Topic: Old games that used to float your boat?

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1462924
I also can't believe no one has mentioned Cannon Fodder or Cannon Fodder 2?

Recheck second page. winfields mentioned it. On that page is dig dug.

I also thrashed cannon fodder. It was boss.
and I can't believe no one has mentioned Jetpack yet.

Which still lives.

Infact the chappy who owns it is making Jetpack2... although it's in flash :(

Also on my fantastic timewaster list:
Skyroads
ugh
Hugo's House of Horrors

Can't believe no one has mentioned a *Quest yet. This must be what getting old feels like :(
Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:51:02 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #75 Posted: January 19, 2012, 07:37:48 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Nostalgia'd hard at Hugo's House of Horror.

Fuck you, Pyro.

Reply #76 Posted: January 19, 2012, 07:57:25 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
The second one was hard as fuck, Hugo's Whodunnit. Especially the bit where the fuck'n Dalek turns up and chases you around.

Third one was cool. Hugo's Adventure iirc. The one with the planecrash in the jungle anyhow.

Newer games include:
Duke3D
Warcraft 2
Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:08:23 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #77 Posted: January 19, 2012, 08:06:16 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I remember not liking the second one, like it confused the hell out of me and didn't really bother with it.

I do remember the plane crash and remember loving the shit out of it.

Reply #78 Posted: January 19, 2012, 08:08:16 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeh, second one was awkward as fuck. I remember getting a walkthrough for it and still not being able to finish it.

Reply #79 Posted: January 19, 2012, 08:44:51 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
any body remember Police Quest

http://www.thehouseofgames.net/index.php?t=10&id=183

made by good old sierra studios
Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:48:26 pm by Xsannz

Reply #80 Posted: January 19, 2012, 08:46:25 pm

Offline Cowwie

• Just settled in
  • Cowwie has no influence.
Quote from: Xsannz;1463011

Never could get into it, loved Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders tho.

Reply #81 Posted: January 19, 2012, 09:34:30 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1462986
Can't believe no one has mentioned a *Quest yet. This must be what getting old feels like :(

Quote from: Xsannz;1463011
This is where Nostalgia has let the two of you down.

The quest games were TERRIBLE. You died. You died a whole lot. You died and you died and you died and the game laughed at you for dying, like it was your fault.

This was before you could download a walk through.

You died in Police Quest when you approached the wrong side of the car. Seirra studios and all the Quest games hated you. Dont ever forget that.

And do you have fond memories of "Beneath a Steel Sky"?

I remember playing for ten hours before being killed by a giant spider near the end for hanging around too long in an area trying to figure out what to do.

The last time I had saved was four hours before hand.

Reply #82 Posted: January 19, 2012, 09:56:45 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1463025

I remember that, police quest 3, i still have the floppies. If you didn't walk around your car before you got in the first time you drive, you failed, and if you didn't save, you had to start the entire game again. Same thing for running red lights without your sirens on, but putting sirens on makes your car go extremely fast.

The incredible Machine has always been a favourite game of mine aswell

Reply #83 Posted: January 19, 2012, 11:19:47 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline 5tacK

• Addicted
  • 5tacK has no influence.
I'm so glad I didn't have a computer as a kid. Those games all look like shit, but I probably would be O-face over them as well.

Reply #84 Posted: January 19, 2012, 11:28:12 pm
[INDENT]
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Click here to join our MAV Riding Platoon
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: 5tacK;1463047
I'm so glad I didn't have a computer as a kid. Those games all look like shit.

vs

I certainly know which game was better.
Spoiler :

HOT DAMN!!

Reply #85 Posted: January 20, 2012, 02:32:33 am

Offline 5tacK

• Addicted
  • 5tacK has no influence.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/5tack/billy-yeah-rightcopy.png
Old games that used to float your boat?

Reply #86 Posted: January 20, 2012, 02:56:40 am
[INDENT]
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Click here to join our MAV Riding Platoon
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Offline ILoveMescaline

• I Posted!
  • ILoveMescaline has no influence.
Wow, some of these posts really take me back! Crystal caves, golden axe, Cosmo's cosmic adventure, Wing Commander, Kings Quest....Funny how much I enjoyed some of those old games. Almost makes me a bit sad that I'll never play games like them again.

Here's 2 more games that some may have played: Dr Brain & Biomenace.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6848[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6849[/ATTACH]

Reply #87 Posted: January 20, 2012, 12:25:14 pm

Minecraft: JLB222

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
and of course who can forget all the Lucas Art SCUMM classics:

The Dig,
Day of the Tentacle
The Curse of Monkey Island
Sam and Max hit the Road
Full throttle

so much time of my youth waster

Reply #88 Posted: January 20, 2012, 01:17:44 pm

Offline [rEc] NONAME

• Just settled in
  • [rEc] NONAME has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1463065

vs

Spoiler :

i remember redneck rampage,was badass :) had good soundtrack on it as well

Reply #89 Posted: January 20, 2012, 02:49:56 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1463025

The quest games were TERRIBLE.

Oh, you assume too much Tiwa!
I said I can't believe no one has mentioned one of them yet.
I myself never played any of them, I just remember them being quite popular back in the day.

Quote from: `Kayne;1463042
The incredible Machine has always been a favourite game of mine aswell

Ah yes, I knew there was something I was missing!

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1463065

I'm on you like stink on shit.
Great novelty factor, shit game.

Just browsing through GOG.com and Syndicate jumped out at me.
Back on my mates Amiga 500... that game was so boss it owned us every time.

