Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Who's paying the bill to keep this thing on life support?
VodaClearHug

Reply #22900 Posted: March 18, 2016, 02:13:00 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Spargrees

Reply #22901 Posted: March 18, 2016, 02:17:05 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
any ya'll still gaming?

Reply #22902 Posted: March 18, 2016, 03:08:27 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
any ya'll still gaming?

Yes, most evenings, but not nearly as much as I used too.

~35 hours on steam in the last two weeks.  I used to do more than that a week.

Reply #22903 Posted: March 18, 2016, 03:36:44 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

Reply #22904 Posted: March 18, 2016, 04:06:56 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
any ya'll still gaming?

Yes, most evenings, but not nearly as much as I used too.

~35 hours on steam in the last two weeks.  I used to do more than that a week.

what you playing these days?

Also, is anyone else getting their hands on an HTC Vive?

Reply #22905 Posted: March 18, 2016, 04:59:00 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
what you playing these days?

Current most regular thing is Company of Heroes 2, and playing through my huge steam back catalog.

Reply #22906 Posted: March 18, 2016, 05:38:16 pm

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
^^this^^ currently playing Iron Storm then going to play sunless sea next week sometime.
I also still play a bit of BF4

Reply #22907 Posted: March 18, 2016, 08:55:21 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
BF4 and War Thunder, some Heros & Generals sometimes.

Reply #22908 Posted: March 19, 2016, 03:40:20 am

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!

Reply #22909 Posted: March 19, 2016, 11:08:02 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
any ya'll still gaming?

Gaming, kinda.
Seriously? Naw.

I bought the new counterstrike 2 months back when it was on sale (no way I was buying it otherwise). But I'm still yet to buy a weapon (in game). Just piss around with my pistol.

It breaks some boredom... until it itself becomes boring (usually about an hour later, at the max. ~10 mins at the min.)

That's it at the moment for online shit. Offline I've been playing a bit of single player stuff (like Metro). But I've been noticing a trend* for a while now, which shows no signs of stopping (unfortunately). Games aren't as fun as they used to be, and Bethesda made QL pay for, so fuck that... *sigh*.

Reply #22910 Posted: March 20, 2016, 12:43:14 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:22:11 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #22911 Posted: March 20, 2016, 12:44:18 pm

Offline Pyromanik

trend*

Human interaction over the decades has been growing. I don't mean as in the level of activity, I mean in the platform upon which it happens. Once upon a time everyone knew everyone in their vicinity, neighbours were often friends, etc. These days everyone complains about shit on a grander scale, and neighbours are lucky to even know each other's names. People form social cliques in a larger environment, but don't particularly pay much mind to the larger environment as a whole (say like regulars at a pub in the middle of a big city - but not much interaction outside the pub, or have anything to do with others in the city).

Similarly the same has happened online (and online has in turn sorta accelerated the IRL aspect a bit). As time has gone on the community feeling has been lost some might say, but I look at it more like it's shifted onto a bigger stage. Which in itself is sad, and I still lament the smaller community feel.

It's evident in game design. Once upon a time game servers would be run locally, by local people, played by local folk. Now You sign in to a game, 'match find' a server, and play with a bunch of complete fuck'n randos from all over the world. Communities still form, but I feel not as tight as they did before as there is no singular unifying point. People just 'make (disposable) friends' from folks they encounter often when playing. The focus is much more global, and often the folks have fuck all in common (shitload of 12yos trying to add me to their steam friends since I bought CounterStrike:Global-Nerf (honestly that game has fuck all to do with aim, you just spray and it's a dice roll whether you or the other guy get the kill, whether you try to aim or not. It's shit).

Communities still form, so what's the big deal? To me the communities are less tight knit, thus shit doesn't hold together. Also evident in shit like a new AAA the same as the last AAA every 6 months - 1 year. Games don't last as long, there's no devotion to the title, the numbers in a community that play rise and fall quickly, to the point where it's basically just a couple of regulars and some other randos. There's no cohesion, no bond that keeps interest alive, no 'social' type interaction. Plus as an aging gamer I feel no connection to these people anyway because there fast becoming 1/2 my age as an average.

Facebook is a similar kinda thing. People that know (/once knew) each other trying to maintain a community while they're worlds apart. It has it's place, but as a technological focus it fast displaces smaller more tight knit communities (on older style tech) like this one (ie. forums).

