Topic: Global Game Jam

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Is being held next weekend, January 23 - 25

New Zealand locations are Waikato University and Media Design School in Auckland.
http://globalgamejam.org/2015/jam-sites?title=&country=NZ&locality=&=Find

It's been lots of fun the last few times I've done it.

While there's lots of programmers and artists, you don't need any certain skills to participate. Anyone is welcome to come along.

Posted: January 16, 2015, 06:50:20 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Is being held next weekend, January 23 - 25

New Zealand locations are Waikato University and Media Design School in Auckland.
http://globalgamejam.org/2015/jam-sites?title=&country=NZ&locality=&=Find

It's been lots of fun the last few times I've done it.

While there's lots of programmers and artists, you don't need any certain skills to participate. Anyone is welcome to come along.
This post got buried under a pile of updated recent posts!!
This would be interesting to go to and watch. I wonder if the media design school is the same one that had a display at the Auckland Armageddon this year
NZNew Zealand Hamilton, WKO 5 Jan Bill Rogers
Join This Jam Site
R Block Ground Floor, Labs 6 and 7
Via Gate 8Hillcrest RoadHamilton Waikato 3216New Zealand
Entrance Fee:
$25
Hours:
Open for entire 48 hours
Who Can Participate:
Anyone
Age Restrictions:
15+
Food Options:
Meals provided on site.
Available Tools or Technology:
Lab computers, network access
Auditorium Space:
This site has auditorium space available for post-Jam presentations.

Media Design School
NZNew Zealand Auckland, AUK 7 Oct a. tece bayrak, Media Design School
Media Design School Level 16
92 Albert StreetAuckland Auckland 1010New Zealand
Notes:
More information will be provided soon. Watch this space...

http://www.mediadesignschool.com
Entrance Fee:
Free
Hours:
Open for entire 48 hours
Who Can Participate:
Anyone
Age Restrictions:
16+
Food Options:
Access to food in close vicinity. Drinks and snacks provided on site.
Available Tools or Technology:
Power, computers, internet, Wi-Fi, water, tea and coffee making facilities.
This site has onsite security.
Auditorium Space:
This site has auditorium space available for post-Jam presentations.

Reply #1 Posted: January 17, 2015, 11:27:46 am
I am now banned from GetSome

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
This would be interesting to go to and watch. I wonder if the media design school is the same one that had a display at the Auckland Armageddon this year

You don't go and just watch, you join in.

Yes, same media design school.

Reply #2 Posted: January 18, 2015, 11:25:04 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

You don't go and just watch, you join in.

Yes, same media design school.
If by "Join in" you mean yell "Just make Flappy Bird!" then I would be all up ons

Reply #3 Posted: January 18, 2015, 12:22:33 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

What is this. Is this really 2015?

Migi Osu Trailer
In this game you keep moving left until someone falls off. Then the other player 'wins'

This game only has losers. The ones who made it and the ones who play it
You can play it here
http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/migi-osu/39713/
And it is on steam
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=345466677

Reply #4 Posted: January 19, 2015, 10:19:37 am

In this game you keep moving left until someone falls off. Then the other player 'wins'

Game looks awesome, i'd play it.

And it's right you nub,

Reply #5 Posted: January 19, 2015, 10:26:54 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Game looks awesome, i'd play it.
It took a team of people to make that game
To be honest, its incompetence may annoy me enough to make a game
And it's right you nub,
Right - Left Confusion is one of the symptoms of genius

Reply #6 Posted: January 19, 2015, 11:06:32 am

Offline Tiwaking!

It looks like Scotland is preparing for the Game Jam as well! I expect to see at least one haggis related game come from there
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/video-games/jon-brady-scotlands-game-makers-tomorrow-5011609
Scotland's game-makers of tomorrow gear up for 48-hour hackathon
Jan 20, 2015 18:27

JON discusses the Global Game Jam as more than 300 students and professionals prepare to descend on universities in Dundee and Glasgow for the event.

STUDENTS all across Scotland are preparing to take part in a worldwide marathon game jam – which will see IT whizzes create entire computer games in just 48 hours.

This weekend’s Global Game Jam will see computer programmers, artists, sound experts and designers team up at 500 sites across the globe build brand new, pioneering computer games, board games and even card games.

Last year an incredible 4,289 games were created in 73 countries in just two days at the global event.

Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) and Abertay University in Dundee will host two of the UK’s largest events, which invites both aspiring students and industry professionals to work together in an explosion of creativity and teamwork.

GCU expects 200 people to attend their event while Abertay will host around 150 for the weekend.

Some games created at game jam events have gone on to become fully-fledged titles: Lub vs Dub, an action game for two players, was created at the 2013 Scottish Game Jam at GCU and has since gone on to become a chart-topping iPad app in 30 countries.

And university teaching staff hope more best-selling games are created during this weekend’s Jam – to keep Scotland at the forefront of the gaming industry.

Reply #7 Posted: January 21, 2015, 08:26:43 am

STUDENTS all across Scotland are preparing to take part in a worldwide marathon game jam – which will see IT whizzes create entire computer games in just 48 hours.

I'm not a student, nor am I an IT whizz.

I find both terms derogatory.

And it's not a hackathon. I don't associate with hacks.

Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:46:47 am by Spacemonkeyorsarus

Reply #8 Posted: January 21, 2015, 09:00:38 am

Here it is, my teams game.

http://globalgamejam.org/2015/games/alpha-duck-5100-portrait-perfection

The download contains a encrypted zip file, and a video which contains clues to the password.

The encrypted zip file contains a second video with clues, and so on.

Enjoy my terrible acting skills (I'm the one wearing the black shirt and tie).

Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:08:16 pm by Spacemonkeyorsarus

Reply #9 Posted: January 26, 2015, 01:41:00 pm

And other games from the 2015 Auckland Global Game Jam

http://globalgamejam.org/2015/jam-sites/media-design-school/games

Reply #10 Posted: January 26, 2015, 01:42:53 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

162 MB?!?!

edit: Playing "A Bottle Of Game Jam". Found a programmer. Selected "Talk To"

Good for nothing programmers :\
Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:07:26 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #11 Posted: January 26, 2015, 02:03:15 pm

162 MB?!?!

It's a full motion video, alternate reality game about a real game made for a console that doesn't exist.

We'll probably also uploaded a smaller version an host the video bits on youtube.

Reply #12 Posted: January 26, 2015, 02:06:29 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

I found a person so it seemed
But she did not want to join my team
My game jam plan might be a pipe dream
This game is so very mean :(

edit: Turns out the team failed to make a game with two members and 5 seconds of gameplay
PFFFF
Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:18:06 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #13 Posted: January 26, 2015, 02:11:59 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

I very much enjoy this game. It just requires a better display scheme i.e Display Team Members and their abilities, show how much time left and used up in the Find Group, Programming, Submit Game phases
Genre: Abstract Simulation
Gameplay 4/5
User Interface 2/5
Engagement 3/5
Total: 3/5

Pros
Simple
Good player engagement, Player feels involved in all steps of the process

Cons
No instructions
Poor User Interface provides very little feedback to the player
Time Left Indicator needs to be more prominent
No endgame

edit: Please note that this score may be influenced by the fact my game got a score of -185
Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:30:11 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #14 Posted: January 26, 2015, 02:26:06 pm