Commandos, I remember SO MANY HOURS sunk into that game!!

Quote from: Pyromanik;1462986
cannon fodder
Jetpack
Skyroads
ugh
Hugo's House of Horrors
Quote from: Pyromanik;1462998
Duke3D
Warcraft 2
Descent
Earthworm Jim
Heroes of Might and Magic
Postal 2
Myst
Sim City 2000
Total Annihilation
Quake 2 (I played Quake too, but wasn't so fanatical about it)
Rick Dangerous
Rick Dangerous 2

I also remember an Indiana Jones game, and a Return of the Jedi game that I've never been able to find since. (on Amiga).
Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:14:29 am by Pyromanik

Reply #90 Posted: January 21, 2012, 09:31:53 am

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
And out of left field one ... Microsoft's Close Combat series, a bunch of strategy games set in WW2 that got better with every iteration.

Reply #91 Posted: January 22, 2012, 04:51:42 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Yeah boyy!

Reply #92 Posted: January 22, 2012, 08:04:47 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
^ I can remember so clearly the tune my computer used to make through the speaker at the bottom of the case. It's actually kind of stuck in my head now...

Reply #93 Posted: January 22, 2012, 09:00:20 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Ranger Bob

• Just settled in
  • Ranger Bob has no influence.
yeah i'm going to be showing my age here but

Atari 800xl (yes many fond memories when i was 4)
Montezuma's revenge
Dandy dungeon
World champion karate
where in the world is carmen sandiego
Spy vs Spy
Spyhunter

Arcade
Streetfighter 2

Super Nintendo
Yoshi's island

N64
Goldeneye (will always be my Highest ranked FPS EVER)
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time
Mario Kart64
Mario64

Playstation
Final Fantasy 8

PC
Doom
Lemmings
Sim city
Kings quest collection
Rainbow 6
Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:18:54 pm by Ranger Bob

Reply #94 Posted: January 31, 2012, 08:52:58 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Ranger Bob;1465400
yeah i'm going to be showing my age here but

Atari 800xl (yes many fond memories when i was 4)
Dandee dungeon
Dandy.

DANDY!!!!

I HATE YOU DANDY!!

Reply #95 Posted: January 31, 2012, 11:22:43 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
So many good memories from this thread....

Those child and early teen years of going round to friends houses / having friends round to my house and playing them on PC.  Especially during winter.  Being stuck inside in standard 2, playing carmen san diego at lunchtime. Zork, HHGTG, Empire, Rogue, Elite, on my friend's monochrome XT.  Endless trading and borrowing of the "Quest" games (Hero Quest / Quest for Glory being the most fun, in retrospect maybe the first RPG I played?).  Being super jealous of Wolfenstein on my friends VGA computer (my EGA computer just couldn't hack it).  F19 Stealthfighter, getting F117A Stealth Fighter for my birthday (only to find it was the VGA version - the EGA version was sold separately).  Stuck at my grandmothers for 2 weeks, played Starflight 2 on her PC. Staying at grandads and playing Railroad Tycoon on his much faster machine.  Shorting out my 80286 12 mhz, which lead to a 80386 25mhz, SWOTL ran great.  Then came Dune 2, lemmings at intermediate during more rainy lunch times.  Star Control 2 - my taste in music has never been the same.  Saving up from weekend jobs - first computer that was mine not the family's, played XCOM and then CnC.    

[/soppy eyed brain dump]

Time to stop procrastinating....

Reply #96 Posted: January 31, 2012, 11:24:07 pm

Offline Ranger Bob

• Just settled in
  • Ranger Bob has no influence.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1465512
Dandy.

DANDY!!!!

I HATE YOU DANDY!!

Haha good to see i'm not the only one who knows what it was, i have a Rom of it also :p

Reply #97 Posted: February 01, 2012, 11:28:58 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Jesus, this is like a group of old men sitting around reminiscing about when they were lads... but anyway, spent many a rainy day playing IK+, Ultima 5, and Bards Tale 3 on the c64 as a lad. Oh and Rally Speedway, top speed 200mph in icy conditions = lol. Enjoyed Underwurld. And there was some weird ass game called Trolly Wally that became an obsession for my friends and I as it was so damned hard it was near impossible. Druid was cool, and Druid 2. And off course Gauntlet at the arcade. Then things went 16bit.

But I still think that the most impressive game ever was Doom. The game was visually and aurally spectacular for it's day.

Reply #98 Posted: February 01, 2012, 12:48:06 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: dirtyape;1465580
Jesus, this is like a group of old men sitting around reminiscing about when they were lads.
Good. My mission has been a success!

The pioneering age of the 80's with its new technology and hitherto unknown game mechanics gave rise to the shitstorm of games in the 90's. Emphasis on the word 'shit'. For every game that was actually fun to play there where a dozen that were not. For ever Warcraft, there were 12+ Wargasms (Wargasm mechanics have never been emulated unfortunately). People from the 90's only remember the 'good' games. People from the 80's remember all the games, good or bad, because there werent as many. If your game was not good, you just go out of business and make another game.

Also, the 80's were the first of the 'licensed' games to turn up. TSR.

In ten years time, when people ask about 'old games that used to float your boat', I will be listing stuff like Dynasty Warriors, Star Wars Galaxies, Battlefield 2, Morrowind, Hitman, and Stronghold.

Reply #99 Posted: February 04, 2012, 11:29:43 am