Topic: Google lowers Drive price - $1.99 for 100GB/$9.99 for 1TB

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
I'd rather have herpes than anything from Microsoft.

Reply #25 Posted: March 18, 2014, 01:41:52 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

It would be safe to assume you are aware of the benefits of having storage that you can access from anywhere, using any phone or PC on servers that have multiple levels of redundancy?

Reply #26 Posted: March 18, 2014, 01:56:17 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!

It would be safe to assume you are aware of the benefits of having storage that you can access from anywhere, using any phone or PC on servers that have multiple levels of redundancy?

What's a redundancy?

And tbh, I'd rather havea drive at home in my computer. Amiright?

Reply #27 Posted: March 18, 2014, 02:08:02 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!

I hear SkyDrive is a fantastic alternative

/s

It is. I use sky drive all the time. I'm hoping the Skydrive prices will come down to compete with google.

You guys should too.

This

Reply #28 Posted: March 18, 2014, 05:34:19 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
It's OneDrive now.

Microsoft likes changing names.

Unless that name is Windows.

Reply #29 Posted: March 19, 2014, 09:07:25 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Or office.

Reply #30 Posted: March 19, 2014, 10:41:52 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
It's OneDrive now.

Microsoft likes changing names.

Unless that name is Windows.

MS didnt want to change the name.. the fact they only did it after a fairly protracted lawsuit that they lost. BSkyB (british parent of SKy TV) sued them for daring to have a product with the word "Sky" in it, and in a sign of how fucked up trademark law is, MS lost.

The whole "Metro" UI thing was similar trademark issue BS.

Scrap copyright/trademarks/patents.. scrap them all.

Reply #31 Posted: March 20, 2014, 11:28:39 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

That would be a really terrible idea.

Reply #32 Posted: March 21, 2014, 01:24:26 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Not when concerning software.

Or pretty much anything relating to the advancement of science/mandkind.

Reply #33 Posted: March 21, 2014, 08:14:48 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator

I struggle to see any good in them.. do enlighten me.

Reply #34 Posted: March 21, 2014, 01:13:01 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!

I struggle to see any good in them.. do enlighten me.

Trademark: If we scrapped this then I could legitimately start a business called microsoft. Same logo, same name, exact same website, same brochure, same product line, except when you pay my me (also under microsoft holdings) I don't give you any product.

Copyright: This one is genuinely pretty fucked, but only because technology has moved faster than the laws governing copyright. The idea being that if you're an artist your only income is your art. If we scrapped this then people could legitimately share music on the internet for free and the artists recording companies wouldn't make any money. Ok we need to scrap this one, recording companies need to realise they no longer have a viable product.

Patents: This is something a lot of people don't fully understand. Lots of shit is patented. Stuff you wouldn't imagine is patented. For example the method of heating water in the espresso machine (that is in parts on my desk) is probably patented. Some company would have spent millions of dollars developing a system that allows you to boil water for the frothing wand, and steep it through the thinger widget. If no patent existed I could buy one of their coffee machines, reverse engineer it and for a few grand have a heating element as good as theirs. So they have a patent. The terms differ on usage, but without patents no body would ever bother developing anything because they know it'll just get stolen and recycled on launch day by their competitors. Also patents expire, so a number of decades down the line the patent expires and anyone can use it for free from then on. So patents give the person who did all the work a period of time to take advantage of their hard work, but then it promotes competition in the market. We're currently seeing this as a bunch of 3d printer (rapid prototyping) patents expire.

There are a number of tactics on whether you patent, what to patent, how to patent etc WD40 isn't patented, because the process to make it is so fucking impossible to replicate that they're confident no body will ever be able to replicate it. So is coca-cola.

Software patents are good in my opinion. Patenting a single function is a terrible idea, that's going to cause some huge fuck ups. But patenting how a software system 'interfaces' with hardware in my opinion is good. Take Motec for example. They make the best data analysis software for race cars, it's called i2. It cost them 8 million dollars to make (chump change) but they want to sell their data acquisition hardware. So they make i2 only compatible with their hardware, and file a patent on this. If someone in the market starts selling a device that allows you to use cheaper different [inferior] hardware with i2, then Motec will be able to stop them thereby securing their rights.

