Topic: Ketogenic Diet

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
So, I started this at the beginning of July. Slowly edged in to over the first few days before fulling immersing myself over the last 10 days. So far so good, and after a weekend of so many sweet treats being at my disposal, I thought I'd just post up my own amazement at my self control.

For those unaware or unable to Google, a Ketogenic diet effectively removes sugars and effectively all carbs from your diet with the view that your body will then burn the fats rather than any sugar or their carbohydrate containers you are inserting. The effects are obviously weight loss, but there are other benefits which for me now I'm through that first horrible week of feeling like shit is an alertness, and clarity in thinking, and generally feeling better.

Anyone else done this, or the Atkins diet (which is in effect Keto's induction phase), or anything similar?

Posted: July 14, 2014, 04:07:09 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Breakfast: egg with bacon
Snack: peanut butter ball
Lunch: tuna salad
Snack: keto yogurt
Dinner: cheeseburger (no bun)
Snack: keto custard

This diet is relevant to my interests, how do I sign up?

Reply #1 Posted: July 14, 2014, 04:34:26 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
Hmm, Interesting..

Reply #2 Posted: July 14, 2014, 04:35:33 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Epic stuff Arsey for being proactive and actually putting into action a plan for weightloss.

My issue with the Atkins and Keto diets are is they are impossible to maintain over a long time because once you start taking on carbs (you're going to need them at some point) you start putting on the weight again unless you start managing your food intake without relying on simply just not eating a certain type of food. My father does Atkins a few times a year because once he comes off it, the weight goes back on. I also face palm when he does it because he think it's a license to eat what he wants (apart from carbs) so he has a fried breakfast every morning laden in fat.

I have a high protein diet, this is what my day consists of:

Breakfast:
2 slices of toast with peanut butter and a protein shake = 43G protein

Snack:
Protein shake = 25G protein

Lunch:
2 sandwiches with 200g of beef or chicken with avocado, dressing and greens = 30G protein

Snack:
Portein shake = 25g protein

Tea:
Steak or chicken with kumera and broccoli = 55g protein.

Post training snack =
2 x protein shake + cream rice = 50g protein.

In terms of calories, it comes to about 3000 per day if I factor in that I fry my steak and chicken in olive oil, fruit I snack on, cereal I'll eat when I get a sweet tooth.

When you come off Keto, you need to start lifting, son! Lifting heavy burns calories like nobody's business.

Reply #3 Posted: July 16, 2014, 01:27:47 pm

Codex

I keep reading snack and snake and thinking you have multiple cocks in your mouth but like honestly how many chickens do you plan to eat

Reply #4 Posted: July 16, 2014, 02:11:49 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
So a bit of disclosure - I used to bodybuild, so am fully aware of the changes, the nutrition, and all the similar elements. I started the epic journey to lose the weight I was previously carrying, and had put on in February last year. The end of this month signals 18 months since I started, and I am 3kgs away from my goal weight of 85kg, and a total 50kg loss.

The change to Keto has been quite simple, as it has been a pure extension of activity I have been doing for the last 12-15 months. A lot of that revolved around the removal or reduction of carbs anyway, and in particular bread, and potatoes (I'd really only have small amounts of rice, and the kumara). So the extension of full carb removal (and explicit counting) along with sugar removal has been a very interesting one; now and then you feel like shit, but overall, I personally feel I am a lot better off for it.

I'm going for the 85 before the end of the month, and finding little gems like Quest protein bars, and a new love of Kale chips, and the fact I love eggs, and have shifted to their delicious goodness with a swift motivation has been excellent. This weight loss doesn't have to be boring, and is also an amazing learning process - I've enjoyed and hated it all at the same time!

Reply #5 Posted: July 16, 2014, 03:30:01 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Awesome work man!

Quest bars are god tier.

Reply #6 Posted: July 16, 2014, 03:47:35 pm

Codex

Awesome work dude

Hope you have some before and afters hah

Reply #7 Posted: July 16, 2014, 04:09:37 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Good shit man, go for it

Reply #8 Posted: July 16, 2014, 07:26:40 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Sugar-free diet doesn't work and kills you, says scientists.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11300778

Reply #9 Posted: July 29, 2014, 12:17:38 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Typical Herald bullshit.

