Topic: Why consoles need to be driven out of the market.

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
http://whatifgaming.com/the-division-developer-insider-we-already-downgraded-a-few-things

Console players are already responsible for the drop in the quality of PC games, because the studios release cross platform and everything has to be dumbed down for the people too stupid to use a computer. Now it's gone beyond just gameplay and is spreading to graphics quality too. Hot on the heels of Watch Dogs PC graphics being nerfed, yet another game will be dropping it's quality, because console manufacturers are whining it looks "too good" on a PC.

Posted: June 26, 2014, 01:04:09 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Watch Dogs
Watch Dogs was delayed because of the Next Gen Consoles

After 2006: I hate consoles. With all of my hate

Reply #1 Posted: June 26, 2014, 01:08:14 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
The simple fact is it's a lot cheaper to get into console gaming than it is to get into PC gaming. There's a bigger demand for consoles, and so the market for developers gets orientated towards them. PCs are big and bulky, and expensive. Sales have been dropping for years because laptop and mobile devices have eclipsed them in terms of ease of use and mobility and because there's greater parity in computing power between mobile and desktop devices.

I'm sure the ease with which people can pirate computer games versus console has also had an impact. So too, the failure of PC games to accommodate multiplayer modes which don't require LAN or networked units has probably not helped. Children don't share well.

It sucks for those of us (myself included) who prefer the better performance of PCs for gaming, but 'driving consoles out of the market' is ludicrous. Either PCs address the problems listed above, or they die out (for gaming, anyways). Markets demand innovation.
Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:50:43 pm by Tandoori

Reply #2 Posted: June 26, 2014, 01:48:30 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
It sucks for those of us (myself included) who prefer the better performance of PCs for gaming, but 'driving consoles out of the market' is ludicrous. Either PCs address the problems listed above, or they die out (for gaming, anyways). Markets demand innovation.
It is a little hard to explain to the dirty, unwashed, teenaged, console playing, retarded peasants why their super duper 'Next Generation Console' version of a game doesnt look anywhere near as good as someones PC.

Someone who spent an amount of money equal to a Next Gen Console, on a single graphics card is investing in an unequaled experience.

Unfortunately for the PC Gaming Master Race, the thing we invest in the most i.e Games, are being dumbed down in every way for the hordes of slavering, masturbatory, gamepad wielding simpletons.

Pointing out the fact that an expensive PC will outlast an entire generation of Consoles makes the dimwitted mass of big screen tv watching mouth breathers angry. And, as the saying goes, "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent"

And by 'market' I mean Console-Cretins, and by 'solvent' I mean 'Calm'

Reply #3 Posted: June 26, 2014, 02:15:37 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
We need a one world dictator who rules with an iron fist, and makes PC gaming the only true way, and possession or discussion of consoles an offence punishable by the extermination of your entire family.

Reply #4 Posted: June 26, 2014, 02:56:11 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
We need a one world dictator who rules with an iron fist, and makes PC gaming the only true way, and possession or discussion of consoles an offence punishable by the extermination of your entire family.

In North Korea, Games only played on PC!

Console player get executed on spot.

Reply #5 Posted: June 26, 2014, 03:47:21 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
The simple fact is it's a lot cheaper to get into console gaming than it is to get into PC gaming. There's a bigger demand for consoles, and so the market for developers gets orientated towards them. PCs are big and bulky, and expensive. Sales have been dropping for years because laptop and mobile devices have eclipsed them in terms of ease of use and mobility and because there's greater parity in computing power between mobile and desktop devices.

I'm sure the ease with which people can pirate computer games versus console has also had an impact. So too, the failure of PC games to accommodate multiplayer modes which don't require LAN or networked units has probably not helped. Children don't share well.

Sources please.

Reply #6 Posted: June 26, 2014, 04:56:19 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Sources please.

Stop being sensible. This is the internet!

Reply #7 Posted: June 26, 2014, 06:17:56 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

Sources please.

What do you need a source on?

Everyone knows children don't share well.

Reply #8 Posted: June 26, 2014, 06:22:40 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Sources please.

