Topic: HDD is getting checkdisk'd - concerning?

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Is Checkdisk running a sign of dead drive to come? It's a non-OS drive, but not really one I want to lose (is any drive one you want to lose).

The drive keeps failing back up (on read, not write to the remote location), and on a few recent start ups it's been shitting itself to Checkdisk. Any ideas dudes?

Posted: February 17, 2014, 06:43:41 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Is Checkdisk running a sign of dead drive to come? It's a non-OS drive, but not really one I want to lose (is any drive one you want to lose).

The drive keeps failing back up (on read, not write to the remote location), and on a few recent start ups it's been shitting itself to Checkdisk. Any ideas dudes?

Not necessarily, CHKDSK can be initiated by the OS, and may/may not have anything to do with the drive.

Run a SMART Scan / Health Check.

I've used http://hddscan.com/ in the past, seems to work quite well.

Reply #1 Posted: February 17, 2014, 08:43:32 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I highly recommend http://www.hdsentinel.com/

I recommend it so much I actually own a legal 5 copy license for it.. and it's.. rare... I pay for application software..

Reply #2 Posted: February 17, 2014, 10:18:43 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!

Not necessarily, CHKDSK can be initiated by the OS, and may/may not have anything to do with the drive.

Run a SMART Scan / Health Check.

I've used http://hddscan.com/ in the past, seems to work quite well.

Hdd scan has confirmed a shit ton of bad blocks on the Drive, and it hasn't even finished yet...

Will grab HD Sentinel and have a look too Lias.

Looks like it's ebay time... *sigh*

Reply #3 Posted: February 17, 2014, 10:23:04 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Will grab HD Sentinel and have a look too Lias.

Looks like it's ebay time... *sigh*

HDSentinel will just tell you its fucked some more.

Copy anything VITAL off the drive asap, then power it down until you have sufficient alternative storage to attempt to copy EVERYTYHING left on it off.

Reply #4 Posted: February 17, 2014, 10:26:58 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
FWIW, where HDSentinel really comes into its own is the monitoring. It will sit in the tray, and just annoy you when a drive overheats or its health starts dropping. Most drives will degrade slowly and at the first sign of trouble replace drive and RMA/bin depending on age. You will always get the odd catastrophic failure it cant predict but it's saved my ass and my data a few times. Should also have backups but you get lazy and forget to do them etc.

Reply #5 Posted: February 17, 2014, 10:30:10 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Well, if you want to see a report of a whole lot of bad sectors, refer attached. HD Sentinel reported it at 47% health.

Fortunately, it's only my Steam Drive, so I'll just try to back up the "common" folder and hope for the best. Otherwise it's just a whole lot of bandwidth to use over time (or at LAN) to get everything up to date again lol. I've jumped on ebay, and there are some white label 1TB VelociRaptors for USD$150, so I'm going to grab one of those. Especially given it's almost half the price of the same drive in NZ...

Reply #6 Posted: February 18, 2014, 12:11:24 am

Offline SmiLinSniPeR

• Addicted
  • SmiLinSniPeR has no influence.
Just grab the steamapps folder arsey that will keep all your games in tact.

Then reinstall steam and dump folder back and done.

Reply #7 Posted: February 18, 2014, 09:52:29 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Just grab the steamapps folder arsey that will keep all your games in tact.

Then reinstall steam and dump folder back and done.
Yeah, The other shit in the steamaapps folder is not very big to re-download again, so I just went with the subfolder of common as that has most of the stuff in it. The drive is dropping nuts everywhere, as I've had to "Try Again" about 50 times already on various files and they eventually transfer across.

Reply #8 Posted: February 18, 2014, 10:02:43 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Try this:

Open up a command prompt, type (change the paths to the relevant ones for you)
xcopy "c:\path to my steam folder\common" "d:\path to my new drive\steamapps\common" /y /e /s /c /h /r

That should copy everything and continue on error.

Reply #9 Posted: February 18, 2014, 10:12:55 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Try this:

Open up a command prompt, type (change the paths to the relevant ones for you)
xcopy "c:\path to my steam folder\common" "d:\path to my new drive\steamapps\common" /y /e /s /c /h /r

That should copy everything and continue on error.
Fucking of course, why didn't I think of that!

Yep - xcopy underway now, thank Lias!

For reference for anyone who finds this later in life, this was my final command line that is running:

xcopy "G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\*.*" "\\NAS\Backups\Steam Backup\" /y /e /s /c /h /r /z

EDIT: Added a /z for network dropout to NAS, and also for percentage transferred.
Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:16:00 pm by Arseynimz

Reply #10 Posted: February 18, 2014, 10:31:46 am

Codex

I recommend it so much I actually own a legal 5 copy license for it.. and it's.. rare... I pay for application software..

This this this this

This app is god.

If below 100% replace the drive.

Reply #11 Posted: February 18, 2014, 11:25:43 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!

This this this this

This app is god.

If below 100% replace the drive.

Code: [Select]
if Alex < 100%
then Alex.replace()
endif

Reply #12 Posted: February 18, 2014, 12:23:26 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-