Summarising; I play games.

But I don't really feel the attraction that I once did. I don't have a community feel when I do, thus the attraction to playing many team type games is gone. I can't be fucked with battlefield (and even if EA would let me sign in, I doubt I'd find a game anyway), counterstrike is good for about 40 mins on average only, and things like Payday (which I fucking loved) are now of little interest because I have no friends to actually play and shoot shit with over mic.

This isn't particularly anyone's fault, just seems to be a sign of the times... to which I lament the loss of fun to history.

Plus I got old and had to grow up :(
So did many of my friend types, so gaming isn't really a big thing amongst friends anymore either :/

TL;DR

DOOM AND GLOOM, THE GLORY DAYS ARE LONG OVER.

NB: I imagine it's a little different for MMORPG type players, because their community has always been of this nature, and they tend to be far more devoted to their games. But still, the fact remains.
Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:08:52 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #22912 Posted: March 20, 2016, 12:57:23 pm

Offline Pyromanik

And now for something Christchurch related:

Pitchey, you been down at the firefighter's combat challenge? Your crew taking part? How you faring?

Yeah ok so technically that was WLG related... but I saw the commentator was from CHC Airport crew.

Reply #22913 Posted: March 20, 2016, 01:08:04 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Heya Pyro

Yup, several did, haven't heard back about their times though.

I'm not doing it, had to work!

Reply #22914 Posted: March 20, 2016, 03:51:21 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Hmm, thought that might have been the case.
One of the heats I saw was really close, only half a second in it!

Reply #22915 Posted: March 20, 2016, 07:21:46 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
BF4 and War Thunder, some Heros & Generals sometimes.

Heroes and Generals was surprisingly fun, enjoyed playing that for a bit.

I've been playing a bit of The Culling recently, just got oceanic servers. It's pretty much like hunger games, the game.

Saw Paragon yesterday, a new third-person MOBA on the Unreal engine; that looks like heaps of fun but currently no oceanic servers so am unsure if I'll get it yet or not.

Reply #22916 Posted: March 21, 2016, 09:25:33 am

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
I like tawtles.

Reply #22917 Posted: March 25, 2016, 08:15:21 pm

Offline Pyromanik

tooytels

Reply #22918 Posted: March 29, 2016, 06:50:53 pm

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
Nynjar tooytels?

Reply #22919 Posted: March 29, 2016, 10:05:54 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline Pyromanik

dey aynt pairates.

Reply #22920 Posted: March 30, 2016, 01:36:00 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

Communities still form, so what's the big deal? To me the communities are less tight knit, thus shit doesn't hold together. Also evident in shit like a new AAA the same as the last AAA every 6 months - 1 year. Games don't last as long, there's no devotion to the title, the numbers in a community that play rise and fall quickly, to the point where it's basically just a couple of regulars and some other randos. There's no cohesion, no bond that keeps interest alive, no 'social' type interaction. Plus as an aging gamer I feel no connection to these people anyway because there fast becoming 1/2 my age as an average.

Pyro

Wait till your 70, then come join me in the retirement home.

It will have everything you want, tight-knit communities, everyone will be around your age.

The same games hang around forever. Bingo, bowls and backgammon are all they play.

And your shit doesn't hold together.

Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:25:59 pm by Apostrophe Spacemonkey

Reply #22921 Posted: March 30, 2016, 03:53:18 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Brilliant plan, we can blame childish behaviour on senility!

Reply #22922 Posted: March 30, 2016, 09:53:17 pm

Offline Pyromanik

I dunno why I suddenly decided to look this up, but not wanting a mostly novice unintelligible thesis from wikipedia, I went with a high result from yahoo answers. I was surprised to see a quite coherent answer.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100126100626AAfXWDP

Not even the second (and final) answer was derpery, but I did have a bit of a sly chuckle.

So in the end top marks for douchery, but surprisingly low/no babble from a source known for it's bullshit.
Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:27:56 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #22923 Posted: April 25, 2016, 02:24:08 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
It would be awesome if they named a disorder after me.

I hope it's one they never cure, so even thousands of years after I'm dead, people will be like, "oh, he's got that disorder, poor guy."

My name will live on in infamy.

Reply #22924 Posted: April 26, 2016, 12:52:41 pm