Topic: I need a new job. What are my options?

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
I'm a plumber/gassfitter by trade (qualified) and have been working at Harvey Norman for the last 2 years as their technician (more like resetting fuckwits email passwords and baby sitting morons). There is some little technical work to it, but nothing aspiring. Just basic level trouble shooting.

I don't really want to go back to the trade. Body destroying dangerous work.

I don't want to work at Harvey Norman because of the following; It's embarrassing, terrible pay, outdated business model, nothing to learn, no training, nothing to internally aspire to, no fun, over worked, customers in a place like that are horrible, horrible closed minded superiors, ridiculous and narrow minded egos.

At this point, with a 7 year old daughter in Wellington who I love and do not want to leave, I'm feeling like I have very VERY limited options to do anything other than idiot work.

Any advice/job offers welcome.
Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:11:47 pm by swindle

Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:08:26 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Any further education appeal to you? Maybe a part time qualification if you cant afford to leave full time work, or a full time qual and part time work if you can afford it.

Reply #1 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:15:53 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Have you ever considered becoming a Courier? A Courier in Wellington is a pretty good job if you know your way around!

Reply #2 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:16:13 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Any further education appeal to you? Maybe a part time qualification if you cant afford to leave full time work, or a full time qual and part time work if you can afford it.

It does appeal. My only issue being that further education would mean I'd be stuck at home for another X amount of years. I'm already 26, and at this rate I'll be living at my parents until I'm 40. It makes me sad. I have various financial obligations with my daughter also, so with the combination of living costs and child costs, further education would mean more debt, less money and being stuck for longer.

There is the weight that, further education could mean a job I want at money that is good. But with this current economy, these are very much "maybes".

If someone has any light to shed on this? Feel free.

Reply #3 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:19:48 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline swindle

Have you ever considered becoming a Courier? A Courier in Wellington is a pretty good job if you know your way around!

I'm sure it is. I'm also sure that being a courier doesn't exactly "open doors" so to speak.

Please, for the love of god, spare the jokes on that one...

Reply #4 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:20:42 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in

It does appeal. My only issue being that further education would mean I'd be stuck at home for another X amount of years. I'm already 26, and at this rate I'll be living at my parents until I'm 40. It makes me sad. I have various financial obligations with my daughter also, so with the combination of living costs and child costs, further education would mean more debt, less money and being stuck for longer.

There is the weight that, further education could mean a job I want at money that is good. But with this current economy, these are very much "maybes".

If someone has any light to shed on this? Feel free.

I dumped my job at 30 and went back to study. 33 now, almost done with school and have some mint job options in front of me. Best thing ive done tbh.

Reply #5 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:23:02 pm

Offline swindle

That is interesting. If you don't mind me asking - What did you do before study? And what did you go to study?

Reply #6 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:24:59 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
I dumped my job at 30 and went back to study. 33 now, almost done with school and have some mint job options in front of me. Best thing ive done tbh.
I did this but ended up with the opposite effect so your mileage may vary

Reply #7 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:28:08 pm

Offline swindle

I did this but ended up with the opposite effect so your mileage may vary

Thus my concern for that move. I'm a single guy, with a 7 year old daughter. Taking time "off" to study will be an amazingly risky option.

Reply #8 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:31:07 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
Was a scuba instructor, which is pretty cool, until I mention it was in dunedin and therefore fairly cold for 11 out of 12 months. Did that for 8 and 1/2 years.

Studying civil engineering now. Worked as a site engineer/ project manager for a contractor over xmas and just got offered a structural design role at a consultancy through a recommendation by the head of department.

Going back to school a little older means you have a little more drive than the average punter. You know what you're there for and you tend to focus and work hard for it. Well thats what ive found anyway.

Reply #9 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:34:03 pm

Offline swindle

Going back to school a little older means you have a little more drive than the average punter. You know what you're there for and you tend to focus and work hard for it. Well thats what ive found anyway.

