Topic: Wasted space

Offline han16

• Addicted
  • han16 has no influence.
Hey good to see the forums up and running.

Just one thing that is driving me nuts:

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/6108/xt1r.jpg
Wasted space

All that empty space either side of the page is rather silly isn't it? Steam does this, it's not something i'd be copying.

han

Posted: January 20, 2014, 12:52:00 pm
Reverse Jihad Tank Extraordinaire

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

All that empty space either side of the page is rather silly isn't it? Steam does this, it's not something i'd be copying.

han

Hold control and use your scroll wheel to make page bigger ;)

Reply #1 Posted: January 20, 2014, 12:56:29 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline han16

• Addicted

han

Hold control and use your scroll wheel to make page bigger ;)

Not really the fix I was looking for.

Reply #2 Posted: January 20, 2014, 12:58:28 pm

Offline Scopey

• GS Developer
  • Scopey has no influence.
Instructions for chrome:

- Hit F12
- Switch to the console tab
- Type the following

$('#wrapper').css('max-width', '126186816817926px');

- Hit enter

You'll have to do that on every page though... There's probably an extension to automate it.

IE and FF can do it too, very similar process.

Edit:

If you set the min-width to 920px and set $('#menu-nav').css('margin-left', '10px') then you get the site looking good in a half screen window (at 1920x1080).
Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:30:02 pm by Scopey

Reply #3 Posted: January 20, 2014, 01:22:02 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
I think it's done on purpose to allow for all forms of browsing, and not just those with 17 screens at 1080p han ;)

I'll leave this one for prolax.

Reply #4 Posted: January 20, 2014, 04:42:57 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
This is a development trend, kinda like having the sky sports watermark in the middle of your 50inch tv. Personally I think there is good space for advertisement and really handy widgets.

Reply #5 Posted: January 20, 2014, 04:48:29 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
Currently the size to a width of 1024px; a small enough size to accommodate low resolution browsers but big enough to effectively display everything we wanted to display.

I'll look into adding some sort of scalability to the development version of our forums and see how that works out.

Reply #6 Posted: January 20, 2014, 05:04:24 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Most common resolution these days is 1366x768 by a long way

http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201312-201401-bar

Reply #7 Posted: January 20, 2014, 05:37:21 pm

Offline prolax

• Administrator
  • prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...prolax might someday be someone...
Most common resolution these days is 1366x768 by a long way

http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-monthly-201312-201401-bar

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-resolution-NZ-monthly-201212-201312-bar

More accurate and local stats from that site ^

The lowest common resolution is 1024px wide; so we've accounted for that. 

For mobile / tablet devices, we will be implementing a custom mobile-friendly theme for the forums at some point to accommodate those users. For those with bigger resolutions that want to see space utilised better, I'll look into it.

Reply #8 Posted: January 20, 2014, 06:00:06 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
We could even put the chat thing as a sidebar prolax?

Reply #9 Posted: January 20, 2014, 07:24:57 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

We can insult each other in real time!

Reply #10 Posted: January 21, 2014, 08:17:12 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!

We can insult each other in real time!

Fuck you you fucking fuck :-P

Reply #11 Posted: January 21, 2014, 09:17:03 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I for one vote that we fill the blank space with Breasts

Preferably female and not Arsey's

Reply #12 Posted: January 21, 2014, 09:19:04 am

Offline han16

• Addicted
I for one vote that we fill the blank space with Breasts

Preferably female and not Arsey's

Quoted because best idea.

Reply #13 Posted: January 21, 2014, 09:43:24 am

Offline han16

• Addicted
Currently the size to a width of 1024px; a small enough size to accommodate low resolution browsers but big enough to effectively display everything we wanted to display.

I'll look into adding some sort of scalability to the development version of our forums and see how that works out.

Thanks, there is a huge amount of blank space when browsing at 2560x1440. First world problems etc.

Reply #14 Posted: January 21, 2014, 09:45:24 am

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
other forums I frequent use the space to show the mumble/teamspeak server status (i.e who is in). So it's a good reminder to jump in.

Reply #15 Posted: January 21, 2014, 01:09:29 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Why would you want the information confined to the two ends of the screen? I just use a smaller window, the rest of the screen is for doing other stuff.

Reply #16 Posted: January 21, 2014, 03:59:26 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
other forums I frequent use the space to show the mumble/teamspeak server status (i.e who is in). So it's a good reminder to jump in.

Not a horrible idea :D

Reply #17 Posted: January 21, 2014, 05:35:31 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline han16

• Addicted
Why would you want the information confined to the two ends of the screen? I just use a smaller window, the rest of the screen is for doing other stuff.

Personal preference, I have space to burn so I well...burn it.

Reply #18 Posted: January 21, 2014, 06:39:22 pm

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!

Reply #19 Posted: January 21, 2014, 06:55:49 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!

I should really get around to putting that back in to the BW site...

Reply #20 Posted: January 21, 2014, 08:32:56 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline benlav

• Addicted

I should really get around to putting that back in to the BW site...

would be good. We have 8 on right now.

Reply #21 Posted: January 21, 2014, 09:37:54 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
I HAVE DONES IT. I wrote a style override using Stylish extension for Firefox. It now looks like: Slightly less painful on the eyes, and increased the max width.

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=3zi0vlm1.q0y.jpg
Wasted space

Code: [Select]
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("www.getsome.co.nz") {

body
    {
        background-color: #2A2A2A !important;
    }

#wrapper{
        max-width: 1200px !important;
    }

#content_section{
        background-color: #F2F2F2 !important;
    }

.post_wrapper{
        background-color: #FEFEFE !important;
    }

.windowbg, #preview_body{
    }

.windowbg2{
    }

.topic_table td.subject p, .topic_table td.stats{
        color: #2C2C2C !important;
    }

table.table_list tbody.content td.stats{
    }

div.cat_bar{
        background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #FEFEFE !important;
    }

}
Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:43:46 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #22 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:41:01 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I HAVE DONES IT. I wrote a style override using Stylish extension for Firefox. It now looks like: Slightly less painful on the eyes, and increased the max width.

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=3zi0vlm1.q0y.jpg
Wasted space

Code: [Select]
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("www.getsome.co.nz") {

body
    {
        background-color: #2A2A2A !important;
    }

#wrapper{
        max-width: 1200px !important;
    }

#content_section{
        background-color: #F2F2F2 !important;
    }

.post_wrapper{
    }

.windowbg, #preview_body{
    }

.windowbg2{
    }

.topic_table td.subject p, .topic_table td.stats{
    }

table.table_list tbody.content td.stats{
    }

div.cat_bar{
        background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #FEFEFE !important;
    }

}

I went to Rep, but I couldn't find the Rep button - I feel special

Reply #23 Posted: January 22, 2014, 08:40:29 am

Offline prolax

• Administrator
It's the heart icon under the avatars.

Yea there is always the option of custom styles if you really wanted to change something.

Reply #24 Posted: January 22, 2014, 09:03:52 am