Topic: I need a new job. What are my options?

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Studying civil engineering now. Worked as a site engineer/ project manager for a contractor over xmas and just got offered a structural design role at a consultancy through a recommendation by the head of department.

Yussss

+1 for engineering.

Reply #25 Posted: March 13, 2014, 09:30:03 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Codex

^I shall join the force too ;D thanks to your convincing haha

Reply #26 Posted: March 14, 2014, 08:51:15 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
^I shall join the force too ;D thanks to your convincing haha
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9533167/Jedi-still-believe-in-the-Force-despite-census-snub
Jedi still believe in the Force despite census snub

The force is not with us and nor is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Census figures released last week have shone fresh light on Kiwis' religious faith but tens of thousands of responses were rejected because they were not deemed legitimate.

Among those considered "out of scope" are Jedi and Pastafarians, who profess to be worshippers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

After a public campaign in 2001, 53,715 people declared themselves as Jedi in the census, and 20,262 did so in 2006.

Wellington Jedi Renee Lee said it "sucked" that Jedi were not recorded as followers of a legitimate religion, particularly given it had more devotees than some more accepted faiths.

"Jedi is definitely a valid thing," she said.

Sorry swindle. Codex is making this way too easy for me

Reply #27 Posted: March 14, 2014, 11:47:46 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
As Pyro mentioned; Web Dev. There are zero startup costs (assuming you have a pc), tons of free resources, and plenty of examples.

It's something you can learn pretty quickly, branch into a server side language, and then take a 6 month diploma.

Entry level software development may set you at around 45-55K depending on your chosen languages

And bonus; Wellington is the place to be for it.

Reply #28 Posted: March 14, 2014, 12:02:41 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Would anyone care to point me in the direction of appropriate and valid webdev resources?

Reply #29 Posted: March 14, 2014, 12:07:21 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
gonzoxxx dot com has a huge bunch of resources

They may not be that relevant though

Reply #30 Posted: March 14, 2014, 12:49:43 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Has anyone had any experance with codecademy.com?

Reply #31 Posted: March 14, 2014, 12:57:49 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Yep. Was pretty easy to follow.

Would recommend. Just don't know how far it can take you.

Reply #32 Posted: March 14, 2014, 01:49:22 pm

Offline swindle

Yep. Was pretty easy to follow.

Would recommend. Just don't know how far it can take you.

Just did the first lesson :D

I'm now a webmaster and can HTML in my sleep.

Hire me - 6 figures and we can talk.

Reply #33 Posted: March 14, 2014, 01:54:38 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

This is all web developers.

Reply #34 Posted: March 14, 2014, 03:45:14 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

Now make facebook.

Reply #35 Posted: March 14, 2014, 03:47:23 pm

Offline swindle

You don't see stats like this errday,

Reply #36 Posted: March 14, 2014, 04:16:04 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Just make sure you keep practicing / learning otherwise all your efforts will go down the drain.
FUCKIN' BAZINGAAAAAA. okay i'll stop.

Reply #37 Posted: March 14, 2014, 04:38:02 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline swindle

Just make sure you keep practicing / learning otherwise all your efforts will go down the drain.
FUCKIN' BAZINGAAAAAA. okay i'll stop.

Just going to set myself the challenge to finish every course they offer on the site, as a start.

Reply #38 Posted: March 14, 2014, 04:40:59 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
In all seriousness, when I started trying to learn C#, I stopped for a week (I'd probably only been learning for a week too) and my shit memory had forgotten most of what I'd learnt.

And so I gave up

But again, I've got to ask, is plumbing really that dangerous? Or were you just working in some serious industrial sites?

Reply #39 Posted: March 14, 2014, 04:44:00 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline swindle

In all seriousness, when I started trying to learn C#, I stopped for a week (I'd probably only been learning for a week too) and my shit memory had forgotten most of what I'd learnt.

And so I gave up

But again, I've got to ask, is plumbing really that dangerous? Or were you just working in some serious industrial sites?

I had my teeth smashed out and a 200KG steel pipe dropped on my knee. Along with all the other accidents I saw happen. I used to work in commercial/industrial. Much more dangerous then residential.

Also, the amount of 60 year olds that can hardly walk/breathe after years of the job taking its toll on your body, no thanks... 

