Topic: TVs

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Hey guys,

Looking at upgrading my little 32" Sony Bravia that has done me exceedingly well for the past 5 years.

I have a budget of around $800 but if purchased from Harvey Norman I believe I can get a discount due to them offering discounts to those who are in the defence force (GF is in the air force).

What one of those look the best on paper?

http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tv-lcd-led-plasma/sony/48-inch-full-hd-smart-led-lcd-tv-sku-269625/
http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/televisions/led-lcd-televisions/samsung-48-full-hd-smart-led-lcd-tv-en.html
http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/televisions/led-lcd-televisions/panasonic-50-full-hd-led-lcd-tv-en.html
http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/televisions/led-lcd-televisions/panasonic-50-full-hd-led-lcd-tv-en-2.html

You might wonder why I don't just wait until the Boxing Day sales; fuck going into town on Boxing Day and dealing with the masses only to miss out because some idiot was waiting in line at 5am.

Certainly open to other suggestions, no real brand loyalty. Will be used for Blu Rays and Xbox.

Thanks!
Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:07:58 pm by Retardobot

Posted: December 11, 2014, 01:06:15 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Replied on GP

Reply #1 Posted: December 11, 2014, 02:04:36 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Thanks bro-tank!

EDIT: Also, you're a cunt. A clever cunt.

Reply #2 Posted: December 11, 2014, 02:28:02 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!

I will now write a properly reply :)

I thought most TV's have either IPS, or (P/M)VA panel variants. *VA usually being better than IPS.  don't know of any TV's that openly use TN panels.

From my first hand experience, and very "broad" i.e not model specific

Picture Quality
1) LG/Samsung - Bright/Clear/Crisp
2) Panasonic - Currently own an older 37" model, and the picture still holds up
3) Sony - Washed out colours/weird contrast

Spent a while looking at TV's with Nev, and we both preferred the LG pictures over the rest.

Software (SMART)
1) LG - Really enjoyed the interface, and the available functions
2) Samsung - (From a 55" Series 7) Clunky, and isn't easy to find your way around
3) Others (unrated)

If I was to recommend something at this point in time it would be:

http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tv-lcd-led-plasma/lg/42-inch-full-hd-smart-3d-led-lcd-tv-sku-269697/

Same thing at HN:

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/televisions/led-lcd-televisions/lg-42-full-hd-smart-3d-led-lcd-tv-en.html

- IPS (detailed)
- WiFi/LAN
- (My Preference of) Smart UI
Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:49:29 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #3 Posted: December 11, 2014, 02:32:37 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Champ.

Thanks, Xeno. This will give me a better idea of what to look for.

However, 42" is a little small. I've I'm buying a new set, I'd like to go to at least 48". Going from 32 to 42 doesn't seem worth it.

It might mean opening up my budget a little more.

Reply #4 Posted: December 11, 2014, 04:18:17 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
However, 42" is a little small. I've I'm buying a new set, I'd like to go to at least 48". Going from 32 to 42 doesn't seem worth it.

You always told me the size doesn't matter.

Reply #5 Posted: December 11, 2014, 04:21:01 pm

Offline Xenolightning

Champ.

Thanks, Xeno. This will give me a better idea of what to look for.

It might mean opening up my budget a little more.

There are bigger models of the exact same thing :P

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/televisions/led-lcd-televisions/lg-55-full-hd-led-lcd-tv.html

There's also a 50" available if you manage to find one.

Reply #6 Posted: December 11, 2014, 05:06:00 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...

From my first hand experience, and very "broad" i.e not model specific

Picture Quality
1) LG/Samsung - Bright/Clear/Crisp
2) Panasonic - Currently own an older 37" model, and the picture still holds up
3) Sony - Washed out colours/weird contrast

When I looked about a year ago I found the Sony's to have the best picture quality, while the Samsung and particularly the LG's looked like crap (washed out colour, huge pixels and juttering/banding across the screen [like it needed vsync or something]). Maybe best to go into a store and view them before purchasing.

Reply #7 Posted: December 11, 2014, 09:01:08 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Let me know what model you decide on and I'll give you a price.

I also have a Sony KDL46W700 and a Panasonic THP42UT50 going for cheaps if any of them would do you.

Just realised you ain't in Auckland - still ill give you a price for current models.

Reply #8 Posted: December 13, 2014, 09:37:22 pm

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
I got a 47" LG smart TV a few months ago ($950 on special) and the picture quality is great and I agree with xeno the interface is quite good. The one thing I don't like about it is that you cant watch streaming videos via the web browser on it as I tried to get streaming cricket via crictime.com but I read it only has shockwave flash version 8 on it, maybe it will get updated via one of the OS updates? but it does have a dedicated youtube app and twitch streams fine (maybe HTML5 streaming?). Overall I'm happy with it, I have "smartshare" on my computer which does the DLNA thing so I can watch stuff on the TV from my computer.

Reply #9 Posted: December 15, 2014, 05:44:07 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)