The strength of the article is that when people avoid sugar, they avoid good foods. The fact that your diet is sugar free is not what is bad, it's the extremes that people go to in order to avoid sugar is what is bad.

Morons needs to understand that fruit is fine. The sugar content in fruit (unless you're diabetic) should not worry you because of the fibre also in fruit. If you makes smoothies and leave them for days in the fridge or eat a lot of dried fruit then all you're doing is taking in pure sugar.

The new movement in diets is not to diet. It's to listen to your body. Give it what it wants (within moderation). If you're craving something sweet it could be because you're lacking vitamin C, where vitamin C is commonly found in oranges and kiwifruit (sweet foods). If you're wanting a burger, it could be because you're craving a piece of red meat (protein).

Reply #10 Posted: July 29, 2014, 12:26:34 pm

Codex

or a cock

Reply #11 Posted: July 29, 2014, 01:09:34 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

*Your cock.

The meatiest of them all.

Reply #12 Posted: July 29, 2014, 01:11:34 pm

Codex

got some girth dere i tell u hwhat

Reply #13 Posted: July 29, 2014, 01:13:39 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Yeah, that's a stupid fucking article. And as per usual written in such a way to create scare mongering. The Keto premise is not to remove, but to reduce, and as Rii says to still be sensible about it. I took the weekend off and enjoyed a couple of sugary things with the kids, but also had some bread as well. Nothing mind bendingly bad because the key is moderation. The high fat, high protein, low carb diet is in essence about being smart, and I would expect that anyone undertaking such a diet/lifestyle would put some effort in to reading and understanding it like I did, and not just jumping in to it based on trickles of info from others, or bullshit newspaper article that are tragically misinformed.

Oh hey Herald, how's your picture of a dead "New Zealander" by the way...

Reply #14 Posted: July 29, 2014, 02:11:42 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
you best be lifting son, I wanna squeeze dem plump gams and get all randy and shit by the girthness.

Reply #15 Posted: August 25, 2014, 06:49:53 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Basically everything has sugar, apart from meat, and vegetables can sometimes be a very small amount that it's not worthy counting.

Fun fact, If you didn't already know, Your brain is the only organ which requires sugar to "live" / survive.

Also *apparently* eating excess amounts of protein will cause your body to convert the protein that it doesn't use into glucose.

Just don't be a retard about eating and stop making life a competition to see how skinny you can get.

Also the average fruit is about the same amount of carbs as two slices of bread.
Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:14:17 pm by `Kayne

Reply #16 Posted: August 25, 2014, 07:18:12 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Also the average fruit is about the same amount of carbs as two slices of bread.

If we're talking bananas, yep (1 banana is one slice of bread on average), it's why bananas are considered an energy rich, high GI food. However if we're talking citrus fruits, berries and apples then they don't come close to bread.

Reply #17 Posted: August 27, 2014, 02:55:06 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
One banana being 15 carbs? maaaaaaaaate you cray cray

Average banana is roughly 30 carbs
An orange is  roughly 15
Apple is roughly 30

A slice of bread is 15 carbs

Annnnd I don't really eat any other fruits ;)

Reply #18 Posted: August 27, 2014, 05:22:09 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Also eating excess amounts of protein will cause your body to convert the protein that it doesn't use into glucose.

You have any supporting evidence for this? I'd say you'd flush it out faster than what gluconeogenesis would occur at.

Reply #19 Posted: August 27, 2014, 08:53:14 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Also eating excess amounts of protein will cause your body to convert the protein that it doesn't use into glucose.

You have any supporting evidence for this? I'd say you'd flush it out faster than what gluconeogenesis would occur at.

Honest answer, Some drunk bitch was yelling at me saying I need to watch my protein intake

but after some googles

gluconeogenesis

^ that word you said yourself, apparently refers to your body converting fat and protein into glucose

http://www.livestrong.com/article/273899-do-fat-protein-turn-into-glucose/

I'm not an expert, and I don't lift, I should put *apparently* in front of everything I type ;)

Reply #20 Posted: August 27, 2014, 10:13:16 pm