 10k cash upfront, and 10k after the deed is done, as long as they're no one important. There were children sites... etc etc. Not that i've been on those, there was something called "The hidden wiki" which had links to known "deep web" websites. I possibly shouldn't have mentioned that, and if someone wants me to remove it, just pm and ask.

You may have heard of Silk road being shut down recently. The guy who ran it was an australian, and it was pretty much drugs for bit coins. I heard when the cops tried to arrest him, he tried / possibly did kill someone. I think after this incident though, the american gov. tried to take down as many of these hidden sites as possible.

And from what I know, It sends your data through other computers running tor, so it becomes a big chain of computers with thousands of different ip's. It's not untrackable, but they won't bother unless you're doing something very bad.

I know one guy who uses it when ever he goes on the old 4ch...org because he's that much of a privacy nut. IIRC it's very slow, so I don't know why you'd even bother.

It's pretty much a million proxies.

Reply #2 Posted: February 12, 2014, 03:40:00 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I use it to look at naked pictures of Kayne's mum.

Reply #3 Posted: February 12, 2014, 03:48:30 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!

I'd look at pictures of yours but she keeps saying "No pictures Kayne" ;)

Reply #4 Posted: February 12, 2014, 06:13:51 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!

I'd look at pictures of yours but she keeps saying "No pictures Kayne" ;)

KGO!

Reply #5 Posted: February 13, 2014, 10:18:33 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
What is Tor?
Internet for kiddie fiddlers.

Reply #6 Posted: February 15, 2014, 10:42:59 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
It's great if you're in one of those countries which control the flow of information on the internet, like China or Egypt.
Or New Zealand, Australia, UK, US, Canada...

All the things you mentioned as the terrible things that TOR is for are freaking ridiculous. They happen on the web all the time. The upsides, freedom of speech and assisting those living under oppressive regimes for example, are exceedingly valuable to a free society.

And copyright infringement over TOR? lol.

Fun fact: TOR was originally developed with funds provided by the US government and is still funded by the US government, though to a lesser degree.

Reply #7 Posted: February 15, 2014, 01:58:10 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Designed for secure military communications iirc.
Used by kiddiefiddling senators instead.

Reply #8 Posted: February 22, 2014, 11:07:40 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Designed for secure military communications iirc.
Nope, it was created to enable activists and dissidents in "undemocratic" countries to communicate. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense for the military (though could arguably have been developed for spooks).

Reply #9 Posted: February 23, 2014, 01:54:00 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Pyromanik

Hmm, dunno where I read that, but I did.

Just another one of those awesome 'facts' one finds on the interwebs I guess. It was probably origined at some fantastically realistic news site like FOX, trying to explain govt. investment.

Reply #10 Posted: February 23, 2014, 11:24:47 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
It is a waste of time, and only hides so much of what you do, while you do it at 1/3 of the speed of your already slow internet provider.

Reply #11 Posted: February 25, 2014, 11:26:46 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.