The software patenting law that is going to come into NZ states that you may patent software that isn't for a computer as such which is a fucking lawyer term for a windows, OSX or linux based computer. But they're stupid fucking lawyers who fucked the whole fucking thing up because they don't realise what the difference between a computer and an embedded computer is. If you pointed to an arduino and told a lawyer it was a computer he'd argue with you that it isn't. And this is going to cause some serious problems, because a raspberry pi is a computer. So we have this marvelous grey area as to what a computer is "as such".

Reply #35 Posted: March 21, 2014, 06:22:45 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Disagree entirely, excepting the artistry copyright & trademarks bit.

Reply #36 Posted: March 21, 2014, 11:24:47 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Disagree entirely, excepting the artistry copyright & trademarks bit.

Haha I thought you might. Why? We're having a rational discussion here.

Too be honest I don't care much for it myself, in a perfect world we wouldn't need any of it, but such systems are so ingrained into industry now you'd have more chance of convincing the pope to renounce his Christianity than scrapping the lot of it.

I steer clear of it where possible so I don't have to deal with it. Though I understand it, and given the opportunity I'll take full advantage of it.

Reply #37 Posted: March 21, 2014, 11:59:48 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah, I undestand all that. What you say there is true. It's also sad, and wrong (morally).
But making money has never been about morals.

As much as it pains me (because of who he is and the extremities of his fevour) I turn to R.H.Stallman to give good examples on why I dislike the system.

***shit I had a good vid in history I watched once, but I CBF'd finding it.

Reply #38 Posted: March 22, 2014, 03:41:46 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
NECROBLASTER

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

Relevant. Maybe own thread? cCirclejerk in plames, trains & automobiles? K Go!

Reply #39 Posted: June 13, 2014, 09:36:54 am

Copyright: This one is genuinely pretty fucked, but only because technology has moved faster than the laws governing copyright. The idea being that if you're an artist your only income is your art. If we scrapped this then people could legitimately share music on the internet for free and the artists recording companies wouldn't make any money. Ok we need to scrap this one, recording companies need to realise they no longer have a viable product.

How will artists make money then?

Reply #40 Posted: June 13, 2014, 10:01:06 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted

Music: touring, merchandise.

Everyone else: fucked if I know, I'm not proposing a solution merely pointing out that I think it's broken.

Reply #41 Posted: June 13, 2014, 10:15:14 am

Offline swindle

I'm not proposing a solution merely pointing out that I think it's broken.

You and I are not so different after all.

Reply #42 Posted: June 13, 2014, 01:05:44 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.

The same way they make money now, but without all the costs of implementing DRM, paying exhorbitant fees to companies to "stop piracy" and suing their own fans.

Reply #43 Posted: June 15, 2014, 05:50:57 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Speaking of patents.

Elon Musk, the most awesome rich guy ever, CEO of rocket building company SpaceX and electric car company Tesla motors, also he is secretly Iron Man, and also in the movie Machete Kills!

Tesla has gone and opened up all their patents, encouraging others to use and build upon their technology.

He says, electric vehicles are not his competition, but petrol-based vehicles, and he wants to help other electric car companies to grow the market.

http://inhabitat.com/tesla-just-gave-all-its-patents-away-to-anyone-who-wants-to-use-them/

Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:44:37 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #44 Posted: June 16, 2014, 08:37:37 am

And he also owns the submarine car from James Bond, and plans to make it into a real submarine car.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/10/17/elon-musk-tesla-james-bond-submarine/3004955/

Reply #45 Posted: June 16, 2014, 08:40:41 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Speaking of patents.

Elon Musk, the most awesome rich guy ever, CEO of rocket building company SpaceX and electric car company Tesla motors, also he is secretly Iron Man, and also in the movie Machete Kills!

Tesla has gone and opened up all their patents, encouraging others to use and build upon their technology.

He says, electric vehicles are not his competition, but petrol-based vehicles, and he wants to help other electric car companies to grow the market.

http://inhabitat.com/tesla-just-gave-all-its-patents-away-to-anyone-who-wants-to-use-them/

Wait, what? I didn't know that! Oh wait I did! and look I posted about it too, then you went NECRO-OFF TOPIC about bands and copyright....even though none of this has anything to do with google reducing the price of it's cloud services...hahaha

NECROBLASTER

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

Relevant. Maybe own thread? cCirclejerk in plames, trains & automobiles? K Go!

Reply #46 Posted: June 16, 2014, 08:49:17 am

Hahahaha, missed that.

Worth posting twice though.

Reply #47 Posted: June 16, 2014, 08:56:07 am