Reply #40 Posted: March 14, 2014, 05:26:42 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Now make facebook.

http://clientsfromhell.net/post/20176743615/client-i-want-you-to-make-me-a-facebook-me-do
March 30, 2012

Client: I want you to make me a facebook.

Me: Do you mean a website facebook’s functionality?

Client: No, just a facebook. I’ve been told having a facebook will help my business.

Me: So you want me to make you a design for your facebook page?

Client: No! Not just a page! Make me a whole facebook.

Me: You can make a facebook account, I’ll assist you with that, and we you can create a page for your business which I will help you design. It’ll appear on Facebook on your customers -

Client: WHO SAID I WANT AN ACCOUNT OR A PAGE, I JUST WANT A FACEBOOK LIKE ALL THE OTHER FACEBOOKS OUT THERE.

I had my teeth smashed out and a 200KG steel pipe dropped on my knee. Along with all the other accidents I saw happen. I used to work in commercial/industrial. Much more dangerous then residential.

Also, the amount of 60 year olds that can hardly walk/breathe after years of the job taking its toll on your body, no thanks...

The last commercial plumber I saw came to my work and spent six hours ankle deep in raw sewerage, so I can believe this.

Humour is only good when you dont faucet
Spoiler :
On a more serious note, why not a translator or a pilot? Or a photo journalist!

Reply #41 Posted: March 14, 2014, 06:00:24 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
I had my teeth smashed out and a 200KG steel pipe dropped on my knee. Along with all the other accidents I saw happen. I used to work in commercial/industrial.

Health and safety is getting pretty serious now. Provided you take a careful approach to work, you can ensure your own safety.

I am 26. I went to uni straight from school and studied geography, eventually graduating with a BSc in Geo. I did geo because I enjoyed it and hoped it could lead me to an enjoyable job. If you enjoy your job you never have to work a day in your life, or something like that. When I finished I was a bit tired of geo, so stayed working where I had been part time during my studies. Eventually I got tired of that for reasons similar to why you don't want to be at Harvey Norman.

I started building, and am now doing a building apprenticeship. It's totally different to what I've done before, and I really enjoy it. It's something I can see myself doing for a long time, and hopefully making decent money out of. The point I am trying to make here is that you need to try a few things till you work out what makes you happy.

Reply #42 Posted: March 14, 2014, 08:42:58 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

The only thing you getting from programming is sore wrists.

And coffee stains!!

Reply #43 Posted: March 14, 2014, 09:33:19 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!

And coffee stains!!

And that weird red callus on your mouse hand.

Reply #44 Posted: March 14, 2014, 09:37:19 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted

And coffee stains!!

If you get your ergo set up good, and stretch regularly you're pretty sweet.

Next most difficult thing is deciding which album to queue up next.

Reply #45 Posted: March 14, 2014, 10:52:05 pm

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
get off your ass and get back on the tools . plumbers up here make a fucking fortune . highest paid of all the trades and even better if you are a gas fitter as well. im averaging about 65 hours a week as a builder and i have to deal with plumbers on a weekly basis . im surprised half them don't turn up on site in a Porsche .....

Reply #46 Posted: March 15, 2014, 06:41:45 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
get off your ass and get back on the tools . plumbers up here make a fucking fortune . highest paid of all the trades and even better if you are a gas fitter as well. im averaging about 65 hours a week as a builder and i have to deal with plumbers on a weekly basis . im surprised half them don't turn up on site in a Porsche .....

I always told welders pocket the most cash among the tradies.

Reply #47 Posted: March 15, 2014, 11:04:13 am

Offline swindle

I always told welders pocket the most cash among the tradies.

It's the same as any other industry tbh.

Know the right people, make the right money.

Reply #48 Posted: March 15, 2014, 11:26:10 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

And coffee stains!!

And that weird red callus on your mouse hand.

On the outside edge of the underside of your wrist, amirite?

* Pyromanik has piano teacher-esque hauntings of a voice saying "LIFT YOUR WRISTS, YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG"

In all seriousness though, the other downside to office work is that you get fat real easy because no physical movement :(

Reply #49 Posted: March 15, 2014, 12:44:00 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.