I can believe that. After seeing the way the world can treat a guy, my drive would be intense.

Reply #10 Posted: March 11, 2014, 09:36:05 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Learn to code.
HTML night class and suddenly new career :>

Reply #11 Posted: March 12, 2014, 09:19:06 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
If you don't mind me asking, how was being a plumber body destroying dangerous work?

From what I've seen on job sites, Plumbers are the laziest fucks out there. It seems they let anyone in these days.
Just kidding m8 <3

Is starting up your own business for residential really out of the question, or is it just really shit work?
He shoots, he scores, again

What about another trade? Or are you just over that kinda work in general

*Read between the lines, before ya'll start neg-repping :(*
Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:53:05 pm by `Kayne

Reply #12 Posted: March 12, 2014, 03:55:28 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Obligatory

"Become a Gigalo"

Comment

servicing those 40 year old rich Welly house wives

Reply #13 Posted: March 12, 2014, 04:56:52 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I'm assuming you learn some basic welding/brazing skills as a plumber.. maybe retrain as a welder?

Reply #14 Posted: March 12, 2014, 09:37:27 pm

Codex

Depends what you have a passion for tbh, because if you go to another job that's just a job then you'll end up in the same boat

Reply #15 Posted: March 13, 2014, 08:12:07 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Depends what you have a passion for tbh, because if you go to another job that's just a job then you'll end up in the same boat

https://www.interislander.co.nz/Interislander-Jobs-and-Careers.aspx

Interislander ad "Sailing to the Other Side" (1990)
edit: font size is limited to 7
Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:51:56 am by Tiwaking!

Reply #16 Posted: March 13, 2014, 10:44:44 am

Codex

Why do you hurt me this way

Reply #17 Posted: March 13, 2014, 11:12:52 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
If you don't mind me asking, how was being a plumber body destroying dangerous work?

From what I've seen on job sites, Plumbers are the laziest fucks out there. It seems they let anyone in these days.
Just kidding m8 <3

I have a handful of plumber friends and they are all up at a sparrow's fart.

Crawling under houses (old state houses), working with brass, blow torches, working in ridiculous summer temps. I know a few guys as well who've had to retire early because their respiratory systems have packed in due to constantly inhaling dust and microscopic building materials.

Reply #18 Posted: March 13, 2014, 03:43:53 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Hmmm, I need some plumbing advice at my place....

Reply #19 Posted: March 13, 2014, 04:08:44 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Ask Virtuality.

Reply #20 Posted: March 13, 2014, 04:36:14 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
you're bound to get an OddBall answer!

Reply #21 Posted: March 13, 2014, 04:54:55 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Your never to old to re educate your self swindle,i did at 35.

If it does interest you,you might want to pop into a study link and ask as to what your entitled to money wise as you have a daughter.

Reply #22 Posted: March 13, 2014, 05:33:15 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
As Pyro mentioned; Web Dev. There are zero startup costs (assuming you have a pc), tons of free resources, and plenty of examples.

It's something you can learn pretty quickly, branch into a server side language, and then take a 6 month diploma.

Entry level software development may set you at around 45-55K depending on your chosen languages

Reply #23 Posted: March 13, 2014, 06:18:56 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline HandofBlood

• Just settled in
  • HandofBlood has no influence.
TBH is sounds more like your workplace environment is making you feel the way you do and it needs to change for you and everyone there (customers included).

Be that guy to set the example about having fun at work and make sure everyone is involved and you will find it will increase productivity resulting in more sales happier staff and customers and who knows maybe you might end up as that go to guy for the head honchos when they see the change you made to the workplace and to their image they might want to see it change for the whole business and you will be their man.

Open doors for yourself and take the people with the same passion/drive with you, the doors will close on the ones that don't want to change with you.

Reply #24 Posted: March 13, 2014, 07:55:44 pm
i5-4670K | Corsair H100 | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | EVGA/Asus GeForce GTX 680  SLi | 250GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Corsair AX860i PSU | NZXT Phantom White