I'm not purporting to be some expert in the nuances of the gaming market. Largely the comments are reflective of my own observations as a consumer. Since your post, I have had a quick look for some information to check these.  You can check out this resource from 2006 to 2013 which provides a snapshot into the American market. I'm guessing that changes in income in India probably mean that different global trends are probably occurring as well. In terms of comparable markets, I'd suppose we're similar to the United States though.

I should add some qualifications to the statements made.

'a lot cheaper to get into console gaming' - in terms of initial outlay, I don't think that this is really that controversial. $650~ for an Xbox One or PS4 package and then roughly the same price for additional games (plus a larger second-hand market).

Bigger demand for consoles and the impact this has on development is precisely the sort of thing we have discussed in the OP.

The growth of mobile device gaming is obscured somewhat by the increase in digital full games.

The other statements made re pirating and multiplayer modes are propositions 'I'm sure' and 'Probably'. So feel free to rip them apart but I don't think they're unreasonable.

I'd be interested in your own analysis.

EDIT:http://igea.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/pwc-video-gaming-and-content-consumption.pdf
PWC industry study. N=570 and then focus groups. But from 2012, I think things will have changed a bit since then with Xbox One and PS4.

Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:54:26 pm by Tandoori

Reply #9 Posted: June 26, 2014, 06:43:09 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Don't hate consoles. They have their place.

Fucking riot against Ubisoft the scammy fucks. They've been doing this with all their games recently.

Have you heard the spin that Ubisoft are spewing after mods have been released to increase [Watch Dogs] the PC's visuals AFTER Ubisoft dumbed the game down? It's fucking deplorable.
Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:56:48 pm by Retardobot

Reply #10 Posted: June 26, 2014, 06:55:05 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
The cool thing is that newegg are about to start shipping to NZ, and amazon ship free to NZ when you spend over $125 and your item is less than ~18Kg (it should be)

Here's a machine I picked off /r/pcmasterrace

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8w4jNG

There's an excellent list of PC's here that blows away a current gen console
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds

I'm willing to concede that USD$522 ~= NZD$600 minus some shipping maybe.

So you get a $100 gift voucher with the graphics card.

So long as your orders are less than $400 you wont be slapped with GST (which on this order as a total would only be ~$128)

The games are cheaper too:

COD Ghosts
https://www.ebgames.co.nz/xbox-360-161126-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Limited-Edition-Xbox-360 $77
http://store.steampowered.com/app/209160/ $34

Watch_Dogs (the game that started it all)
https://www.ebgames.co.nz/ps4-161499-WatchDogs-PlayStation-4 $117
http://store.steampowered.com/app/243470/ ooh delux edition $98

Transistor (this is quite sick)
https://www.ebgames.co.nz/ps4-162898-Transistor-PlayStation-4 preorder for $128
http://store.steampowered.com/app/237930/ $20 oh and you can play it now!

Also as I go through the Playstation 4 games on EB games it's sad how few games there really are, and how many are preorder.
There are 3927 games on steam, some of those are preorder no doubt. But the computer is backwards compatible, which means I can play doom, and commander keen which is cool.

By the way, total respect to Tandoori, he's a clever guy and writes really critically. I'm just challenging his statements

I'm not seeing a convincing representation of PC gaming brands here:
http://www.theesa.com/about/members.asp

Some, granted, but there are some big brands absent.

I'm just saying I don't think console gaming is as accessible? Good? Awesome for everybody? (sorry my words are a bit crap, I pulled 10 hours today doing surface mount PCB assembly today - it's fucking cool but I'm exhaisted). I think pc gaming is more healthy than you think and I think there is evidence to support my claim.

Also innovation:
http://www.oculusvr.com/

Reply #11 Posted: June 26, 2014, 10:37:03 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Blind leading the blind.

Anyone care to tell me what this so called fucking "gap" is?

This perception, this shit, needs to be nipped in the bud before any progression can be made anywhere. The console Vs PC argument is full of obvious points for either side that render the already done-to-death argument moot. This circular logic is mental. Gaming is fucked. Politics rule that domain now, at least on the AAA front.

titanwho?

#delay
Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:26:49 am by swindle

Reply #12 Posted: June 27, 2014, 01:17:30 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.