Topic: Why the FUCK is this still such a challenge in Windows.

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Or maybe I'm doing it wrong?

In any case, this should be so much easier then it is.

I have a computer, I want to make a drive in the computer visible to everyone on the network with the ability to both read and write to said drive.

How do I do that?

I have shared the drive and added read/write permissions via advanced sharing, but I still cannot access the folder. I can see it, I can read or write to it though.

What. The. Fuck.

OS X has got you by the balls with this Windows, it really really does.

Posted: May 27, 2013, 03:49:24 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Careful swindle, you are sounding more and more like an iFanboi.

Reply #1 Posted: May 27, 2013, 03:52:01 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
So be it.

I'm becoming a fanboy thick and fast here.

Any idea how easy it is to share with a OS X? So very very easy. So very very quick.

I'm starting to loath windows more and more.

Reply #2 Posted: May 27, 2013, 03:56:22 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Windows 7 sharing took a fuck-turn for the worse.

You have to be in the same homegroup (work, public or home).

It's a hell of a stupid process.

Reply #3 Posted: May 27, 2013, 04:01:28 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Yep, agreed - it's stupidly hard to get it working. I find myself adding a fake user account and then giving the person/other computer that username/password and then they're able to access the drive.

Reply #4 Posted: May 27, 2013, 04:12:11 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Retardobot;1525928
Windows 7 sharing took a fuck-turn for the worse.

You have to be in the same homegroup (work, public or home).

It's a hell of a stupid process.

I've found the homegroup feature makes it a lot easier.

Before that, sharing was a pain.

Reply #5 Posted: May 27, 2013, 04:25:53 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Have a look at the securities tab as well as sharing.If it does not have Everyone then add it and the permissions.

Reply #6 Posted: May 27, 2013, 04:28:03 pm

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
my current household setup has a shared drive and a couple of shared folders, both running windows, both in the homegroup and the other computers username has to be on an approved list or something maybe? (I set this up ages ago and I've changed the router and my computer a couple times around and it still works)

I'm a networking noob and I found it pretty easy, I think windows has a setup guide as I'm pretty sure I just followed some instructions.

Reply #7 Posted: May 27, 2013, 04:30:18 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
\\ComputerName\C$

Access ALL the things!

Reply #8 Posted: May 27, 2013, 05:41:12 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline swindle

OMG

I'm going to cry.

Simple question - If there some software I can use to share drives so I can both read and write from said drives?

Fuck you home group and fuck you microsoft. Your shit sucks.

Reply #9 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:12:24 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
haha. i hear ya swindle.

I find it easier on my mac to connect to the pc via ip

cmd+k

smb://192.168.1.1/ or whatever.

Reply #10 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:19:46 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
on your pc, right click on the drive and share it there bla bla bla etc, get really  frustrated at how annoying windows is, contemplate putting OSX on your pc via hackintosh......

Reply #11 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:21:01 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

http://www.hackintosh.com/

dooooit!

then al you need is to boot into winblows for gaming ;)

Reply #12 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:21:38 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

M M M M M M MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULTIPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!

Reply #13 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:21:54 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline swindle

I just can not be fucked with windows anymore. I really can't.

A month with OS X and windows feels like such a piece of shit, both navigating and stability.

Reply #14 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:22:36 pm

Offline Growler

Now you can truly see why I use OSX at work for photo work and printing.

Reply #15 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:23:56 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I think MS has lost the plot tbh..

Make a user account on the windows computer, and when you share the folder, under the permissions, add that user with read/write permissions
From the other computer, connect to the drive, and authenticate with \ in the username, and the password you made .. should work

(e.g. if your windows PC was called swindle-PC and the user you created was called Frank, you would authenticate with "Swindle-PC\Frank" as the username)

And seriously, the metro touchscreen interface on Server2012.. who's moronic idea was that.

Reply #16 Posted: May 27, 2013, 06:54:27 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Slingshot

• Just settled in
  • Slingshot is looked down upon.
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1525955
I think MS has lost the plot tbh..

Make a user account on the windows computer, and when you share the folder, under the permissions, add that user with read/write permissions
From the other computer, connect to the drive, and authenticate with \ in the username, and the password you made .. should work

(e.g. if your windows PC was called swindle-PC and the user you created was called Frank, you would authenticate with "Swindle-PC\Frank" as the username)

And seriously, the metro touchscreen interface on Server2012.. who's moronic idea was that.

Why does it matter what it looks like? It is the same thing as a start menu. The only thing you use it for is to search for stuff.

Reply #17 Posted: May 27, 2013, 07:01:51 pm

Offline Slingshot

• Just settled in
  • Slingshot is looked down upon.
And sharing is easy with windows 8.

Share the folder.

Make sure you have File and Print sharing allowed in the firewall (an option to allow this is given when you connect to a network, you probably clicked no)

Network center -> advanced sharing -> all networks -> turn off password.

If you have any problems after that, you fucked up.

Reply #18 Posted: May 27, 2013, 07:10:39 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Shares are easy in Windows - you just have to know how to do it....

Reply #19 Posted: May 27, 2013, 07:20:56 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1525958
Shares are easy in Windows - you just have to know how to do it....

This.

I've had no problems.

I think swindle is just doing it wrong.

Reply #20 Posted: May 27, 2013, 08:10:42 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
I had the same issues. What's worse is that they advertised how easy it was to share files etc. Bullshit, it's confusing as fuck.
Honestly, Someone give me another operating system! Mac is overpriced and evil, Windows is shit, Linux sounds wonderful but can't run the anything...

Please google, mozilla or someone give me a new OS for Christmas...

Reply #21 Posted: May 27, 2013, 09:03:19 pm

Offline Growler

Run OSX on your PC :P

Reply #22 Posted: May 27, 2013, 09:21:12 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Run PC on your OSX!

Reply #23 Posted: May 27, 2013, 09:24:41 pm

Offline Pe_Pa_Possum

• Just settled in
  • Pe_Pa_Possum has no influence.
Quote from: Slingshot;1525957
Share the folder.

Make sure you have File and Print sharing allowed in the firewall (an option to allow this is given when you connect to a network, you probably clicked no)

Network center -> advanced sharing -> all networks -> turn off password.

^This

And share with everyone has always worked.

Like this

http://snag.gy/F5S7T.jpg

Edit: Also might pay to make sure File and Printer sharing is turned on in Advanced sharing settings
Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:31:28 pm by Pe_Pa_Possum

Reply #24 Posted: May 27, 2013, 10:29:00 pm