Topic: Lets throw some ideas around.

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Let's say I wanted to mount a PC to the back of my TV. Mostly for playing media, but maybe a little web browsing etc.

Now, we want a silent PC to do this with.

This is cheap, and would work, I assume?

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=19636

But then there is something like this, which would be fucking baller.

http://store.apple.com/nz/buy-mac/mac-mini

Oooor throw me an alternate idea?

EDIT: Or just use a dedicated NAS drive like this? Sure I suffer no web browsing on the TV but media playback should be pretty good?

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=19309
Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:22:56 pm by swindle

Posted: April 17, 2014, 05:06:32 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Apple TV + plex.

and if you have ipad/iphone you get the plex app and it's fucking awesome!

Reply #1 Posted: April 17, 2014, 06:29:52 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Apple TV + plex.

and if you have ipad/iphone you get the plex app and it's fucking awesome!

Does the Apple TV need to be jailbroken to work with Plex? I already have Twonky, and that works with everything really well.

Reply #2 Posted: April 17, 2014, 07:10:09 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
no, no jail breaking, it's just changing the ips etc, you could for all I know get twonky to work with it too

Reply #3 Posted: April 17, 2014, 07:52:50 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

twonky says it supports ATV

http://twonky.com/devices/

Reply #4 Posted: April 17, 2014, 07:54:09 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

so how I do it on my ATV + plex is, I have the plex server running on my PC etc.

turn on ATV, open plex app on my ipad, browse my metric fuckton of shows n movies, click what i want and it airplays to the TV, use ipad for whatever I like while it's playing.

I do not know if twonky works the same, but I imagine it would be similar, I can't see it tying the ipad up for the duration of the show/movie.

It really is fucking awesome, ATV has constant support with iOS etc, and plex has constant rolling updates!

Reply #5 Posted: April 17, 2014, 07:57:30 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

It reads like it's sort of the same as plex, you change the ATV dns ip to your twonky server and run a connect script that catches it.

Reply #6 Posted: April 17, 2014, 08:01:26 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

STRIVE FOR FIVE!

Reply #7 Posted: April 17, 2014, 08:01:39 pm
Think of me like Yoda,